Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for Apartment Buzzers

Options
  • 12-12-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Looks like a fairly nifty solution for when you need to give people access to your apartment block but don't want to give them a Front Door key.

Seems to hook into your Door Intercom and then activate it that way.

Also has some features like GPS Based Entry, adding guests and time based entry.

Anyone here tried it ?

https://www.nello.io/en/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting I've been thinking about automating this.

Only issue is that it looks like you can't remotely speak to the person over the intercom, which I would have thought would be important for a device like this.

I suppose you could use it for just getting into and out of the building without keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

bk wrote: »

Only issue is that it looks like you can't remotely speak to the person over the intercom, which I would have thought would be important for a device like this.

I suppose you could use it for just getting into and out of the building without keys.
    I think it is designed for use where an intercom already exists? So if you have a random visitor, they ring like normal and you talk to them through the intercom (and can usually use this to let them in)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it is designed for use where an intercom already exists? So if you have a random visitor, they ring like normal and you talk to them through the intercom (and can usually use this to let them in)

Yes, I know, I've an intercom like that. What I mean is that it looks like this only allows you to remotely open the door via the intercom. It doesn't look like it allows you to remotely talk to the person over the intercom.

As in if your out and someone buzzs the intercom, you wouldn't know.

I would have thought that it would be possible to build a smart intercom, that replaces the old intercom phone in your hall with a new unit, that could "forward" the call to the intercom to your mobile via the app, when out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im looking for something like this but seems to fall just short of ticking enough boxes for me. DoorBird do a unit to upgrade an analogue intercom to IP but im not convinced that they have all the kinks worked out of their stuff enough to commit to it yet.

Rew wrote: »
    Im looking for something like this but seems to fall just short of ticking enough boxes for me. DoorBird do a unit to upgrade an analogue intercom to IP but im not convinced that they have all the kinks worked out of their stuff enough to commit to it yet.

Ah, yes, that is more like what I was thinking. Thanks.

€250 and looks like it needs power, so would need an electrician. So a bit pricey, but certainly worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.doorbird.com/analog-intercom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

For me it's mainly that our landlord won't let us make duplicate keys for the front door, so to let a cleaner in etc is a problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ah, yes, that is more like what I was thinking. Thanks.

€250 and looks like it needs power, so would need an electrician. So a bit pricey, but certainly worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.doorbird.com/analog-intercom

For what it is I think its pretty reasonable but the reviews for their stuff seem to be "when it works its great but when it doesn't its a real pain"

I thought long and hard before I went ahead on the bog standard intercom, ill wait for a more stable solution but might use a Pi and a relay to add HomeKit open close in the mean time.

Advertisement