Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat died today

Options
  • 12-12-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Feel so silly. I'm absolutely devastated.

My little pal passed away this morning. I picked her out of the litter in the vets 20 years ago and have had her since. She stayed on with my parents when I moved out.

My dad saw her this morning and she came up for a pet. He left the kitchen for 5 mins and when he came back in, she had passed away.

In recent months, she had kidney disease which seemed to have worsened more recently and was due for another appointment in the vets tomorrow.

Devastated is not the word, not just me of course but my whole family. Have a splitting migraine from crying all day long. Also dreading telling my 4 year old son. The thoughts of work tomorrow is killing me because I can't stop crying. I better pull myself together for tomorrow.

Apologies for this thread. I need to just get it off my chest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi OP, so very very sorry for your loss.

Losing a pet is as traumatic as losing a family or friend so don’t beat yourself up about it, grieve, accept and remember and take your time doing so.

When I lost my favourite kitty after 22 years, I was so grief stricken I had to delay some uni exams, this was many years ago, but still the grief remains tho much less.

Over the rainbow bridge we see them go, but knowing we did the best we could for them the short time they are with us brings everlasting joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry for your loss op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

cruais wrote: »
    Feel so silly. I'm absolutely devastated.

My little pal passed away this morning. I picked her out of the litter in the vets 20 years ago and have had her since. She stayed on with my parents when I moved out.

My dad saw her this morning and she came up for a pet. He left the kitchen for 5 mins and when he came back in, she had passed away.

In recent months, she had kidney disease which seemed to have worsened more recently and was due for another appointment in the vets tomorrow.

Devastated is not the word, not just me of course but my whole family. Have a splitting migraine from crying all day long. Also dreading telling my 4 year old son. The thoughts of work tomorrow is killing me because I can't stop crying. I better pull myself together for tomorrow.

Apologies for this thread. I need to just get it off my chest.

Sorry to hear that OP, Losing a pet is devastating. Lost a dog months ago and still heart broken over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

20 years for a cat is a good life, and it also seems to have had a peaceful death.

I put mine down a couple of years ago because she had started to become incontinent and had arthritis, but I still feel guilty over it: having a vet come into the home (whom she was naturally afraid of) and having him inject her with poison.

Hmm. I probably shouldn't have clicked on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Try to take comfort in that she had a good and happy life with you and your parents. Also that she passed at home and that she was in comfortable and familiar surroundings.

<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. Like another poster mentioned above about their cat, she also began to become incontinent the last couple of days.

My dad was suddenly hospitalised 2 weeks ago and was finally discharged yesterday evening. I just found it strange that she passed this morning not long after he came home and now like to think she waited for him.

We are happy that we didn't have to make the difficult decision to put her down as that was probably what I had to speak to the vet about had we went to her appointment tomorrow and also that she passed in her own home. Just really hope this sadness will pass. The grieve is on par with a family member dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

im so sorry for you.
    losing a pet is heart breaking. we are an animal mad household and have always adored our pets. each loss has been devastating even when age or illness were the cause.
    weve been blessed to have had each of our dogs 18 years and 14 years and our current little madam is 11.
    our cats, all 4, are 12, 11, and two 10 yos. the thought of losing them is too much to bear.

my heart goes out to you and your little boy on your loss. take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I'm so sorry for you. I know it is a hearbreaking time at the minute but please try and take comfort from the fact that ye gave her a wonderful life and she passed away at peace in her own cosy home after a reassuring pet from her family.
    Take care of yourself and I know right now it might be almost too painful to even let her into your thoughts as you have to try and stay not upset at work but allow yourself to have a little cry at home you have to grieve and trust me at a time down the road you can look back and remember all her little antics and even smile when you think of her and not feel the desolation your feeling at the moment but remember the happy times ye had together. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sorry for your loss op. Your little cat lived for quite long, that is really nice, 20 years is a great age for a cat. I’m sure she was very well looked after and she would have known that . I would also try to think how happy and comfortable her life was due to you finding her and looking after her so well compared to what it could have been .

It is really nice that her last experience was nice and it sounds very peaceful in her own environment. I find when cats are old and become unwell that it is usually downhill very quickly and
    Can be quite traumatising when that happens

We had to get vet to come to house for one of hours and it was very upsetting. We also had to decide to put sick to sleep and it was terrible putting off the inevitable.

You are right in thinking you probably would have had to make really hard decision in vets, that decision has been made for you now. I hope you are ok, very upsetting for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

So sorry for your loss, OP. Your beloved pet lived a full and happy life and passed away peacefully - a lot to be thankful for.

A couple of years ago, a cat of mine developed the same symptoms as yours. I knew it was the end for her and took her to the vet so that her suffering would not be prolonged. He asked me to put my hand on her while he administered the injection. Her death was instantaneous and pain-free, it seemed. I'm just saying that in reply to a description given by another poster on your thread re the reality of humane euthanasia - how it's done. I was in floods of tears from grief leaving the vet's surgery. He actually wrote me a beautiful sympathy letter afterward. A great vet.

God bless, OP. Allow yourself to grieve, it's totally natural in the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sorry for your loss op. Your little cat lived for quite long, that is really nice, 20 years is a great age for a cat. I’m sure she was very well looked after and she would have known that . I would also try to think how happy and comfortable her life was due to you finding her and looking after her so well compared to what it could have been .

It is really nice that her last experience was nice and it sounds very peaceful in her own environment. I find when cats are old and become unwell that it is usually downhill very quickly and
    Can be quite traumatising when that happens

We had to get vet to come to house for one of hours and it was very upsetting. We also had to decide to put sick to sleep and it was terrible putting off the inevitable.

You are right in thinking you probably would have had to make really hard decision in vets, that decision has been made for you now. I hope you are ok, very upsetting for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cruais wrote: »
    Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. Like another poster mentioned above about their cat, she also began to become incontinent the last couple of days.

My dad was suddenly hospitalised 2 weeks ago and was finally discharged yesterday evening. I just found it strange that she passed this morning not long after he came home and now like to think she waited for him.

We are happy that we didn't have to make the difficult decision to put her down as that was probably what I had to speak to the vet about had we went to her appointment tomorrow and also that she passed in her own home. Just really hope this sadness will pass. The grieve is on par with a family member dying.

Blessings, prayers and tears from here. Still sore at heart after losing my dog and cat the same weekend recently

And yes, heartfelt relief that no vet needed.

Just be very kind to thee. Took me weeks even to tell folk here; I went offline for quite a while,

Healing will come, slowly . Salt water is very good for healing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ah so sad to hear. Sound like she had a content happy life with you and what more can one hope for out of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sorry for that.

Makes me feel bad for scolding mine earlier, she left a magpie for us with one leg eaten off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Been there OP.
    She was a part of your family and obviously very well looked after and very happy to be so for 20 years.
    Condolences x

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Sorry to hear about your cat and what a great lengthy life, ye were lucky, that's a great length of time .
    Cats somehow just become part of the family, have spent time crying over pets and being very upset but it's the circle of life and when the time is right you might consider taking one from animal shelter, my present two cats were dumped which is horrible as one had to have his leg amputated possibly as a result of being thrown from a car the vet said, but doing great on three legs.

Be kind to yourself and a bit of kindness is lovely whether it is to our fellow humans or animals.
    Hope your dad is doing well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry to for the loss of your little cat :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Hey soo sorry about your cat what an amazing age you must have been a very good owner RIP little cat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Don’t feel silly, pets are awesome.

florawest wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your cat and what a great lengthy life, ye were lucky, that's a great length of time .
    Cats somehow just become part of the family, have spent time crying over pets and being very upset but it's the circle of life and when the time is right you might consider taking one from animal shelter, my present two cats were dumped which is horrible as one had to have his leg amputated possibly as a result of being thrown from a car the vet said, but doing great on three legs.

Be kind to yourself and a bit of kindness is lovely whether it is to our fellow humans or animals.
    Hope your dad is doing well too.

when my dog and cat died within 24 hrs of each other recently, I did what I always do. Been taking in rescues for years so as soon as I have room, I gather in more needy cats. Not in any way a replacement but an honourin g of how much the lost ones meant . There are so many needy cats out there. I have three new friends who are valued and happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I also think your cat was waiting for your dad to come back home, to say him good-bye.
    Animals are wonderful in this, they can wait for weeks if needed, and the waiting is a sign of how much they loved you.

Your cat lived 20 years, another clue of how much she was loved, looked after and well treated. She will never stop thanking you for the immense love you gave her, and will look after you from the Bridge, where, I'm sure, all of us will meet our beloved furry friends one day.

Hugs to you and your family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Im so sorry to hear your cat passed away OP.

I love my cat, she is like our child, she has such a lovely nature and I will be devastated when her time comes.

Its great that your cat had a long life with people who loved her and a peaceful death. You both gave each other a lot of comfort and love in 20 years and kudos to you and your family for taking in and loving an animal.

Keep her memory alive by talking about her, I still often remember fondly my various pets through the years and am happy for them that they had good lives even though I still miss them.

I hope you are all doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

So sorry to hear about your little fur baby. Its always so hard to see them go. You sound like you gave her a fantastic life and loved her to the end. And she loved her non fur family back.

So remember the good times and keep them close because for as long as you live, she lives on with you.

Its ok to cry too, she wasn't just a cat, she was your companion and friend and its difficult when they leave.

Great big hugs.

loss-of-a-cat-quotes-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

OP, I read this with great sadness earlier in the week and have been meaning to post to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

Our pets are in our hearts and souls,come to think of it they are always there with us,curled up on sofas,at the end of beds, sunning themselves outdoors with us in summer,by the fire in winter and my kitty even goes for little walks with me. So it is totally normal to feel a gut wrenching void that devastates us when the time comes to say goodbye. Nothing silly in that. And after 20 years it will feel huge.

Your kitty deffo waited for your dad to come home and it's lovely that the little dear had a peaceful passing at home. You gave her a wonderful loving life and she returned that love in that special way of our furry friends and she will live on with you in your hearts.

Peace and blessings to you OP and hope you feel better soon.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Kitty was so lucky to get picked from that litter by such a nice family. It’s so sad when they have to leave. Sorry for your sadness this Christmas

Missing my two more than ever just now. Thankful for the newbies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ah that's heartbreaking cruais. Awful time of year and crap timing with your dad having health concerns recently. Plus, it's absolutely gutting if a beloved pet dies after a much shorter period of time than 20 years, so she was part of the furniture. My parents have a cat only a year - whole family crazy about him. I love visiting them but particularly with him there now. :D He's a mature little guy so we don't know how long he has, and even after this short period of time we dread the idea of him getting old and going.

But... while you'll miss your cat terribly, what a lovely long happy comfortable life she had. :) It has to happen, and it happened the best way it could - old age (rather than an injury or illness when younger) and with very little suffering just before she passed. And loved greatly. Keep remembering that. :)

I think it's really lovely too that she hung around until your dad was discharged from hospital. I know it's probably a coincidence but I bet it feels comforting.

Advertisement