Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subsistence Allowance - Domestic

• 11-12-2018 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

What exactly does the flat rate subsistence cover? I understand it can cover lunch etc.. (over 5 hours etc..)

Is the flat rate designed to go towards any expense incurred while away from your normal place of work such as laundry, use of car (separate to mileage) etc..

Just trying to understand what subsistence means, I get that go towards lunch etc.. but didnt know what else it was meant to compensate.

Any guidance be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

An Cigire wrote: »
    What exactly does the flat rate subsistence cover? I understand it can cover lunch etc.. (over 5 hours etc..)

Is the flat rate designed to go towards any expense incurred while away from your normal place of work such as laundry, use of car (separate to mileage) etc..

Just trying to understand what subsistence means, I get that go towards lunch etc.. but didnt know what else it was meant to compensate.

Cheers

This is as good as you are going to get I think.

"The subsistence allowance payable is not intended to meet the whole cost of
    subsistence when absent from home and headquarters and is not intended to be a
    source of emolument or profit.\0"

http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/1982/11.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

This is as good as you are going to get I think.

"The subsistence allowance payable is not intended to meet the whole cost of
    subsistence when absent from home and headquarters and is not intended to be a
    source of emolument or profit.\0"

http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/1982/11.pdf

That would seem to be only directed at civil servants.

What exactly in people experience would subsistence be expected to help compensate towards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

That would seem to be only directed at civil servants.

What exactly in people experience would subsistence be expected to help compensate towards?

What did you think subsistence was based on? Employers can operate a vouched expenses system or use the civil service system paying up to the maximum civil service rates.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/reimbursement-rates.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Cheers

Your question is what qualifies as subsistence.
    The rule of thumb is that only those expenses which are exclusively related to your work qualify as subsistence.

For example does paying your hotel for extra TV channels in your hotel room qualify as subsistence? Could you justify this as subsistence to a tax inspector during an audit?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 train.up.

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread, but is the subsistence claimed back by the employer from revenue or who covers the cost of the subsistence?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement