Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air

Options
  • 25-01-2015 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in Travel or Aviation so fell free to move..

I'm looking at booking a flight from Dublin to Bangkok during the Summer and Norwegian are by far the cheapest at only £225 one way. Problem is, it includes an 11 and a half hour flight from Oslo to Bangkok so naturally I'd like a bit of comfort. It's listed as a Dreamliner flight so Im sure it's above Ryanair standard but I'm still a bit sceptical. Does anyone have any experience of this route or the airline in general? Reviews I've read elsewhere were generally positive if a bit mixed.

The other alternatives I've found are Turkish, Emirates and Etihad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My sister flew LGW-LAX with them and said they were fine. I mean you have to pay for baggage, a seat assignment and any kind of food that you might want, but apart from that. She recommended paying extra to get the extra legroom seat, but that could just be her being spoilt :P!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Like any airline, they have their admirers and their disgruntled customers. I've flown six times with them in Europe and found them excellent.

Here's lots of reviews

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/norwegian.htm

And a in-depth review of the Asian flight here

http://www.gotravelyourway.com/2013/10/15/review-norwegian-air-shuttle-boeing-787-dreamliner/

If you know what's coming in terms of found/drink etc. then you can mitigate most of the problems beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Sorry only reading this now, I'd already read that in depth review and for the most part it seems quite positive, the airline in general is a bit more mixed but as a budget airline I suppose thats always going to be the case. Still a bit concerned with a 12 hour flight time compared to nearly half that for the alternatives but at half the price of Etihad and Emirates it might be worth the trade off. Normally I'd have no hesitation in booking the cheapest flight but I've never been on a proper long hall flight so naturally comfort and service becomes a much bigger issue.

A bit more reading before I book I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'll be flying with them in Europe in the Summer. I've read good things about them and looking forward to flying with them (Wifi on plane :) ) I wouldn't be too worried though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

I am in bkk, this is another option i might use for my 2/3 trip back each year have abandoned eithad plagued with frequent delays.
    From and to Ireland I have been flying ex Amsterdam to bkk its a similar distance to Oslo 11/12 hour with no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Just wondering how good Norwegian is? Might fly bangkok to Oslo with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Food is mighty expensive so bring a picnic. Otherwise they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

I've used Norwegian regularly between Oslo and Dublin, and they really have gotten a *pleasant* low fares concept down to a tee.

Their short-haul fleet are mostly 737-800 with upgraded "sky" interiors and in-flight entertainment screens fitted onto the overhead bins. The sound-jack rarely works for these, but thankfully they choose programs that don't require sound, or have subtitles to read. The seating is comfortable and on par with your average 737.

On their short-haul I have found them to be mostly punctual and their service staff have been friendly and easy to deal with. I have had only one cancellation with them due to heavy snow at Dublin, for which they efficiently got me booked onto another flight. I recommend them for short-haul.

I have not used them for long-haul yet, but I would recommend caution.

With any luck Norwegian are working on the problems, but they have earned themselves a bad name here in Norway due to a series of problems with their Dreamliners. They have spread their available fleet of 787s out very thinly across their bases, and any technical issue with one of the aircraft can cause massive delays or cancellations.

From what I have been reading from reviews and the media here, some passengers have occasionally found themselves stranded at the destination for extreme amounts of time due to a lack of aircraft to collect them. Norwegian are not in an alliance, and their only other option are wet-leased old A330 from Euro-Atlantic who have also received poor reviews.

If you do book with them, with any luck no problems happen and it will be a pleasant ride much like their short-haul. But I recommend preparing yourself for delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tricky2beat

Lived in Norway for 5 years and have used them loads. They are low fare but easily the best I've been on. I recommend them for the cost and new planes. Free wifi is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Apologies for dragging up a 3-year old thread, please feel free to separate this query out if you want.....

I've just booked flights from Dublin-Oslo-Bergen, with a 1hr 15min stopover.

It's not clear to me if Norwegian are a point-to-point airline like Ryanair, meaning I have to collect my bag and check in again, or if I (and my bags) will be checked through the whole way.

Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Apologies for dragging up a 3-year old thread, please feel free to separate this query out if you want.....

I've just booked flights from Dublin-Oslo-Bergen, with a 1hr 15min stopover.

It's not clear to me if Norwegian are a point-to-point airline like Ryanair, meaning I have to collect my bag and check in again, or if I (and my bags) will be checked through the whole way.

Anyone know?

Did you book in one go or was it DUB-OSLO and OSLO-BERGEN with 2 different reference numbers? If its on the same reference number i believe your bags should be transfered in Oslo by the airport crew onto your next flight

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Did you book in one go or was it DUB-OSLO and OSLO-BERGEN with 2 different reference numbers? If its on the same reference number i believe your bags should be transfered in Oslo by the airport crew onto your next flight
    Booked all in one go on the Norwegian website.

Yes, I thought that as well, and there's nothing to indicate that I won't be checked through - but just knowing that they're a budget airline, I wondered if they were also point-to-point. Hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Booked all in one go on the Norwegian website.

Yes, I thought that as well, and there's nothing to indicate that I won't be checked through - but just knowing that they're a budget airline, I wondered if they were also point-to-point. Hopefully not!

Yes, they're a budget airline but they still do connecting flights so you're bags will be transferred. Other European budget airlines like Vueling, Eurowings and airBaltic also sell connections through their hubs. Even Ryanair do connections on a very limited scale. From Dublin the only connecting destinations are Brindisi and Lamezia Terme (via Bergamo).

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes, they're a budget airline but they still do connecting flights so you're bags will be transferred. Other European budget airlines like Vueling, Eurowings and airBaltic also sell connections through their hubs. Even Ryanair do on a very limited scale From Dublin the only connecting destinations are Brindisi and Lamezia Terms (via Bergamo).
    Excellent! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

The bags should follow if on a through ticket. Here's the info for Domestic Transfer at OSL:

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/plan-your-trip/transfer/domestic-transfer

Be aware that you'll have to go through a Schengen Passport check before you get to any of that.

Advertisement