Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart lights vs smart switches

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    These lads:
    https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail

There are also the LightwaveRF switches, they work too. In the case of LED's, you need to use dimmable ones, I think behind the scenes they are acting more like dimmer switches, even if only one button.

Yep, that makes sense, its a dimmer in effect, so you would need to be aware of the limitations. As you said, dimmable led bulbs only, and also there is the load limints, 5w min load for led bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Anyone seen more news on the compatible philips hue switches?

Also, Sonoff are no go for me, I don't have a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭paulbok

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Anyone seen more news on the compatible philips hue switches?

Also, Sonoff are no go for me, I don't have a neutral.

Nothing except for some Twitter activity and other posters have emailed the suppliers about release dates. Due end of the month from some.
    Philips confirmed to me that they do replace the existing light switch (so you don't have two switches on the wall) but nothing I've read from the suppliers confirm this. All images point to a flat wireless device and they even mention some don't need a battery, they work off kinetic energy like the Hue tap switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thirdly, a golden rule with your solution, whatver it is, make sure it is two way, ie manual activation of the light switch will update the status of your light to the app/controlller/hub.

Just going back to this on the first page.

If I have "normal" light switches, and get a Hue hub with hue bulbs, I assume I'll have to leave my switches "on" for the bulb to receive power, and then can control it on/off from the app or whatever?
    And if someone wanted to control it normally, they could just use the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Soarer wrote: »
    Just going back to this on the first page.

If I have "normal" light switches, and get a Hue hub with hue bulbs, I assume I'll have to leave my switches "on" for the bulb to receive power, and then can control it on/off from the app or whatever?
    And if someone wanted to control it normally, they could just use the switch?

The problem is that just once they turn it off from a normal switch then the app or whatever wouldn't work as the bulb isn't getting any power.

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Nothing except for some Twitter activity and other posters have emailed the suppliers about release dates. Due end of the month from some.
    Philips confirmed to me that they do replace the existing light switch (so you don't have two switches on the wall) but nothing I've read from the suppliers confirm this. All images point to a flat wireless device and they even mention some don't need a battery, they work off kinetic energy like the Hue tap switch.

I skipped a few pages in the middle of this thread, so this may have been addressed alreday. My understanding of what is coming from Philip's partners is that they are simply Wifi switches but in a nice decor friendly form. They are *not* smart swtiches in the normal meaning of that phrase, they wouldn't turn on or off the power at the wall. They might use power from the wall to power themselves (though actually I suspect they are all going to be kinetic) but they wouldn't switch the power. There is no way Philips is going down that road anytime soon when they are getting approx 20e a pop for GU10 ambient white bulbs.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I skipped a few pages in the middle of this thread, so this may have been addressed alreday. My understanding of what is coming from Philip's partners is that they are simply Wifi switches but in a nice decor friendly form. They are *not* smart swtiches in the normal meaning of that phrase, they wouldn't turn on or off the power at the wall. They might use power from the wall to power themselves (though actually I suspect they are all going to be kinetic) but they wouldn't switch the power. There is no way Philips is going down that road anytime soon when they are getting approx 20e a pop for GU10 ambient white bulbs.

Yep unfortunately. One of the suppliers of the Niko switches Suoer Modular, confirmed they are just wireless (like the Hue dinner). Will be available end of next week. Gave a price of €95 for two switches but going by the image they sent that may be just for one 2 gang switch :eek:
    Asked them to clarify. They will only have a 2 gang available in stainless steel or white to start with.
    Look nice but not what I need. Can't see it being any different with the other suppliers.
    The search continues...

The problem is that just once they turn it off from a normal switch then the app or whatever wouldn't work as the bulb isn't getting any power.

So say, as an example, I want to automate stuff with a Hue hub but SWMBO doesn't.

She comes home of an evening, and turns on the lights in the normal way.
    Me, going to bed later, have a routine enabled that turns off all the lights in one go, but leaves the switches on.
    In the morning, for herself to turn on the light(s) again, it's a simple case of turning the switch off and back on?

So say, as an example, I want to automate stuff with a Hue hub but SWMBO doesn't.

Me, going to bed later, have a routine enabled that turns off all the lights in one go, but leaves the switches on.
    In the morning, for herself to turn on the light(s) again, it's a simple case of turning the switch off and back on?

In that specific scenario, yes :D I suspect the reality is that once S/HWMBO is touching the switch you are into chaos...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What are the best uses for smart switches?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

In that specific scenario, yes :D I suspect the reality is that once S/HWMBO is touching the switch you are into chaos...

Already in chaos! This is just an extra layer! :D

This latest info is a bit of a disappointment. But I guess, in theory, you can replace all your existing real switches, with wifi and then you have everything in sync, right? How does the wifi switch, ties to a specific room/bulbs?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I found that the easiest thing to do was to just cover the physical switch and put a Philips dimmer switch over it and the SWMBO and other visiting family (grandparents, baby sitters, etc.) happily used the philips switch instead and then there were no issues with it being switch off.

bk wrote: »
    I found that the easiest thing to do was to just cover the physical switch and put a Philips dimmer switch over it and the SWMBO and other visiting family (grandparents, baby sitters, etc.) happily used the philips switch instead and then there were no issues with it being switch off.

Sounds easier for them, but a lot of work for me!

Must look into it. Most/All of our switches are double switches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds easier for them, but a lot of work for me!

Must look into it. Most/All of our switches are double switches.

I covered my double switch without any issue.

The question is do you need to still control both sets of lights or will one do?

In my living room, I had 4 GU10's, divided in two per double switch. I just replaced it with one Hue dimmer switch, that controls all four as one (I can always use voice control or app to control them independently).

If you wanted to keep two switches, you have three options:
    - Two Hue Dimmer switches, to replicated separate switches.
    - One Hue Dimmer switch can be programmed to control two different sets of lights or even four if you wanted with the app iConnectHue on iphone. Basically you make one button a toggle on/off.
    - The friends of Hue switches which will be introduced in a few weeks if you want something "nicer" looking.

My problem is that I have some lights (gy6 type) that I can't replace with smart bulbs, and others I would prefer to just have a smart dimmer switch than a bulb.
    I also want to have all switch plates the same in the house, so wiring on, blank plate and new Hue switch would only work for some.

My problem is that I have some lights (gy6 type) that I can't replace with smart bulbs, and others I would prefer to just have a smart dimmer switch than a bulb.
    I also want to have all switch plates the same in the house, so wiring on, blank plate and new Hue switch would only work for some.

You could give this supposedly Zigbee/Hue compatible light switch a try and let us know how it goes :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SmartThings-Lightify-Downlights-Automation-Standard/dp/B07GSPJW93/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542312376&sr=8-3&keywords=zigbee+switch

Note it requires Neutral at your wall switch.

An bord pleanala (wife) definitely wouldn't like that.
    I have a demanding set of criteria for whatever switches I get, looks, dimmable, connect to existing wiring.
    So I will have to hold fire until something comes on the market or 'make' my own with a nice looking dumb wall switch and something like an Aeotec dimmer switch installed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

An bord pleanala (wife) definitely wouldn't like that.
    I have a demanding set of criteria for whatever switches I get, looks, dimmable, connect to existing wiring.
    So I will have to hold fire until something comes on the market or 'make' my own with a nice looking dumb wall switch and something like an Aeotec dimmer switch installed with it.

Have a look at fibaro in line dimmable modules some dont require a neutral.

That and click infinnity wall switches and you can have standard looking wall switches as well

• Advertisement

I think where it becomes annoying with the wifi switches is when you have difference places that you turn on the lights from a single switch. For example i have one with 4 buttons, that turn on seperately kitchen/utility/outside back and front. I don't think you can achieve the same things from a single wifi switch.

Just contacted www.dmlights.co.uk, Hue compatible Niko switches will come in stock in February.

https://www.lightgallery.com/fr/promotions/NIKO/

Apparently you can buy them. Pricey!

AstraMonti wrote: »
    https://www.lightgallery.com/fr/promotions/NIKO/

Apparently you can buy them. Pricey!

I was expecting around €50 for one, but with no wired versions for lights that can't take smart bulbs, not for I me thinks.

Advertisement