Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up as an electrician

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Stoner wrote: »
    It's not really though. There is no one year add on for lads with level 7 in engineering.

I'm not even sure if there is a 2 year engineering fulltime option for the engineering services level 7 qualification

There is a BSc in energy management in one year fulltime or 2 years part time.

It not a great course imo.

It's a handy road to a level 8 degree but you'd need about four years part time for a level 8 Eng qualification in Kevin street. Lots of lads have this Bsc. It is what it is but it's not an engineering qualification, Kevin street try to sell it as such but it won't change your Engineering Ireland grade.

They have a list of approved engineering courses.

I'd say for the level 8 engineering course in Kevin street you are looking at minimum 2 and very likely 3 years fulltime added to that level 7

Kevin street are selling these courses. There is more to 3rd level then they offer.

IMO Engineers Ireland is where you should look for accurate direction.

If you’re willing to travel and have good grades at level 7 there are colleges in the UK/Scotland where you can get into fourth year of a level 8 BEng Hons accrediated by the IET on behalf of the UK Engineering Council (UK version of Engineers Ireland).
    I did this, it’s different to Ireland as there will be no one spoon feeding you compared to college in Ireland, it’s a totally different learning enviornment
    So if your average or have a poor work ethic it’s a risky enough route.
    I completed a level 7 in DIT and went straight into final year of a four year level 8 in the UK and got a 1st in each and I’m a chartered engineer with the IET now.

In regards to the accreditation looking back now little value is place on accreditation of courses at the hiring stage despite what you are told in college.
    I realized this when on my first day as an engineer I was sitting beside recruits from accrediated and non accrediated recruits from UCD, DIT, TCD, CIT, UCC, GMIT etc and we’re all on the same salary.
    IMO your grades, projects, work experience and how well you can sell yourself is what will get you the position not whether your degree is accrediated.
    indeed the CEng while nice to have won’t get you much extra salary wise in this country.
    If you’re travelling to the Middle East it’s a different story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

micks wrote:
    As I said I am not anti engineering route just that someone should go in with eyes open

Good post Micks

micks wrote:
    As I said I am not anti engineering route just that someone should go in with eyes open

Its important to note Mick that the level 7 qualification that many lads have is really a technician level qualification.

In the past lots of electricians had this and used it in their jobs day in and out.

After two years of study with limited maths, it's a good way off a level 9 qualification that would award someone with a CEng qualification that allows someone to sign off a design.

Again I'm not knocking anyone's qualifications but it's important to be realistic at the same time.

Most of the people defending the position of the level 7 engineer, are generally the ones with that qualification.

That said some are working away in engineering offices now. It's a good time to get into design with a level 7 as engineering graduates are few and far between. I think just 9 came qualified from the services level 7 last year.

Estimation, BIM and quality management are good options for this type of graduate

Lleyn elec wrote:
    In regards to the accreditation looking back now little value is place on accreditation of courses at the hiring stage despite what you are told in college. I realized this when on my first day as an engineer I was sitting beside recruits from accrediated and non accrediated recruits from UCD, DIT, TCD, CIT, UCC, GMIT etc and we’re all on the same salary. IMO your grades, projects, work experience and how well you can sell yourself is what will get you the position not whether your degree is accrediated. indeed the CEng while nice to have won’t get you much extra salary wise in this country. If you’re travelling to the Middle East it’s a different story though.

Good post. Again highlights the differences between what lads are told in Kevin street and the reality.

Another option is to sit the engineering council exams.

Distance education is an option here although the exams are difficult.

You can get your professional qualification and CEng

Again not something they will tell you in Kevin street.

CEng in Ireland in my industry is important. It's often a requirement for applicants, but it might be different for different industries like yours. I know in my area CEng or Level 9 is a requirement for promotion to a certain level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for the informative replies. This is the course I am intending to study.

https://www.dkit.ie/courses/school-of-engineering/electronic-and-mechanical-engineering/beng-(hons.)-in-engineering-(common-entry).html?courseType=20

It's a new course in Dundalk which started in September this year. Ideally I would have liked to gain entry to the third year but as there will be no third year in September 2019 when I intend to start I will be seeking entry to the second year.
    I am going to request some more information on course content before applying and making my final decision.

Does anyone have any opinions or information on this course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Stoner wrote: »
    Its important to note Mick that the level 7 qualification that many lads have is really a technician level qualification.

In the past lots of electricians had this and used it in their jobs day in and out.

After two years of study with limited maths, it's a good way off a level 9 qualification that would award someone with a CEng qualification that allows someone to sign off a design.

Again I'm not knocking anyone's qualifications but it's important to be realistic at the same time.

Most of the people defending the position of the level 7 engineer, are generally the ones with that qualification.

That said some are working away in engineering offices now. It's a good time to get into design with a level 7 as engineering graduates are few and far between. I think just 9 came qualified from the services level 7 last year.

Estimation, BIM and quality management are good options for this type of graduate

ye I agree

I came out of my time in the mid 90's :eek:
    and a trade was the equivalent of a "diploma" (L7 Degree)- 3 yrs full time college
    a "degree" was 4-5 yrs fulltime depending on route taken
    we were offered elect eng degree courses - 2 yrs full time
    Not sure when it happened but certs/diplomas were done away with and we were given level 7 & 8 degrees
    Trades were downgraded to L6
    The country is degree mad - its all that matters in education if you believe what is being told

From my experience there's lots wrong with the systems in place

"accreditation"
    The "Is your course accredited by Eng Ireland"
    Fom what I've seen the only people that care about this are those that possess a degree accredited by EI
    I was part of a conversation about college degree courses in work last month
    One guy asked if another L7 course was accredited by EI
    - "Its a Bsc.?"
    - ye is it accredited by EI
    - No because its not an engineering degree!

Like Lleyn elec I've heard of no one that have been asked in an interview whether a degree is accredited by EI

My son recently finished sec school
    He wasn't told once that an apprenticeship was an option - not once
    basically the only options given were 3rd level

There's lots of educational snobbery in Ireland
    You do an eng degree
    If its in an Institute of Tech - is it an EI accredited deg
    Then there'll be a UCD/UCC that is better
    or a TCD or DCU
    there's always someone that feels there degree is better

Carlow IT do degrees - L7 Bsc's 1 academic yr partime
    I know a few people that have done the energy management one
    and witha distinction in that & letter of recommendation have gone straight to L9/Msc in Trinity (and elsewhere)
    so in 2-3 yrs partime they get a decent masters

which again is back to my point - return on investment
    2-3 yrs partime for a masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I’m in Kevin street at the moment, did two years part time to gain a higher cert in electrical services engineering. I then continued on and am in my final year of another two year part time programme to gain a level 7 degree in electrical services engineering.

If I want a level 8 degree I would need to do another 2 years part time, the only degree they offer is the level 8 in energy management which in my opinion would not be great.

Unfortunately I think DIT are more about making money then churning out quality engineers.

6 years part time to get an average level 8 degree is a joke but to the college is worth about 14/15k per student.

As many have said, I think there are plenty of courses available in the UK but would involve distance learning and or some travel!

Advertisement