Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any proud owners of self builds care to share some pics?

Options
  • 17-09-2018 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hoping that my converted van will function as camper/surfmobile so trying to strike the balance between meeting revenue/insurance companies' standards but also keeping it low spec enough as it'll take a beating with wetsuits, boards etc. For those of you who have successfully reclassified with low spec/thrifty vans, care to share some inspirational pictures? Please and thank you 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LifeIs TooShort2

Howdy,

I just started a conversion of a 2015 T5 myself over in the west. I've sounddeadening and insulation done, dashcam and 2 rear cameras installed. Just specing and starting my electrics at the moment.

What stage are you at?

I'm also concerned with dealing with the ridiculous, mafisio like, charges that are imposed the revenue. Just seems so bloody unfair that those who spend their already taxed savings, doing something for themselves, are then hit again. This country drives me nuts at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WayneH

Howdy,

I just started a conversion of a 2015 T5 myself over in the west. I've sounddeadening and insulation done, dashcam and 2 rear cameras installed. Just specing and starting my electrics at the moment.

What stage are you at?

I'm also concerned with dealing with the ridiculous, mafisio like, charges that are imposed the revenue. Just seems so bloody unfair that those who spend their already taxed savings, doing something for themselves, are then hit again. This country drives me nuts at times.

I am also planning a conversion in the spring, I have pu a deposit on a nearly new demo van, which is going to result in me having a 1 year old 'Motorhome' according to revenue, which they will probably value at about €60k and charge me VRT at that level, despite me buying all the parts which will have VAT with my money, which will have been levied with PRSI, USC etc.. Its so frustrating!!

WayneH wrote: »
    I am also planning a conversion in the spring, I have pu a deposit on a nearly new demo van, which is going to result in me having a 1 year old 'Motorhome' according to revenue, which they will probably value at about €60k and charge me VRT at that level, despite me buying all the parts which will have VAT with my money, which will have been levied with PRSI, USC etc.. Its so frustrating!!

It is pure robbery, talk about triple taxation. I've gone so far as to inform my local FF/FG people not to expect votes. And the hassle I've had for having the cheek to buy a van as an individual is unreal.

On the plus side, I've my electrics done. I've put in a great system. Dual batteries, mains charger, redarc battery to battery charger, victron solar charger, inverter, all delivering data to victron apps. I tested the system for 8 hours, charging multiple devices, running lights and struggled to use 9% of battery power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WayneH

It is pure robbery, talk about triple taxation. I've gone so far as to inform my local FF/FG people not to expect votes. And the hassle I've had for having the cheek to buy a van as an individual is unreal.

On the plus side, I've my electrics done. I've put in a great system. Dual batteries, mains charger, redarc battery to battery charger, victron solar charger, inverter, all delivering data to victron apps. I tested the system for 8 hours, charging multiple devices, running lights and struggled to use 9% of battery power.

Sounds good - I like the way you have tested it on the bench. The one thing to note is that the fridge will most likely be the biggest draw (assuming you put one in). I am thinking of a compressor fridge as the 3 way fridges are not great in hot weather. The one in our caravan struggles when we are away in the south of France.

I would like to hear more about the Victron Apps, can you operate some of your systems through an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you can put in a top loader fridge, when you open the door of a front loader fridge all you cold air falls out and is replaced by somewhat warmer are. You can freeze juice boxes from LIDL to keep it cool and have something to drink as they taw.

• Advertisement

If you can put in a top loader fridge, when you open the door of a front loader fridge all you cold air falls out and is replaced by somewhat warmer are. You can freeze juice boxes from LIDL to keep it cool and have something to drink as they taw.

As I type, a pallet from EVO design with top loading 41l fridge is on the way. Top loading is the only way to go, side opening results on a cold air waterfall every time you open it.

WayneH wrote: »
    Sounds good - I like the way you have tested it on the bench. The one thing to note is that the fridge will most likely be the biggest draw (assuming you put one in). I am thinking of a compressor fridge as the 3 way fridges are not great in hot weather. The one in our caravan struggles when we are away in the south of France.

I would like to hear more about the Victron Apps, can you operate some of your systems through an app?

The victron kit is awesome. If you get the Bluetooth version of whatever, it gives great data, this is the only screen shot I have at had. This was 8 hours later from full... I had basically recharged everything in the house at this point.

This is a screenshot of the battery monitor app

Advertisement