Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way Wines

Options
  • 20-11-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I just got a chance to taste a raspberry wine from Wicklow Way Wines.

It's 10% strength (most regular wines are between 11% and 13%) but their entire range is vegan and low in sulphites. The ingredients are Irish and it's brewed (??) in Newtownmountkennedy.

The raspberry wine is, to put it mildly, stunning. Everyone I got to try it agreed. It's not (this is just my personal opinion, yours may vary) a wine for drinking with meals, it's far too intense in flavour. It's to be sipped, never gulped. Do not expect a regular wine experience but do expect to be taken aback by the incredible flavour. One person who doesn't drink was won over by it and took a glass.

One slight drawback is its price - between €19 and €24 a bottle but you'd have to pay at least that to get a decent tasting regular wine. And again, it's not a wine for throwing back or getting sloshed on. It's got to be taken really steadily, preferably with friends!

We were talking about organising a trip from Clare or Galway for a tasting. Should be fun!

I got a case of 6 given as a gift and it comes extremely well packed, hardly any chance of breakage but I hope the plastic 'sleeve' each bottle comes in can be recycled. I might email them to get their thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I had one of their wines for the first time the other day, it tasted great. it was the one made with blackberries and elderberries. Quite a strong smell off it, really nice.
    If anybody wants to try them around Dublin, they is currently very reasonable priced at the Black Sheep pub on Capel street. Raspberry/Strawberry @ €6 per glass and Blackberry @ €7. Similar to retail pricing without having to get a whole bottle to see which is your favourite. Mine was 11%.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I got a reply from WWW as follows:
    Hi David,
    thanks for getting in touch, and thanks also for the fab review you posted - we're a small business working very hard to bring environmentally friendly, Irish vegan wines to Irish customers so every happy customer is very valuable to us :)

Regarding your question on packaging....yes the plastic sleeves can be recycled, but before you do that perhaps you might have another use for them if you were sending gifts yourself this Christmas?

I've attached a leaflet from our supplier regarding recycling them.

I'm also working on another option, and if it works out I'll mention it in our newsletter. If you'd like to sign up - if you visit our website a pop-up window should give the option.

This is the packaging used in transit of WWW.

The claim of "98% air, only 2% plastic" is disingenuous. I reckon cardboard of some sort, possibly corrugated, might be a better option for transporting bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Hi all

It's 10% strength (most regular wines are between 11% and 13%) but their entire range is vegan and low in sulphites. The ingredients are Irish and it's brewed (??) in Newtownmountkennedy.

- note that in EU legislation, wine means the product obtained exclusively from total or partial alcoholic fermentation of fresh grapes, crushed or otherwise, or of grape must.
    what you are describing is "whatever fruit" wine, and should be referred to as such.

but are you meaning regular fruit wines are between 11% - 13% ?

- i wouldn't buy any white or red wine that's under 13% tbh. but don't know anything about fruit wine, may try this for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Feck the EU. Wine is wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

just saying it can't be called wine if it's not made from grapes, it is fruit wine - https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/food-science/fruit-wines

- actually the name of this company might be seen as deceiving if they're not actually making wines, only fruit wines ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement