Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Action Eagle Battle Hotspur Warlord comics

• 25-06-2018 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

I bought a load of these online and I would love to share my passion about them. I have them all on my google account. I will be buying more soon. I was never rich enough to have a collection and follow stories.

The best stories ever were Charleys War and Johnny Red.
    They were full of information of how a nuclear submarine and telephone exchanges worked, cut aways from military machines.

A much simpler time without the curse of V-Bucks or whatever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I want to give away access to them for FREE!! Did I mention that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Nice one, Charley's War was a classic.

Did you know they are reprinting Charleys War not from the reproduced comic but from the original art work.

@The Crowman , Do you want the comics? All you need is a comic book reader and I will send you a link

Did you know they are reprinting Charleys War not from the reproduced comic but from the original art work.

@The Crowman , Do you want the comics? All you need is a comic book reader and I will send you a link

Haven't one set up, will get to it. Thanks.

http://www.cdisplayex.com/downloads

they cost nothing but take a little getting used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have no 1 edition Battle ( no stickers though, they were on the copy book) , couple of Action as well

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,253 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I missed the glory days but I remember it as Battle Action Force which had military stories such as Johnny Red but also tie ins to the action force toys and later GI joe. I had lots of the toys and still remember the hunt for Baron Ironblood.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I had lots of the toys and still remember the hunt for Baron Ironblood.

Are you registered with Bloodforthebaron.com ?

Are you registered with Bloodforthebaron.com ?

Don't think I'm registered but remember checking it out in the past when on a nostalgia buzz.

I had about half of these including vehicles but didn't have the battle tank or hovercraft:
    009.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Don't think I'm registered but remember checking it out in the past when on a nostalgia buzz.

I had about half of these including vehicles but didn't have the battle tank or hovercraft:
    009.png

I still have a good few of these, getting the tank for Christmas was one of my best presents ever. (Sadly doesn't work anymore) The motorcycle with chain gun side car was brilliant, with a female soldier! Forward thinking for those days :)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I bought a load of these online and I would love to share my passion about them. I have them all on my google account. I will be buying more soon. I was never rich enough to have a collection and follow stories.

They were full of information of how a nuclear submarine and telephone exchanges worked, cut aways from military machines.

I was lucky, with 2 older brothers I'd get loads of these to read, and best of all, the annuals every Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

009.png

My eight year old self has just woken up from a fun-free adult coma:)
    Only had three or four of the figures (big family) but god damn it if we didn’t knock massive amounts of joy out of them. Sisters doll house was used to re-enact Iranian embassy raid (even the scuba dude and the red lad had a role in that)

Used to get a comic with a lad whose arm stump plugged into jets and there were spider baddie men... can’t remember what it was called but they’re in the folks attic somewhere :)

minikin wrote: »
    My eight year old self has just woken up from a fun-free adult coma:)
    Only had three or four of the figures (big family) but god damn it if we didn’t knock massive amounts of joy out of them. Sisters doll house was used to re-enact Iranian embassy raid (even the scuba dude and the red lad had a role in that)

Haha, I commandeered my poor sisters doll house too, hers was a summer place with balconies and a pool, so it was perfect for hostage rescues.

I was lucky, with 2 older brothers I'd get loads of these to read, and best of all, the annuals every Christmas.

+1 on the annuals, there was so much content in them, you don't get that class and quality anymore :(

Haha, I commandeered my poor sisters doll house too, hers was a summer place with balconies and a pool, so it was perfect for hostage rescues.

You sick bastard!!! Innocent Sindy dolls suffered needlessly for your pleasure!!! Probably bloody claret all over the shop.

You are talking about recreating Princes gate and the Iranian Embassy?..... Check out the new film with Jamie Bell 6 Days (2017).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

BATTLE:

1 very detailed story in particular:

Charlie's War:

In World War 1, Charlie Byrne joins the British army underage. Over the course of the comic, he becomes very friendly with a British army horse and is devastated by it's ultimate demise. His brother Wilf is also serving, as a Royal Flying Corps air mechanic. Charlie is under the command of a corrupt captain at some stage, Captain Snell, who uses Charlie as a human sheild when Charlie is unconcious by a shell.
    For a period, Charlie re joins the British Army in WW 2. We see some action with him in Dunkirk. He is killed, drowned in the Dunkirk evacuation.
    A fairly recent republication of Charlie's war in a volume did not cover Charlie's demise in this way, and is somewhat incomplete and I did not buy it for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Anyone remember The Victor comic? My older brothers used to get that back in the '80's.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Anyone remember The Victor comic? My older brothers used to get that back in the '80's.

Dont think I got the comic but maybe an annual one time.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    BATTLE:

1 very detailed story in particular:

Charlie's War:

A fairly recent republication of Charlie's war in a volume did not cover Charlie's demise in this way, and is somewhat incomplete and I did not buy it for this reason.

The Artist was dying of cancer in the final stages of the story 1985 post the Dunkirk and was fighting a losing battle? The man was cranking out 7 pages of artwork a week, not including covers. That explains the gaps of the story in the comics. He must have been a complete workaholic between liaising with research teams, writers and deadlines from publishers. I have seen Charlies War in annuals afterwards and....its just not the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I did a recent attic clean at my mothers. Found all my old star wars, action force and gi joe figures. Tones of vehicles as well. Some complete some not some broken. I sent away to china on ebay for parts to repair alot of my joes and had great fun doing it.

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »

Yep, used to get it from time to time. It was pretty decent but much preferred Battle. Victor had a slightly dated feel to it, like it was stuck in a 50's timewarp whereas Battle was much grittier.

Victor had a slightly dated feel to it, like it was stuck in a 50's timewarp whereas Battle was much grittier.
    Agreed. In Victor, the Germans could be very stupid and very docile and well, just surrender because there was no more space for the comic story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I think I missed the glory days but I remember it as Battle Action Force which had military stories such as Johnny Red but also tie ins to the action force toys and later GI joe. I had lots of the toys and still remember the hunt for Baron Ironblood.

I remember those Action Force toys, but only from a well worn catalouge. i did see some Baron Ironblood storys, think they were from a couple of annuals. Baron Ironbllod building up a huge array of vehicles only for them to get destroyed by the end. :)

Predating that was a story in Battle D-Day Dawson. Every week in this story, Dawson would manage to destroy some advanced weapon the Germans had just developed. Weapons like a big Lazer gun, and magnifying glass, and an evil Nazi scientist chemical laboratory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used to read these as a kid, pretty much read all of them especially Warlord. Victor, Battle, 2000ad and even the relaunch of the Eagle. Annuals the works also read some of the reprinted Charley War volumes. Also those Commando book thingies.

Then again I pretty much read every thing, most of the local library I reckon.

Previous generations had westerns, scfi but the 70s were very much about war stories and movies. For some anyway. Lots of war movies in the 70s.

If you identify with this might be of interest. It veers into trains a bit too much near the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Achtung-Schweinehund-Story-Imaginary-Combat/dp/0349115680

Not sure why you deleted your post.

https://www.google.ie/search?client=ms-android-alcatel&ei=s8DeW52MKoGx0gWA3qLADw&ins=false&q=killer+kane+warlord&oq=killer+kane+wsrlord&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i22i30.16267.21342..24122...0.0..0.147.1453.11j4......0....1.........0j41j46j0i71j33i160j0i13i30.SCa9pdtnvmA

Killer Kane was a pilot. Its was one of my favourite Warlord stories. I think there were a couple of different storylines with him in it. Stories and characters would run for a while then stop. Then start again later with a new story arc.

Ratpack members off the top of my head:

An expert knife thrower: Dancer
    A coward safe opener
    Turk : ex circus strongman
    their leader

At random intervals throughout the series, Turk and Dancer try to kill the leader.

I've never heard of IPC Comics pack or comic reader. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

• Advertisement

https://www.cdisplayex.com/ is a free to download comic book reader.
    IPC comics were publisher. Its a file I made in my drive for comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

if you have a few hours to spare check this out https://britishcomics.wordpress.com/ all the comics are available from the very early days up to the last publications

you can also download them

So cool thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I thought Charleys war was a WW2 one, I recal one stroyline where the guy was a climber or a runner,
    Johhny red I think that was hurricane pilot who got stuck with the Russians?
    I had a mixed collection of old comics and some of the commando books I bought at sales, not very PC but I think kids are missing out now, I liked 2000AD, rogue trooper, strontium dog and (ABC warriors, had to look that one up) but again a hodge podge of incomplete storylines as I did not get comics new or in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

1874 wrote: »
    I thought Charleys war was a WW2 one, I recal one stroyline where the guy was a climber or a runner,
    Johhny red I think that was hurricane pilot who got stuck with the Russians?
    I had a mixed collection of old comics and some of the commando books I bought at sales, not very PC but I think kids are missing out now, I liked 2000AD, rogue trooper, strontium dog and (ABC warriors, had to look that one up) but again a hodge podge of incomplete storylines as I did not get comics new or in order.

The Later Charleys War stories were set in WW2 but the classic ones are world war 1. Johnny Red was probably my favourite. I actually read (well looked at, too young to read ) a lot of the old Battle and 2000ad comics when I was really young as my older brother bought them

The action force/storm force thing was weird. It seemed like it chopped around a fair bit due to the commercial end of things. Poor old Baron Ironblood and his men got the bums rush fairly early on.

My personal favourites were the short lived but high impact Scream! and the UK edition of the Transformers comic which had some great long running arcs

You can pick up collections of Charleys War and other classic Biritsh comics here: https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/catalogue

Advertisement