Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental/hire of instruments (fiddle) - does this exist in Ireland?

• 08-11-2018 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello:
    I visit Ireland often and this time I wanted to bring my fiddle but it may not be worth the hassle. I cannot afford a whole extra seat/ticket for it. It's not a strad and I'm not rich.
    In Canada it is easy to rent any type of musical instrument, usually from a large shop that sells instruments for regular purchase but also has them available for rent and rent-to-purchase.
    I did a search but didn't find much information on this in Ireland.
    Can anyone tell me if this is something that exists there? Maybe nobody does that in Ireland??
    (I will be on east coast mostly so info around Dublin is most useful, but a trip to whatever corner of the country is fine too).

Thank you!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnaKim

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you can buy instruments for the amount it'd cost to rent one.

I know folk on church mission trips who do the opposite and buy a decent, basic guitar and take it, then leave it in the other country.

If it's only for a week or two, or even a month or two, buy something when you get here.

I bought a fiddle to learn on a while back for £25 on eBay. it came with a case and a bow included. definitely not a strad, but certainly playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnaKim

Thanks for that advice. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 don_carlos

Hi AnaKim. I do know that some county libraries will rent out fiddles. At least the Cork Co. Library does.
    Any instrument that you can buy that would be the same price as a rental would be absolutely not worth the money or time.
    Otherwise there is no rental program that I know of in Ireland. We're not as well organised as the N. Americans. Most folks who start fiddle in this country either use Grandpa's auld fiddle or buy a new inexpensive one. This info is coming from myself, a violin shop owner in Cork.

Now, you may be able to ask one of the many talented violin makers around the Dublin area if they have a fiddle lying around that they'd be willing to loan out. No guarantees that would work either though and not worth trying if yer a beginner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭FR85

Hi There,

I work for a rental company and while we do stock them they are more so student models as they are not asked for as often as say electric guitars or basses.

If you would like to pm me I will come back to you with more details!

FR85

Advertisement