Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaiming VAT on new camper van imported from England

Options
  • 25-10-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a new camper van in England and importing it to Ireland. Was told by the dealer that we could reclaim the VAT that we pay on it but haven’t a business. VAT being paid on UK side. Does anybody have any advice or information on this. Know that the VRT will have to be paid in Ireland within 30 days. Thanks and appreciate any guidance and help you might offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A dealer can do a sale for export without charging the UK VAT.
    The local DVLA office will issue the paperwork which includes a special registration number starting with the letters X and a letter from A to F, X = Export and the second letter signifies the month in the six-month cycle the registration period.
    The reason for the second letter (A to F) is to indicate the actual month of registration as the vehicle MUST leave the UK within two months iirc.

The rest of the plate is the usual two numbers and three letters

The vehicle is also issued with a free (no charge) road tax so it can legally be driven on UK roads.

You can arrange your insurance in Ireland by quoting the export reg. number and the chassis number. As part of the VRT process, you will get an Irish reg. no. which you give to your insurance company and they will issue you with fresh documents.

You will, of course, have to pay the Irish VAT as part of the VRT process.

I went through the process a number of years ago when I was buying a new motorhome in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

niloc1951 wrote: »
    A dealer can do a sale for export without charging the UK VAT.
    The local DVLA office will issue the paperwork which includes a special registration number starting with the letters X and a letter from A to F, X = Export and the second letter signifies the month in the six-month cycle the registration period.
    The reason for the second letter (A to F) is to indicate the actual month of registration as the vehicle MUST leave the UK within two months iirc.

The rest of the plate is the usual two numbers and three letters

The vehicle is also issued with a free (no charge) road tax so it can legally be driven on UK roads.

You can arrange your insurance in Ireland by quoting the export reg. number and the chassis number. As part of the VRT process, you will get an Irish reg. no. which you give to your insurance company and they will issue you with fresh documents.

You will, of course, have to pay the Irish VAT as part of the VRT process.

I went through the process a number of years ago when I was buying a new motorhome in the UK.

Hi Niloc 1951, thanks for the reply.

The dealer in England told us we would have to pay the VAT on their side and he has included it in the overall price of the van.

He said it could be reclaimed (VAT) but we are not sure if he meant we would have to claim it. I suppose we could pose this question to him when we talk to him.

You said we have to pay VAT here in Ireland as part of the VRT process - do you know offhand what VAT rate we would pay?

We have so many questions about all this process!! Would you say it is a minefield having gone through the process some years ago when you bought your motorhome?

We have made a lot of phone calls on this side to both Revenue in Shannon and Dublin re this but getting only getting automated replies and no real answers.

Thanks again and grateful if you can help some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

VRT is a given and will need to be paid regardless.
    VAT will also need to be paid in UK.
    Irish VAT registered businesses can purchase VAT free within Europe but needs to be accounted for in their VAT returns.
    If you were an Irish VAT registered business then there is a possibility of zero VAT if the Motorhome is used a business vehicle.

I'd go back to UK dealer and ask for clarification.

Camdec wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a new camper van in England and importing it to Ireland. Was told by the dealer that we could reclaim the VAT that we pay on it but haven’t a business. VAT being paid on UK side. Does anybody have any advice or information on this. Know that the VRT will have to be paid in Ireland within 30 days. Thanks and appreciate any guidance and help you might offer.

stapeler wrote: »
    VRT is a given and will need to be paid regardless.
    VAT will also need to be paid in UK.
    Irish VAT registered businesses can purchase VAT free within Europe but needs to be accounted for in their VAT returns.
    If you were an Irish VAT registered business then there is a possibility of zero VAT if the Motorhome is used a business vehicle.

I'd go back to UK dealer and ask for clarification.

VAT does not need to be paid on a new vehicle bought for export.

READ THIS https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/newly-bought-vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It depends. The law is that VAT is only to be paid once in the EU. The dealer is perfectly entitled to sell for export and charge UK VAT. When you register in Ireland and pay our VAT you can then reclaim the UK VAT, it's a longer process and has money tied up for a long time.

Has revenue stopped putting phone number OMSPs for motor homes? Because that could be a bigger issue for the OP then when they pay the VAT.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It depends. The law is that VAT is only to be paid once in the EU. The dealer is perfectly entitled to sell for export and charge UK VAT. When you register in Ireland and pay our VAT you can then reclaim the UK VAT, it's a longer process and has money tied up for a long time.

Has revenue stopped putting phone number OMSPs for motor homes? Because that could be a bigger issue for the OP then when they pay the VAT.

It doesn't depend. It's clearly set out on the Gov website what the dealer must do and what the purchaser must do, open the link and read the full procedure.
    I did, and purchased my motorhome VAT free, drove it home to Ireland and paid the VAT & VRT here.

"The dealer is perfectly entitled to sell for export and charge UK VAT". No he's not, there exists a proper way to do it so purchasers don't have to stump up twice and then go through a refund process, which ties up money and wastes everybody's time including HM Revenue & Customs

It is simpler if people follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Niloc, You still had to pay VAT.
    There is no way of avoiding VAT unless it's purchased for business purposes and buyer is VAT registered.
    OP gives the impression they're hoping to purchase a motorhome VAT free.
    VAT has to be paid somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

i dont know why people disagree with niloc who says he has done it.. I think, though, of course, i may be wrong that no VAT( as such) will be paid at all, following the route used by Niloc, VRT is a composite tax which includes VAT.

i have long felt that private buyers and importers of used UK cars ,rather than vat registered traders, pay the UK vat and then vrt

Regards

To clarify.

I AM NOT registered for vat, I'm a private individual with no connection to ANY business.
    I bought a new motorhome from a UK dealer for the brand.
    I paid the VAT free price, the dealer did not charge me the UK VAT, the dealer went through the process outlined HERE
    I took the vehicle out of the UK within the prescribed two months
    I presented the vehicle to the VRT people here in Ireland
    I paid two bills,
    One bill was for the Irish VAT
    The other bill was for the VRT
    I got two number plated made with the Irish registration number
    I replaced the temporary UK export plates with the Irish plates
    JOB DONE

Used vehicles are treated differently SEE HERE

I can't say any more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Vehicles less than 6 months old or with less than 6000kms on the clock are liable for VAT on import. If you pay VAT in the UK you'll end up paying VAT twice.

• Advertisement

Hello everyone, sorry but I was indisposed (sick) for the last two weeks and couldn't reply to your comments and advice.
    Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated and even though there are some differing views, I am going to go with Niloc1951s advice.
    He has done his homework and also brought in a new camper from U.K., so it's logical for me to accept his advice and I have looked into the link he provided and overall it looks to be the best advice.
    Again thanks for all your efforts.
    Note: Maybe I could PM you Niloc at a later stage if that's okay and keep the advice comingðŸ‘

Camdec wrote: »
    ......................... Maybe I could PM you Niloc at a later stage if that's okay and keep the advice comingðŸ‘

Anytime :)

Anytime :)

That's great, regards and thanks - CamdecðŸ‘

Advertisement