Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Government cyber security committee idle since 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

pah wrote: »

What is the actual point of this committee I wonder?

:confused:

Probably fair to say that there is little point to it if it hasn't met/isn't currently meeting.

I'm not sure what the actual story is though - is it that the committee hasn't met or something something regarding the operations of the National Cyber Security Centre. The author refers to the National Cyber Security Strategy of 2015, but appears to have failed to have googled said document upon which they may have found that the 2015 strategy has its shelf life to 2017 (apologies if it has been extended somewhere that I didn't see).

It's a pity when our media publish the "story" that they'd actually do some investigative work, coherently present their research, and draw a reasonable conclusion rather than drawing some rough notes from multiple sources and stick them together to be the "story". Disappointing journalism/reporting.

(by the way I appreciate that the media are on a churn/deadline too and said author probably was on a deadline/won't get paid unless they turn some thing in. Its a 440 word filler rather than an in depth long read. Some things are better left to long reads imho.)

I think if there is a story here it may be how ready are we as a country for large scale cyber attack - on our infrastructure, health systems, our government, on our enterprise, on the international tech captains who enjoy comfortable repose within our state. And, it would appear that governance issue is not overtly clear. That's not to say it isn't there in another form, just it isn't immediately discernible. It is also not abundantly clear what plan will spring into action should there be a massive cyber attack on our country or the individual structures within.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

I agree - I'm not sure what the point of the "Committee" is really... However - I've meet/seen the "NCSC" team present at an OWASP Dublin chapter event earlier this year, and they do seem to be a very clued in and dedicated team. Was Very Impressed by them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Anyone following this story (if there is a story to it) may be interested in the article on Computer Weekly

GCHQ offers help to embryonic Irish cyber security organisation

Suppose we should be mindful of Trojan Horses and all that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Showerpuss

An article in the Irish Times in July said the EU had commenced early-stage infringement proceedings against Ireland for not transposing a critical EU cybersecurity directive into national legislation. More straight bananas

Advertisement