Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some advice

Options
  • 25-03-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I am 34 years old and about 3 stone over weight. Up until 18 months ago i was a competition shooter. I had a few mental breakdowns and as a result i had to sell my firearms. im starting to get back on my feet and want to take up a martial art to fill the void left by shooting. I am hoping it will also help with weight loss and my overall mental health. but long story short im looking for advice on where i go and which martial art i choose. There are a couple im interested in like bjj, wrestling, muay thai.

i know there is a massive difference in all 3. the local choices are

https://www.husarianaas.com/

they offer bjj, mma and k1

or

http://shaolinchenwukungf.wixsite.com/shaolin-lotus-ire

they offer san shou kickboxing and kung fu

or

http://sbgnaas.ie/

sbg offer alot of different choices but they wont be open for a few months and i dont particularly want to wait.

My questions are:

is anyone a member of the above clubs what are they like?

what is the difference between k1, muay thai and san shou?

i am hoping to drop into each place for a chat but dont know what questions to ask besides how much:o

what would be the ideal one for someone of my age and weight to take up?

I know alot of these would be a personal choice but i honestly dont know which one to pick. i just need something to channel my energy into.

long post but i will be thankful of any tips or info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I used to train in Husaria, Mariusz is a BJJ & Judo BB and a really nice guy and the team was good but that was about 6 years ago. I know they have moved into a new facility and seems to be doing quite well.

Cill Dara MMA/ BJJ may be close... Not sure where you live? I would also look them up, the lads are really nice and I train with them on and off. Great set up, with some really good guys. Alan is also a high level San Shou competitor.

Best to try a few things and see what suits. BJJ is excellent, especially if you like the technical side of things but it can be immensely frustrating, especially in the beginning... most people quit because of this, they can't see the immediate progress and belts and not just given out for attending. You have to earn your promotions but the flip side is that sparring/ rolling is full contact so it's very real life and intense.... and addictive.

Wouldn't worry about the weight, I was 120kg when I started and now sub 100 and hoping to hit 90kg this year. I was also 34 when I started and I'm turning 41 next month and got my purple belt about a month ago.

Like yourself, I had to fill the void left by football after I smashed my knee (both knees have been rebuilt). This also put me in a bad place as I was playing at a high level and it affected me badly. I tried Judo, MMA and Muay Thai before settling with BJJ. I had previously trained in Kempo and Bushido when I was younger.

I have to say, I'm a different person since I started training. I'm not particularly flexible but I have adapted my game to suit my body. One of the lads I train with is after losing about 30kg since he started. Don't put it off and try and lose weight, you will lose plenty when you start.

If you want to chat, drop me a PM, if I'm able, I can arrange to have a session with you and it may help you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

+1 for BJJ for the mental side of things.

Once you're fighting to defend a choke literally nothing else will enter your mind except how to defend the choke.

The mat is a complete escape from the rest of your day to day struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

TBH theres nothing stopping you from training all forms.I train in a well known gym and I love Muay thai,BJJ and wrestling.Im never bored.They are all quite different.Grappling fitness is different to striking fitness and each have different demands and all together they will push you mentally and physically and bring on your fitness like you wouldn't imagine.
    there are many ages sizes and shapes in my gym.Some people were hesitant to join as they thought they wouldn't have the fitness but shear addiction has meant they attend frequently and they cant help but lose lots of weight.
    Try each one for a month and get a feel of which is for you then get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i took the plunge and did my first bjj class. it was awesome and tough in a way i had never experienced before. going back for my second class Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i took the plunge and did my first bjj class. it was awesome and tough in a way i had never experienced before. going back for my second class Friday!

How is it coming along Tommy? I’m thinking of taking up a martial art (I’m 40) but wasn’t sure which one to pick.

I like the sounds of aikido cause of the breathing excercise that I think would help my anxiety but interested to here peoples thoughts on different styles.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    How is it coming along Tommy? I’m thinking of taking up a martial art (I’m 40) but wasn’t sure which one to pick.

I like the sounds of aikido cause of the breathing excercise that I think would help my anxiety but interested to here peoples thoughts on different styles.

it was going great. i was loving it but unfortunately my anxiety/depression is kicking my ass so i havent been in a week.

its a great sport i would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I use Vitamin D3 to help me keep on keepin on. Training definitely helps too.
    Keep on going dude. Especially when you think you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    it was going great. i was loving it but unfortunately my anxiety/depression is kicking my ass so i havent been in a week.

its a great sport i would highly recommend it

Yeh, those two afflictions can drain me. Do you find it helps with the breathing or spiritual side of things? I know meditation is supposed to help but I got the impression a lot of martial arts sort of have a “centre yourslf” mantra that sort of covers that!

I have been on medication for depression for about 6 years now and I have to say the BJJ has really helped. I can't remember the last time I had a sustained bout, I have down days but they are just days, not weeks and I haven't had a major issue with sleep in years - I used to go through bouts of chronic insomnia, went for nearly 4 months at one stage and probably the lowest I have ever been... lying in bed looking at the back of my eyelids trying to sleep.

There are many days when I don't want to train but I go and I have to say, it does wonders. Nothing makes you focus more than rolling hard and whilst you may not feel like it, once you do it, you feel great after, despite the soreness.

I wouldn't overthink it to the point of anxiety, nobody assumes anything with BJJ and there are no expectations, even now at purple belt, I get a rough ride from some of the white belts. You may feel that you know nothing but so does everyone who starts. There is a great Joe Rogan video on youtube and they talk about the first time rolling and how it feels like drowning.

Some get it quicker than others, some take longer and you may feel there is no progress until you roll with a newbie and you see how far you have come. Being older is a help and a hindrance, you have more experience and a bit calmer but you lack the raw energy and dexterity.

I guess what I am trying to say is to keep it up, it may not be for you (it's not for most people) but give it a good go, you may be surprised and if you really get into it about how much it can change your life. Persevere and give it some time anyhow.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh, those two afflictions can drain me. Do you find it helps with the breathing or spiritual side of things? I know meditation is supposed to help but I got the impression a lot of martial arts sort of have a “centre yourslf” mantra that sort of covers that!

i meditate a few times a week and i find it helps with my overthinkning.
    RoboRat wrote: »
    I have been on medication for depression for about 6 years now and I have to say the BJJ has really helped. I can't remember the last time I had a sustained bout, I have down days but they are just days, not weeks and I haven't had a major issue with sleep in years - I used to go through bouts of chronic insomnia, went for nearly 4 months at one stage and probably the lowest I have ever been... lying in bed looking at the back of my eyelids trying to sleep.

There are many days when I don't want to train but I go and I have to say, it does wonders. Nothing makes you focus more than rolling hard and whilst you may not feel like it, once you do it, you feel great after, despite the soreness.

I wouldn't overthink it to the point of anxiety, nobody assumes anything with BJJ and there are no expectations, even now at purple belt, I get a rough ride from some of the white belts. You may feel that you know nothing but so does everyone who starts. There is a great Joe Rogan video on youtube and they talk about the first time rolling and how it feels like drowning.

Some get it quicker than others, some take longer and you may feel there is no progress until you roll with a newbie and you see how far you have come. Being older is a help and a hindrance, you have more experience and a bit calmer but you lack the raw energy and dexterity.

I guess what I am trying to say is to keep it up, it may not be for you (it's not for most people) but give it a good go, you may be surprised and if you really get into it about how much it can change your life. Persevere and give it some time anyhow.

thank you for taking the time to reply. It is not a case of whether i like it or not. i really like it and enjoyed the classes i did. My main problem is me and my mind.

how long did it take you to get a purple belt? where do you train?

• Advertisement

thank you for taking the time to reply. It is not a case of whether i like it or not. i really like it and enjoyed the classes i did. My main problem is me and my mind.

how long did it take you to get a purple belt? where do you train?

Apologies, I am not trying to trivialise.. as I said, I have been there myself.

I made a solid decision when I started that I was going to stick with it for 6 months and after that, if it wasn't something I was into, I would stop. I found it very reassuring to myself that I had an end date as it gave me some control whilst also some commitment at the same time... yes, this is odd but it worked for me so perhaps it may work for you.

Anxiety is only exacerbated by the unknown and if you have a finite plan, it helps a lot in quelling those feelings and concerns. By the time you have reached the end, the unknown is no longer unknown and you are left with a decision... do I like this or not.

It takes courage to do something new, especially if you are suffering with depression and anxiety but on the depression front, once I made myself go, I found that I had more energy and I found it instilled confidence as I seen progression. Added to that, the pure exhaustion led to great sleep which again had a positive effect on my mental well being.

I'm not going to lie, it was a huge step for me personally but one that I am so happy that I took and persevered with. It took me around 6 years to get my purple... I had the bones of a year off with an ACL tear which again was very difficult and almost harder to return after but again, I did and I am delighted with that choice.

I train with Team Ryano in Portlaoise, great atmosphere and training partners :-)

Also been lowest of low. So much so that i ended up in a coma for a few days after a close call with a massive overdose. Sometimes can feel so alone in the largest crowds. I really find the vitamin d3 helps alongside everything else. Training for me has brought me so much - not just techniques. Taichi helps as well. But remember- you are never alone. Pieta helped save my life a couple of times as well. Great to see so many responding here with experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Hi,

I'm hoping its ok for me to tag onto this thread as, it seems like I would be duplicating this thread if I started my own thread. I am 38, a few stone overweight with no background in martial arts and looking for beginner classes in Lucan to help get the body and mind back in order.

From reading the positive experiences posted I believe starting something new like this will also help me. I think I would be more inclined to try kicking and striking forms such as Muay Thai, Escrima etc. Would anyone have recommendations for these or similar in the Lucan area. Thanks again.

Theres Royashin. They used to be on Lucan but have moved to ballyfermot

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryoshin-Fight-Team-Mma-Ballyfermot/170257316668994

Its reall cool that this thread has inspired others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I suffer from anxiety myself, have done for almost 6 years now. I'm on medication for it which mostly keeps it in control (touch wood). One thing I find that helps is keeping my mind occupied. I can't say jiu-jitsu has helped me only because I've only done a handful of classes spread out over several months. One thing for sure it's, when I'm there I'm not thinking about anything other than "boy this jiu-jitsu is really kicking my ass". I like cycling too and it's hard to beat the feeling of getting out and going for a nice relaxing cycle.

Basically, long story short, exercise is your friend although when you are in a slump it's hard to make yourself do it, even though you have that wee voice telling you it will help. At least that's how it is for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Anxiety is kicking my ass today too so you aren't the only one. Had a bad episode last night and had awful sleep as a result so today is a write off. Just take each day as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Sorry I havent seen this earlier as Ive been off for a while. Not sure if you found a club, but if you're looking for something like Eskrima, we have a club in the Lucan area on Tuesday nights at Lucan East Educate Together and we do Saturday morning classes in Adamstown.... You can email or send a PM if you like more details.. www.guruliam.com

Advertisement