Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running - Patella Tendonitis

Options
  • 19-08-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone out there can help me or share their experience of patella tendonitis with me. I know everyone is different but I've been to a physical therapist and sports therapists plus doing loads of rehab work myself and nothing is working, it keeps coming back.

I am training for my first marathon (Dublin City in October, 2018). I picked running back up again in January but this is the first time I've started doing long distances. Ive done two half marathons and my times for this and shorter races (10k's, 10 milers, 5ks) have really improved.

I first started getting patella tendonitis in March, and I'm in this constant cycle of taking a few weeks off then easing back in and it keeps coming back. I have ran by every rule in the book (i.e. i didn't increase by anymore than 10% a week, I take rest days in between hard runs, I have cross trained with yoga, leg strengthening exercises & pilates.

The pain the last few runs was different. It left me unable to run, not just the numb/stiff feeling in the knees. I was unable to go over 23k before, left it 2 weeks without doing a long run and went out for a 10 miler today (under consent of my PT) and couldnt do anymore than 13k.

If I take anymore time off I am not going to be ready for the marathon. But I feel like I cant continue running really either.

I am running for a charity that is very special to me. And the marathon is really important to me now, I've been utterly consumed by this goal since January.

Can anyone give me any advice? Or perhaps share with me their experience of patella tendonitis?

I'd really appreciate it thanks, Karen.

Advertisement