Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country and Irish Country Music

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Waylon Jennings had an amazing voice, but unfortunately he was his own worst enemy.

RIP.
    His son Shooter Jennings is also very talented.

Great live act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Proper Texas and Appalachian roots/folk country music is awesome. Fascinating stories to it too. The white blues.

The Irish stuff is just bland, background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Noveight wrote: »
    A lot of the Irish country stuff is made for folks to jive to. Jiving has become hugely popular again - well, the Irish version of it anyways.

Arguably predictable and uncreative, it’s music that is “built for purpose”. I enjoy it though, for the most part.

I'm always amazed to see young people in this scene doing the jiving thing. Do they consider that their parents' culture is completely uncool, like every other young person in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'm always amazed to see young people in this scene doing the jiving thing. Do they consider that their parents' culture is completely uncool, like every other young person in the world?

It's hard to know.

Things tend to move in cycles, like you said all young people want to be different to those who went immediately before them.

The Irish version of jiving is easy to master and it's always handy to be able to throw shapes at a wedding or similar, so you can kind of get the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of the Irish country stuff is made for folks to jive to. Jiving has become hugely popular again - well, the Irish version of it anyways.

Arguably predictable and uncreative, it’s music that is “built for purpose”. I enjoy it though, for the most part.

Bland shyte. Next door to kids' TV show music.

• Advertisement

Bland shyte. Next door to kids' TV show music.

Bland is definitely fair, a lot of it is produced using the same old script.

Fine for dancing to or if you need cheap and cheerful background noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Until Nathan Carter can wash down a half dozen quaaludes with a bottle of whiskey before breakfast I can never really take him seriously as a country artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Until Nathan Carter can wash down a half dozen quaaludes with a bottle of whiskey before breakfast I can never really take him seriously as a country artist.

On Nathan Carter - have you had the pleasure of discovering his brother, I nearly fell off my seat when I saw him on TV. Absolute krud !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bland is definitely fair, a lot of it is produced using the same old script.

Fine for dancing to or if you need cheap and cheerful background noise.

No thanks.

No thanks.

No problemo! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Was flicking through the channels of the radio heard a country music song.
    Could not place the accent.
    What part of America is he supposed to be from?
    He has that nasal thing going on and the accent, that they all feel like they have to do.
    The presenter said it was fella called Ray Lynham.

If you never heard of him like me can you tell where he is from?

I looked him up:
    He is from Moate in Westmeath!!!

My main gripe with country music is why do people (who are not even American especially) feel the need to put on a fake nasally Southern American impersonation???
    They are just like cover bands/or glorified impersonators.
    Is it really a prerequisite to put on those fake nasally accents?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Two completely different types of music. I've always loved real country music. That Irish showband shite can fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Was flicking through the channels of the radio heard a country music song.
    Could not place the accent.
    What part of America is he supposed to be from?
    He has that nasal thing going on and the accent, that they all feel like they have to do.
    The presenter said it was fella called Ray Lynham.

If you never heard of him like me can you tell where he is from?

I looked him up:
    He is from Moate in Westmeath!!!

My main gripe with country music is why do people (who are not even American especially) feel the need to put on a fake nasally Southern American impersonation???
    They are just like cover bands/or glorified impersonators.
    Is it really a prerequisite to put on those fake nasally accents?

So when you are swinging some enthusiastic busty beetroot-faced Bridie with road frontage around the floor, you are thinking about the nasal voice of the singer?

People are strange.

My main gripe with country music is why do people (who are not even American especially) feel the need to put on a fake nasally Southern American impersonation?

Throwback to the time when the world was a lot bigger and everything American was assumed to be better, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Throwback to the time when the world was a lot bigger and everything American was assumed to be better, probably.

Do people not think it sounds silly? In fairness to Daniel O`Donnell he sings in his own accent. Bucking the trend!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This sort of cultural appropriation should be consigned to the dustbin of history, shamelessly derivative idiocy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From the Blues Brothers

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?

Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Irish country , with it's many covers badly done, would be on an even lower circle in Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Got to love the trucking subgenre

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Saw a bit of the Country music special last Friday and the main problem with it, is the music often is not even country. It seems most singers featured on the media these days can't ignore those 2 overrated musicals, The Greatest Showman and A Star Is Born. Songs from both will end up getting covered by singers from everywhere. Of course, Westlife used to be doing this all the time with whatever back then the media overhyped. Sure enough on Friday last, Shallow a song from the latter of these 2 modern musicals is performed as the second song featured. It sounded like a typical heat from You're A Star or Voice of Ireland or whatever they call it now. Nothing remotely country about a lot of this modern music. It is a million miles from Big Tom and in a bad way I mean. Big Tom and other older Irish country and folk singers would not go near this modern drivel and rightly so. Boybands and talent shows have polluted our scene and these modern, bland songs from these modern musicals only provide the perfect fodder for this weak set of singers who are all the media want to promote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement