Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much of a commute is too much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Luckily I live a ten minute walk from work.

There was a guy in the Galway forum recently who genuinely was asking if anyone else was community from Galway to Dublin everyday and how did they find it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There was a guy in the Galway forum recently who genuinely was asking if anyone else was community from Galway to Dublin everyday and how did they find it. :eek:

There is someone where my husband works who is commuting from Galway to Dublin daily. I don't think anyone could keep that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why does somebody do this? Or commutes like it? Can job options be that limited? Id work in tesco over commuting that far. Id even rather be homeless. Theres absolutely no quality of life if youre commuting that far daily, the entire week would feel like an endless cycle with no beginning or end, I would 100% have a mental breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My commute is around the same (45 mins) if I drive or cycle. This is due to my car park being so far from the office. I prefer to cycle, and make sure I cycle more days than I drive as I really can't stand being stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Count my blessings that I'm now 25 minutes each way in my car, heating full blast, radio depending on mood. Free parking right outside my door.
    I did factory shift work in my early 20s when I lived in my parents house. 1 hour car journey each way to a city. Killer was I was rostered anytime between 8am or 12am so could be on the road anytime of day or night.
    That's a young person's game.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why does somebody do this? Or commutes like it? Can job options be that limited? Id work in tesco over commuting that far. Id even rather be homeless. Theres absolutely no quality of life if youre commuting that far daily, the entire week would feel like an endless cycle with no beginning or end, I would 100% have a mental breakdown

My situation was that there was no jobs where I live and my husband and I were looking after his Dad so we couldn't just up and leave. My situation is that I never went to college, am not qualified in anything and have just worked my whole life. I have worked as a secretary for 13 years but applied for everything, Penneys, Tesco, cleaning jobs, shops, pubs, literally everything that was advertised and, if it wasn't office work or a secretarial job, I was told I didn't have the right experience. It's not as simple as thinking oh I'll just work in Tesco. I spent 3 months applying for every job I saw until I eventually had to start applying for jobs in Dublin. I was offered numerous interviews and I started working within 2 weeks of applying for the first Dublin job. I was offered 3 of the jobs I interviewed for and picked the one I did because it was the shortest distance from Hueston so it took a bit less time.

People do it because they perceive themselves to have no choice, very few people have no choice its just the other choices are worse. Over the years I have come across people commuting from Longford and from the NI to Dublin, jobs in NI can be poorly paid in comparison to here. We might think someone commuting to Dublin for a low-grade public service job are nuts but if there is no hope of getting a job in Longford they will do the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

troyzer wrote: »
    My mate is an economist who did his Masters thesis on the health effects of a long commute.

I think the result was that 90 minutes total per day is the tipping point, after that you exponentially increase the negative affects on health and productivity.

wonder if age also matters on this equation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I had a reasonably comfortable 40 minute commute to work, until they changed the dart timetables recently. Now it more often takes 55 minutes on much smaller trains and therefore much fuller and more uncomfortable carriages. More stellar work from Irish rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Himself commuted to Dublin over a year, which takes him bit under 2 hours each way, he is on Flexi time though and stayed with his parents for a night to ease it. He now moved to an office a lot closer which will take him 50 minutes door to door once he has his own car. Right now he is car pooling which takes him roughly an hour each way.
    Living in an area with little employment perspectives if you're skilled but we can't afford to move closer to Dublin and honestly I wouldn't want to because I don't like it too much.
    Long term plan is to relocate to Wexford town, where he works now.

I'll be looking for a job within the next 6 months because I'm looking after my kids but feel like I've done my time and would like to do something again. I'd be willing to do everything as long as it's close because I wouldn't gain a cent if I'd have to commute further. Even if I'd get a minimum wage job, between childcare and running a car I wouldn't be working for much disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

I used to have a 3 hour commute in the car in total for three years and then roughly half an hour walking to work and another half hour walk back to the car. Commuted to Dublin and of course work had no parking as was city centre. I was fresh out of college and would rather drive than live in a **** hole or living with randomers. The oul Yaris never let me down! Had to get the experience.

Got a new job then local to me which is an eight minute drive from where I live and for more money and plenty of parking. I nearly have a boner still going in every day to work.
    I would never go back to that commute even if my wages doubled. Houses probably a third or a quarter of the prices that they are in dublin where i live.

Happy with what I'm getting so will never go back to that kip which is dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

You're lucky to have a job at all in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Commute by car between 30 and 60 minutes each way. When I take the motorbike it takes me around 20 to 35 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There's loads of jobs around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Have been living and renting in Dublin with a 10 minute walk to work the last 9 years. But am moving to our first home down the country near friends and family and will face a 3hour return journey commute until we find work closer down there.
    And I can't wait!
    Going from a pokey 1 bed apartment in a dodge area to a 4 bedroom house on an acre of land with a mortgage not much more than our current rent, is so worth it to me.
    We will be able to take the hit salary wise down the line to find work closer but for now, I'll be more than happy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Think it depends on the comfort of the commute as opposed to the time spent sometimes.

I'd rather have an hour on a bus, sitting down comfortably, getting a seat early on in the route, than 30 mins standing on a packed bus being pushed and shoved around with no space or comfort to do anything.

You can do a lot on a commute (if it's comfortable) - read, podcasts, watch Netflix, music, do makeup, meditation, send emails. You can do feck all being cramped onto a Dublin bus or luas hanging onto a railing and struggling to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Luckily my work is a fifteen minute walk away...an.absolute godsend. Means I can get up at 8am each day and never have to rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

piplip87 wrote: »
    I do a 5-6 hour round trip. Can't afford to live in Dublin, personal circumstances also have me still living in Cavan.

Hour and a half each way on the bus plus 40 minutes Luas daily.

Up at 4:45 home at 6. Still better than sitting at home on the dole. Will relocate workwise back to city centre in the new year though.

Marginally.

What planet are you living on? employment is at its highest rate ever.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/employment-at-highest-level-ever-according-to-labour-force-survey-886583.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

There's loads of jobs around

Try live of the wages most are offering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My commute is 20-25mins depends on school traffic in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

At the moment if I need to drive or get a bus it’s too far.

Currently 7 mins to walk from the house door to the door of work.

On an average work week the only driving I do is to my boot camp class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mine is c.30 minutes door to door - includes a small bit of driving to the train. Then the train and then either walk/cycle to work. Some mornings take the kids to school so that adds c.10-15 minutes but don't mind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

From those in Limerick City. There is a guy that work in the Sports Arena at UL. His house is the first one in Milford Grange, just off campus. Jammy bastard.. Lol

I'm about 10 minute cycle from UL for my studies. It contributes to my daily exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

• Short commute: <10 minutes
    • Fine commute: 10 -> 20 minutes
    • OK commute: 20 -> 30 minutes
    • Long commute 30: -> 45 minutes
    • Horrible commute: 45 -> 60 minutes
    • Are you mad???: > 60 minutes

This should be the rules that all planning departments stick to with a target of at least 80% of the population commuting for less than 30 minutes. But Sinn Fein & friends disagree.

Me right now is about 7 minute walk. Did 25 to 30 minute commute for about a decade, and that's the longest I will ever go. Prior to that, the various commutes I did were anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

And yes, I live and work in Dublin city. There are a huge number of companies screaming for employees that I have refused to work for because they made a complete stupid-ass decision to locate themselves in some soulless concrete "commercial park" that 90% of the population of Dublin can't commute to easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dotsman wrote: »
    • Short commute: <10 minutes
    • Fine commute: 10 -> 20 minutes
    • OK commute: 20 -> 30 minutes
    • Long commute 30: -> 45 minutes
    • Horrible commute: 45 -> 60 minutes
    • Are you mad???: > 60 minutes

This should be the rules that all planning departments stick to with a target of at least 80% of the population commuting for less than 30 minutes. But Sinn Fein & friends disagree.

Me right now is about 7 minute walk. Did 25 to 30 minute commute for about a decade, and that's the longest I will ever go. Prior to that, the various commutes I did were anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

And yes, I live and work in Dublin city. There are a huge number of companies screaming for employees that I have refused to work for because they made a complete stupid-ass decision to locate themselves in some soulless concrete "commercial park" that 90% of the population of Dublin can't commute to easily.

The mode of transport is important too. Im a 15 min cycle from my place now, which is absolutely brilliant yes, but a few years ago I used to commute 45 mins by bus, and I much preferred it. It forced me to get up early and Id read on the comfy bus watching the world go by. Way nicer than on my bike with my heavy satchel and the rain and wind whipping my face and being sweaty when I get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The mode of transport is important too. Im a 15 min cycle from my place now, which is absolutely brilliant yes, but a few years ago I used to commute 45 mins by bus, and I much preferred it. It forced me to get up early and Id read on the comfy bus watching the world go by. Way nicer than on my bike with my heavy satchel and the rain and wind whipping my face and being sweaty when I get in

True, that's why I've never cycled. Even if you're lucky to work in an office with decent showers/changing facilities, the amount of time/hassle is not worth it in my opinion. Either a short walk or short public transport for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

25-30 min cycle each way. I live just beyond the M50 and work in Dublin city centre. I'm lucky enough to be on flexible time, so head in/leave early when the roads aren't very busy. Great way to get exercise and commute done in one go. Bus here is infrequent and can be unpredictable, I find it very inefficient.

The mad thing is, about once or twice a week, I'll walk the ~12km in about 1.5hrs, which at rush hour, is actually faster than the bus, due to walking to bus stop, waiting, then sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I cant get to work without cycling (and by cycling I mean a handy 20 minutes ambling without working up a sweat) then I'm not interested in the job.

One fallacy I see with people buying or renting out in the likes of Cavan is that any potential savings are eaten up in petrol and the mental health toll of spending so much time sat in traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Take 20 minutes for your cycle, maybe wear fewer clothes, don't bring anything unnecessary in your satchel, should sort the sweat problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I used to have a 4 hour plus round trip commute. A living hell.

Now I have a 50 minute round trip...I don't take it for granted, it means so much to my health...physical and mental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Current job is 25 mins on the bike, +10 mins then for shower.

Been offered a couple of jobs that are length of the M50 commutes, more money but turned them down.

Changing job next week, 25 mins on the bike but 15 mins for shower and i need to go to the gym across the road :pac:

May drive now and then as its not city centre, commute in the morning is a bit of a pain, but commute home is 20 mins.

anything under 45 mins on the bike im happy with, little interest sitting in traffic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My commute for the last few years is about an hour each way. Almost all motorway though which makes a massive difference. Changed jobs a few months back and even though the time hasn't changed, the commute is much easier as not dealing with the M50 anymore.

I also work from home at least one day a week and that makes a huge difference too.

Perfectly happy to do an hour or a little over in order to live where I want. Have been as close as a 10 minute walk to work for a few years when living in the city, moved to a suburb and the commute was around 30 mins most days (including walking from the car park to office which was 6 or 7 mins) but I always go in after 9 to miss the traffic.

In the process of moving back home to the country where I will be settling for good and any job I’ll have will be in the closest city so will never have less than a 30 minute commute in absolutely ideal situations (if avoiding traffic completely) but other days could be easily an hour+ all depends on what time I will leave, though my aim would be to leave after rush hour as much as possible and come home after evening rush hour. I’m perfectly happy to have this commute though as I said to live where I want, build my own house etc if I was forced to stay living in a different part of the country I would tolerate less of a commute to/from work.

Completely opposite to some posters I could not tolerate any sort of commute unless it was in a car, the idea of being stuck in a train or bus with other people would be a nightmare, I don’t even like having passengers in the car as I’d rather listen to the radio, audiobooks, podcasts in peace. Bikes and walking mean wet and cold so again no thanks, nice comfy warm car every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had a 250km round trip every day for the guts of 6 months. It was only when I stopped I realised how unproductive I was in work. I was arriving in to work in the morning and each morning it probably took a good hour to actually start any form of meaningful productive work. I had an hour for lunch and then I’d schedule all my afternoon meetings for 4 pm so I could leave early and dial in to the meeting, which was probably 4 days out of 5. It felt like I was only after getting out of the car and then I’d be back in it heading the opposite way down the toad.

Often I’d arrive home after an hour and a half in the car and I wouldn’t even realise I’d been behind the wheel. I was so preoccupied with trying to get work done over the phone on the way home i wasn’t paying anywhere near enough attention to the toad that I should have been.

I was putting colossal miles on the car, wasn’t enjoying work and my mental and physical health was suffering badly. I’m 15 mins from work now and the difference it has made to my life is incredible. I’m happier in myself and dont find myself getting as stressed anymore. My work life has improved significantly as well, I’m actually enjoying work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

mariaalice wrote: »

Try looking for a job in your mid 50`s after you`ve been discarded by a multinational and considered surplus to the current climate. Its grand now if you`re in your 20`s and 30`s but possibilities are limited outside that unless you are in the Public Service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Motivator wrote: »
    I had a 250km round trip every day for the guts of 6 months. It was only when I stopped I realised how unproductive I was in work. I was arriving in to work in the morning and each morning it probably took a good hour to actually start any form of meaningful productive work. I had an hour for lunch and then I’d schedule all my afternoon meetings for 4 pm so I could leave early and dial in to the meeting, which was probably 4 days out of 5. It felt like I was only after getting out of the car and then I’d be back in it heading the opposite way down the toad.

Often I’d arrive home after an hour and a half in the car and I wouldn’t even realise I’d been behind the wheel. I was so preoccupied with trying to get work done over the phone on the way home i wasn’t paying anywhere near enough attention to the toad that I should have been.

I was putting colossal miles on the car, wasn’t enjoying work and my mental and physical health was suffering badly. I’m 15 mins from work now and the difference it has made to my life is incredible. I’m happier in myself and dont find myself getting as stressed anymore. My work life has improved significantly as well, I’m actually enjoying work now.

I used to experience this too. It was a bit frightening trying to remember the drive and realising I couldn't remember most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Plus I'm fairly sure the N7 is off limits to bikes so that's us culchies screwed.

N7 is open to bikes. Motorways are not open to bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I"m fairly sure you're aware not everybody is able bodied enough to do that ?

You're right to say that bikes don't work for everyone. It is worth mentioning that eBikes and trikes in particular can work for some people with some disabilities. The battery provides extra power for those who need extra stamina. They also work for people taking on longer commutes by bike that may not be feasible without the battery. The trikes work for people who don't have great balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I suppose what all the above says, is everybody is different.
    I live in Dublin City Centre and commute out (45 min drive e/w), I had to to get experience and to get away from a job I hated. Once I have enough experience, I'll stop doing it and get a job back in town where I can walk or cycle.
    The drive is by far the worst part of my day and being honest, its not even that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I recently turned down a job offering circa 18k more a year because the commute would be about 45-60mins compared to my usual 8-10 minute commute.
    Job offered was 8.30-4.30 so would have to commute in busy times whereas the job I am now is 7.30 -3.30 and flexi. Some friends think I'm mad but I personally think it is the best decision I ever made. I find commuting absolutely horrendous personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

i live in finglas and work beside java republic

handy number so it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For most of my working life, I was always 10min max from work.

Then relocated around 2010/11 and am now 30mins from work. I'm happy enough with that as its more or less a straight road with no congestion.

And due to working shifts, you can be doing it feeling tired, so anything longer would be a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did 13 years of 1hour 20 minute drive each way.
    It’s a wast of time but more so the cost of depreciation etc is huge.

My current job I mostly work from home so I’m on the clock the minute I leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

I think it might be different for different situations driving your self can be very tiring at least on public transport you can watch netflix read a book so your not actually concentrating. Either way I think an hour to and hour to an hour and a half is fine from leaving your door to arriving at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

30 minute morning drive from Dunshaughlin to Ballyfermot, driving more or less non-stop. But it means leaving early (6:20am).
    40 minute drive back home (leave 4:30 home before 5:15).

Doesn't sound bad but that's the best part of 60 hours a week taken up with work. That leaves about 25 awake- hours at home in the evenings, Monday to Friday. Awake but a bit more tired...not as young as I used to be, so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

At the moment I have a drive of 35 minutes door to door on Monday-Thursday which is grand, doesn't bother me a bit, most of the driving is on motorways.

It is compared to 15 minutes before that but that was just blind luck because I live in a rural area. On a Friday however I have to go to a different location and I drive for 48-60 minutes on crappy roads with potholes which can be very bad in rain, frost or god forbid snow, haven't done it in really bad weather yet.

Have to say it's tiring where you really have to concentrate on the driving and you're stressed about hitting a pothole and not having any phone signal to ring for help but it's only one day a week so I can suffer it. Doing it every day though would too much and I'd give it up, have to say. Without a doubt it depends on the roads. I have a good car and I don't want to wreck it on ****ty roads full of potholes.

I did a 45 min car commute for 18 months....it was Imo too long. 25/30 mins now and that's fine.

I wouldn't consider an hour as a reasonable option... 2 hrs/day commuting..... fnck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

seamus wrote: »
    Also, 40 minutes in a car always feels like wasted time. You're sitting on your hole. You can't read, you can't watch movies, you can't do anything productive.

If you're walking or cycling, you're getting exercise. So your commute never feels like wasted time.

You can listen to podcasts though, which can fill in your knowledge of the weeks events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anything over an hour each way would be pretty bad (it's currently 25 minutes drive each way) but it's pointless making grand statements as there's other variables there like if you're find a job that's a really good fit or other circumstances, you'd probably suck it down when you're supporting a family and paying bills.

I once did a 2.5 hour trip each way on public transport and it was so hellish, I learned to drive and bought a car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement