Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Learning Irish/General Queries Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Cad é an difríocht idir tóg agus gabh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

madbeanman wrote: »
    Cad é an difríocht idir tóg agus gabh?

Tóg = To take away / To take up something
    Gabh = To take hold of something / To catch

This is the closest to how I could show the difference between them.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Tóg = To take away / To take up something
    Gabh = To take hold of something / To catch

This is the closest to how I could show the difference between them.

So tóg is like snatching or tacking something away and Gabh is more about taking for possession.
    I guess that makes sense with the idea of Gabh mo leithscéal. I guess you aren't asking them to snatch away or take your apology from you

So tóg is like snatching or tacking something away and Gabh is more about taking for possession.
    I guess that makes sense with the idea of Gabh mo leithscéal. I guess you aren't asking them to snatch away or take your apology from you

Yes

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes

Go raibh míle!

• Advertisement

Cad a usáideann sibh chun an Gaeilge a foghlaim?

Tá TG4 agus RnaG ann an bhfuil paipéar nuachtáin Gaeilge le fail anois?

An bhfuil siopa leabhar I mBaile Atha Cliath le leabhair scíofa i nGaeilge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cad a usáideann sibh chun an Gaeilge a foghlaim?

TG4, RnaG srl..
    Tá TG4 agus RnaG ann an bhfuil paipéar nuachtáin Gaeilge le fail anois?

Google "list of Celtic-language media."
    An bhfuil siopa leabhar I mBaile Atha Cliath le leabhair scíofa i nGaeilge?

An Siopa Leabhar, 6 Sr. Fhearchair, BAC 2, fon 01-4757401.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Does anybody know if there is any fun and competitive online interactive Irish course that is tailored to the LC or JC curriculum, or that could be so tailored?

I'm using Duolingo for myself, but aside from having no relevance to the LC course it lacks the structure and sense of completion/development/improvement that I personally find indispensable to learning. Would anybody have an alternative that is/could be tailored to the JC/LC courses? Grma.

Cad é an difríocht idir báisteach agus fearthainne?

Úsáidtear an dhá focail?
    D'fhoglaim mé báisteach ach chuala mé fearthainne don chéad uair anois agus mise ah úsáid Duolingu

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Úsáidtear an dhá focail?
    D'fhoglaim mé báisteach ach chuala mé fearthainne don chéad uair anois agus mise ah úsáid Duolingu

Ní dóigh liom go bhfuil difríocht ar bith eatarthu. http://www.teanglann.ie/en/eid/Rain Focail chomhchiallacha atá iontu.

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is any fun and competitive online interactive Irish course that is tailored to the LC or JC curriculum, or that could be so tailored?

I'm using Duolingo for myself, but aside from having no relevance to the LC course it lacks the structure and sense of completion/development/improvement that I personally find indispensable to learning. Would anybody have an alternative that is/could be tailored to the JC/LC courses? Grma.
    Ní cheapaim go bhfuil aon chursa mar sin do dhaltaí dara leibhéal le fáil ar líne ach cad a cheapann tú faoi Duolingo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Úsáidtear an dhá focail?

Úsáidtear 'fearthainn' i gcúige Uladh go príomha measaim. Tá sé le fáil sa chanúint Mhaigh Eo chomh maith - http://www.irishlanguageincountymayo.com/about1-clxz

Ceist agam, a chairde

Conas a deirtear 'Die' sa modh ordaitheach ?

Faigh bás! ??

An ndeirtear 'bás ort' nó bás ar rid éigin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ceist agam, a chairde

Conas a deirtear 'Die' sa modh ordaitheach ?

Faigh bás! ??

An ndeirtear 'bás ort' nó bás ar rid éigin ?

Téigh i léig?

In the past few months, some organisation - I surmise Dublin City Council - have put those black and gold steel signs that are across Dublin villages in Ranelagh and Donnybrook. In each place the sign says respectively:
    Fáilte go dtí Raghnallach and Fáilte go dtí Domhnach Broc.

Is go dtí correct here? Should it not be go Raghnallach, etc, just as it is go Baile Átha Cliath but go dtí An Uaimh?

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Téigh i léig?

In the past few months, some organisation - I surmise Dublin City Council - have put those black and gold steel signs that are across Dublin villages in Ranelagh and Donnybrook. In each place the sign says respectively:
    Fáilte go dtí Raghnallach and Fáilte go dtí Domhnach Broc.

Is go dtí correct here? Should it not be go Raghnallach, etc, just as it is go Baile Átha Cliath but go dtí An Uaimh?

I've never heard that before. Thanks.

As regards go dtí and go you are correct. It should be go with most place names, go dtí is only used with the definite article as you alluded to.

An bhfuil aon difríocht idir na focail farraige agus muir?

An bhfuil aon difríocht idir na focail farraige agus muir?

"Mara" is the GENITIVE form of the word "muir." It can't be used on its own in that form...it has to refer to something (for example "sicín na mara": chicken of the sea). The root form is "muir."

Between "muir" and "farraige" there's no difference other than one starts with "m" and has one syllable and the other starts with "f" and has three syllables. They're synonyms.

I'd like to add that "muir" is mostly used in place-names and in some phrases.

The common word for "sea" in everyday speech is "farraige", as far as I know.

Sourced from: http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/topic58145.html

Thanks for that. I was thinking Id never seen muir except in the genitive.
    Good to know that there is no real difference.

Its strange that the film song of the sea contains the song Amhrán na Farraige but the Irish langauge version of the film is called Amhrán na Mara.

Thanks for that. I was thinking Id never seen muir except in the genitive.
    Good to know that there is no real difference.

Its strange that the film song of the sea contains the song Amhrán na Farraige but the Irish langauge version of the film is called Amhrán na Mara.

Muir is obviously related to Latin maris, Italian mare, Spanish mar, French mer.

An bhfuil difríocht ann idir na focail eagla agus faitíos?

Grma

• Advertisement

An bhfuil difríocht ann idir na focail eagla agus faitíos?

Grma

Eagla = fear.
    Faitíos = nervousness, anxiety.

A chairde
    ‪Anois táim ag staidéar an modh ordaitheach agus Ní thuigim conas a úsaidtear an modh ordaitheach sa triú pearsa.‬
    ‪Mar shampla :Ceannaíodh sé an leabhar!‬
    ‪Ní fhéadfaí an abairt céanna a úsáid i mBéarla nach bhféadfaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

A chairde
    ‪Anois táim ag staidéar an modh ordaitheach agus Ní thuigim conas a úsaidtear an modh ordaitheach sa triú pearsa.‬
    ‪Mar shampla :Ceannaíodh sé an leabhar!‬
    ‪Ní fhéadfaí an abairt céanna a úsáid i mBéarla nach bhféadfaí?

Déarfainn go bhféadfá "let him buy the book... [if he wants to waste his money on it]" a rá.

Sa tslí gur féidir "ná feicim d'aghaidh arís anseo" a aistriú mar "don't let me see your face here again" nó "téimis abhaile" mar "let's go home".

Más é bhúr thoil é, Gaeilge ar "Faroe Islands"?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

feargale wrote: »
    Más é bhúr thoil é, Gaeilge ar "Faroe Islands"?

http://m.tearma.ie/Search.aspx?term=Faroe

http://www.potafocal.com/beo/?s=Faroe+islands

Na hOileáin Fharó, de réir na bhfoinsí seo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

tá ceist agam faoi úsáid an focal 'Cas'. Cad a ciallaíonn sé san abairt "Níor chas mé riamh ar Ambasadóir na Rúise"

Ceapaim go bhfuil sé cosúil le "bhuail mé le". An bhfuil sin ceart?

Go raibh maith agat

tá ceist agam faoi úsáid an focal 'Cas'. Cad a ciallaíonn sé san abairt "Níor chas mé riamh ar Ambasadóir na Rúise"

Ceapaim go bhfuil sé cosúil le "bhuail mé le". An bhfuil sin ceart?

Go raibh maith agat
    Tá an ceart agat. :)

An bhfuil son difríocht idir na focail áthas agus lúchair sna habairtí seo?

Chuir an scéal sin áthas orm.
    Chuir an scéal sin lúcháir orm.

An bhfuil son difríocht idir na focail áthas agus lúchair sna habairtí seo?

Chuir an scéal sin áthas orm.
    Chuir an scéal sin lúcháir orm.

https://blogs.transparent.com/irish/happy-happiness-and-happy-dances-in-irish-mostly-based-on-athas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I just saw this question in a sliocht and just want to make sure I have the right meaning 'Cad a bhi o Una sa siopa ealaine?'

Advertisement