Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

web services

• 01-02-2003 2:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

seems awful quiet on this forum.. anyone out there...

anyway. Another idea from my odd brain box. Implement web services on vbulletin. Leaves the way for lots of nice applications that could be written.

Installed a copy of vbulletin 2.0 last night and was messing around with it, and got some very rudimentary web services for listing forums etc running on it using xml-rpc. Obviously 2.0 is out of date of course though.

Looking at one of Devore's older posts he mention that vbb3 has an api for posting.. ? Are there any other api's like this ?

I'd be interested in doing this as a small project, cause xml-rpc looks interesting and it fits in well with another boards.ie idea I had.

So basicly, would yee be interested in having a web services api available for boards.ie ?

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What's the benefit to boards? Making other frontends available? (not saying that providing the service just as a convenience is a bad thing, but have to ask the question ;) )

To be honest, the thought of building anything on top of vbb makes my eyes glaze over, but then others may be more patient than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah, my main motivation was to provide other interfaces. Ideas I had were a small icq like system for PM's maybe. Something very minimal. Or possibly writing a nntp proxy that would allow people to use their newsreaders to post/read the boards.

With xml-rpc libraries for c++ and Java, it seems fairly easy to create small application for doing little things like this. Also it would be useful for developing an avantgo version or something like that.

Having said that, the vbb code from 2.0 is fairly convoluted alright, and desn't really suit being used for this, though by extracting parts of code that we need, and using a specific template it seems fairly doable. Mind you, I don't know what the changes are like from 2.0 to 3.

Gav

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

3 seems to be a very big jump...

Webservices would rock imho but as ecksor says we need to confirm and commit to the base system first. Thats a big question...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Well it's something I can play around with myself, on a copy of 2.6 I found and just try getting some simple proof of concept app working. If it's worthwhile, and yee decide to move to 3.0, we, or I, or you, or whoever can decide what to do.

Gav

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok, sounds fair enough :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement