Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad quality kitchen

Options
  • 18-05-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

Looking for some advice I’m buying a new house and with the house a kitchen is supplied by a sub contractor. Yesterday we were at the house seeing how things are coming along. We noticed the kitchen has been made of some extremely poor materials.

Doors are lopsided , wood is damaged , we feel it may be measured wrong ( will confirm this Monday morning). Where the extractor unit is placed it is completely misaligned from the job. Basically the kitchen is a complete shambles. We are first time buyers and feel we are being taken for a ride.

The house is almost at snagging stage now... anyone have some suggestions how to handle this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like a rush job done on the cheap.

More importantly, it's a rush job done on the cheap that you can see.

What did your surveyor say on the rest of the house, such as things that you wouldn't usually look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like a rush job done on the cheap.

More importantly, it's a rush job done on the cheap that you can see.

What did your surveyor say on the rest of the house, such as things that you wouldn't usually look at.

Our surveyor hasn’t actually even been there yet. We noticed all these issues yesterday and haven’t had a chance to address them yet. In my opinion we should ask to remove the kitchen and ask him to do it again.

We went to a kitchen retailer today and they couldn’t believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

These will all be addressed when you commence the snagging

These will all be addressed when you commence the snagging

Are we entitled to ask for it to be remade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

RVN10 wrote: »
    Are we entitled to ask for it to be remade ?

Have contracts completed and all monies been paid? If not, tell them you will not complete until the kitchen is fitted to required standard.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Have contracts completed and all monies been paid? If not, tell them you will not complete until the kitchen is fitted to required standard.

Nothing has been paid to the builder as of yet. We just don’t know where we stand as we have never done this before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Hi all ,

Looking for some advice I’m buying a new house and with the house a kitchen is supplied by a sub contractor. Yesterday we were at the house seeing how things are coming along. We noticed the kitchen has been made of some extremely poor materials.

Doors are lopsided , wood is damaged , we feel it may be measured wrong ( will confirm this Monday morning). Where the extractor unit is placed it is completely misaligned from the job. Basically the kitchen is a complete shambles. We are first time buyers and feel we are being taken for a ride.

The house is almost at snagging stage now... anyone have some suggestions how to handle this ?
    what do you mean by poor materials
    if the doors are fitted with euro hindges then they will adjusted to make them all align properly,
    what wood is damaged and where is it on the kitchen
    why is it measuered wrong
    take a few pics on monday and we will see whats what

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Nothing has been paid to the builder as of yet. We just don’t know where we stand as we have never done this before

Put it down on your snag list and don't sign anything till you are happy with the quality of the kitchen.

Doing the snag I'd be checking what else they have cut corners on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Same happened to me when I bought a house at the height of the boom. I had paid extra to upgrade the kitchen as the standard kitchen was a cheap nasty blue foil wrap thing. When i went to see it, it was supposed to be beech but was still nasty enough snd cheap. it was just like you said there. Nothing lined up and it was horrible. I dug my heels in and got some of it fixed, but it was never fully right. The attitude was was, if you dont want the house, theres a big queue behind you.

Second home i bought had a quality wood kitchen and granite worktop, so much so that im getting it resprayed after 12 years to freshen it up and expect it should last another 5 to 10 years and still look good.

Just be awkward and refuse to complete till it looks right. You might never be fully happy, if its poor quality materials. I knw exactly what you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

A friend bought a new house out by city west and when he was doing the snag he noticed all the handels were off center in the kitchen cabinets. His snagger didn't even pick up on it. Builders had to put in a new kitchen. Every time he goes into his neighbours he notices all their handels off center. Same idiot did it to all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Kev111

Helooo there. Just going to throw my bit in here been as I am a kitchen manufacturer and fitter for the last 30 years. So yes they will just throw in in cheap and cheerful rubbish in some of these estates because they feel that the buyer don't know the difference. To hell with that. If you want to pm me pics on Monday I will give you my honest opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I provide snag lists for customers & have found that there is a definite lack of pride in their work from most so called 'Tradesmen' - yes, a lot of the time handles are off line in kitchens & wardrobes, shower valves not level shower rails not plumb, gaps at the architrave edges & the walls, architrave edges not painted, nails sticking out in timbers & just painted over - believe it or not yes it does happen - fireplace not level, doors not closing into the lock keep, bad plastering, very bad tiling, grout left on tile trims, grout missing, tiles missing, cracked tiles fitted, underside of window boards NEVER finished correctly ie: gaps at the wall, plaster left on the underside of the board, underside not painted & the list goes on & on & on I was actually thinking of going home half way through a house once as the workmanship was so bad but that would have meant letting my customer down so carried on - it is an awful feeling looking at a house with so much bad work in it. I actually think the finish to houses is worse than in the so called "boom time"

Advertisement