Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should repairs take?

Options
  • 12-05-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Our washing machine broke 2 weeks ago and we've been trying to get it either repaired or replaced by the landlady. The letting agency doesn't reply to emails and phone calls aren't much better.
    I'm just wondering what if anything we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

People will say otherwise but I have always just withheld rent and it gets the attention fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Our washing machine broke 2 weeks ago and we've been trying to get it either repaired or replaced by the landlady. The letting agency doesn't reply to emails and phone calls aren't much better.
    I'm just wondering what if anything we can do?

Two weeks is taking the p1ss but make sure you're on solid ground tenancy wise before going in heavy. Keep a written record of all interaction but I'd ring the agent multiple times a day and just be a pain in the hole from know on. My last LL replaced a washing machine within 3 days of it failing and I'd consider him a very good LL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

It's should be fixed by rent day, otherwise don't pay rent until it's fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭AnRothar

And 14 days later what happens?

AnRothar wrote: »
    And 14 days later what happens?

You will have a new washing machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    People will say otherwise but I have always just withheld rent and it gets the attention fairly quickly.

Two stupid ideas right there.

In the interim I'd be using one of those washing machines you see at the garages and keeping the receipts for the landlord to reimburse me. Two weeks is unacceptable though to be without a washing machine. Have you tried calling into the letting agents office? Have you got an number for the landlady

You will have a new washing machine

The house might have a new washing machine you might find yourself with notice.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The house might have a new washing machine you might find yourself with notice.

Have you ever heard of the prtb not a chance landlord could get you out over his negligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Have you ever heard of the prtb not a chance landlord could get you out over his negligence

Negligence?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Two stupid ideas right there.

In the interim I'd be using one of those washing machines you see at the garages and keeping the receipts for the landlord to reimburse me. Two weeks is unacceptable though to be without a washing machine. Have you tried calling into the letting agents office? Have you got an number for the landlady
    °^^ spoken like a true landlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not paying rent is the reason for getting you out and there is no option to withhold in the RTB. If you are in conflict with your landlord you have to keep paying rent till its resolved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

All complaints should be in writing and sent by recorded post. If no adequate response threaten the RTB. Check if the tenancy is registered.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not paying rent is the reason for getting you out and there is no option to withhold in the RTB. If you are in conflict with your landlord you have to keep paying rent till its resolved.

To the prtb who hold in escrow account until the matter is resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Is the landlady contactable? Could you propose to her that you would contact someone to fix it and take the cost out of the rent. Maybe that might speed things up.
    If the machine is reasonably new there maybe even a parts warranty on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Worst advice ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

OP, there is a prescribed way in which to deal with this, starting with putting it formally in writing (not email etc), giving a reasonable time frame. Not sure of the follow through, it's been a while/

But this will take even more time and you're two weeks in already. Perhaps ring threshold asking would they talk to LL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First off- its called the RTB- it changed its name nearly 4 years ago.

Secondly- they don't operate an escrow account for landlords and tenants- however it has been mooted they hold deposits on behalf of landlords (its also been suggested that this function should be operated by a wholly separate entity- given the manner in which the RTB are viewed).

Thirdly- you are immediately in breach of your obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act if you withhold rent. Regardless of the dispute you have with your landlord- you do not withhold rent, period.

Fourthly- offering antagonistic and illegal advice- is against the forum's charter- as is trolling other posters and suggesting they're landlords etc- just because they offered advice which you dispute or disagree with.

If you disagree with another poster- refute their post factually- without resorting to personalising your posts or insulting they or other posters.

Nameslinging and/or trolling are not acceptable behaviour and will not be tolerated.

I hope I've made myself clear. You're not going to get another warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Letter to the LL giving them 14 days to fix it. If no joy, fix it yourself and open a case with the RTB for reimbursement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The RTB do not hold money is escrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    °^^ spoken like a true landlord

Mod Note

Do not post illegal instructions again or a ban will be issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I once waited 3 months. when later the freezer died I sourced a second hand one locally and sent the landlord there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eoing90

if after 21 days the landlord hasn’t fixed the washing machine you are legally allowed to deduct it from the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭AnRothar

eoing90 wrote: »
    if after 21 days the landlord hasn’t fixed the washing machine you are legally allowed to deduct it from the rent.
    Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

eoing90 wrote: »

Seriously, haven't found anything like that. Just a "recommended" 3 to 5 days off the Threshold website

Seriously, haven't found anything like that. Just a "recommended" 3 to 5 days off the Threshold website

He's serious but he couldn't be more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

If a LL has no maintenance response they are leaving or left the business imo so its may be a sign of worst to come go on J D, media or scream from the highest building.
    as a LL 24 hour response is the only way as some problems left can sometimes do more damage my approach would be the norm.
    Sometimes a tenant might be slow to report or may have a sublet or something they don't want LL to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

Eventually landlady came out today with a repairman to confirm the machine was indeed fecked. So I can now organise a replacement and subtract the cost from next month's rent.
    3 weeks to get to the solution I suggested on day 1.....

Advertisement