Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House v Location

Options
  • 04-01-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

I’m house hunting and am VERY picky (not that I can afford to be!) Anyway, by chance I came across a house 35 mins away from where I am currently living. I really hadn’t considered living in that area (very picturesque & a beautiful house). My lovely sister lives 5 mins away and I would know the area from visiting her. It is a lot more remote than I had planned. House is perfect for picky me and the price is very reasonable. I suppose I’m asking: should I settle for an average house at a so/so price in a good location or a perfect house at a very good price in a more remote (but beautiful scenery) location???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is really down to the individual. What works for you, won't work for someone else. Personally, I wouldn't like to be in a remote location so I wouldn't even dream of buying the place you are talking about. However, plenty of others would love it and jump at the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

location is everything imo

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Location is everything for me. I'd love a bigger house but would have to move further away from work so I'd miss out on time with the kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

they dont say "Location, Location, Location" without reason.

I recently bought a brand new house in Navan. The house is amazing.
    My options were basically buying a so/so house in a bad neighbourhood in Dublin or moving out further for a nicer house.

My parents always complained about how small their house was for years.
    I'd also like to have kids and have them grow them in a fairly nice / safe place.

I'm prepared to give Navan a chance. Its only a 25 min drive to Blanch so hopefully its not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

You can change a house to suit you, but you can't change its location. So I'd go with the good location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was with friends this week in the middle of nowhere. After chatting for a while I realised it was in the middle of everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Andycap8

I was with friends this week in the middle of nowhere. After chatting for a while I realised it was in the middle of everywhere.

Deep. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

no one can answer this question for you at all.

If you have experience of the area then you should be able to answer this yourself.

People are simply working of what brief information you have given. The house could be in a more rural location with extensive forests outside the door as opposed to a 2 up 2 down in 'upcoming' grangegorman.

Swings and roundabouts, never listen to anyone on the internet make the decision for you , your family and your life.

If you can travel to work in anything around about 1 hour you are ok. I mean closing front door to arriving at your desk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

a friend of mine has recently built a massive house in rural Cork. Huge house with every mod con imaginable, but as far as I can see its in the middle of nowhere - she cant walk on the road with a buggy, the nearest shop would be a few miles at least and there is certainly nothing resembling public transport. I left the house wondering if its worth it to have the incredible house at the expense of location - I think in the long run when it isnt but maybe im just jealous :-)

beaz2018 wrote: »
    a friend of mine has recently built a massive house in rural Cork. Huge house with every mod con imaginable, but as far as I can see its in the middle of nowhere - she cant walk on the road with a buggy, the nearest shop would be a few miles at least and there is certainly nothing resembling public transport. I left the house wondering if its worth it to have the incredible house at the expense of location - I think in the long run when it isnt but maybe im just jealous :-)

not being able to walk places with your kids is a nightmare to me personally but not everyone will feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The location is safe & picturesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Everybody is going to have their own criteria for what they consider suitable. There are people who consider not being able to walk to the shops or schools a dealbreaker. Others would go stir crazy if they moved into a semi-detached house in an estate. Where are you from originally? If you were reared in the countryside, you might find it easier to adjust to the location. It can be a culture shock for "townies", especially when they have to start driving everywhere.

beaz2018 wrote: »

I will be doing similar, building a very nice and big house in a fairly rural area. It’s where I grew up so used to not being able to walk to shops etc (even when I’ve lived near shops I still drove) and to me having an ideal house is far preferable to an ideal location, I just couldn’t live long term in a small house in an estate. That being said it will be build off the main road so the road it’s on can easily be walked on with a buggy etc and it’s less than 10 mins drive to the local town, only 20 min drive to a city without traffic or less than an hour even commuting at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like a good house.
    It’s 35 minutes away from current location , why are you in your current location ? How close to work and school is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When people talk about house versus location, they're really debating whether you should buy a less attractive property in a better location, or a better property in a worse location - the apartment in Foxrock versus the mansion in jobstown :)

It sounds to me like you like the location as well as the property. If it fits in with your commute and your future needs, what's wrong with it?

Everybody is going to have their own criteria for what they consider suitable. There are people who consider not being able to walk to the shops or schools a dealbreaker. Others would go stir crazy if they moved into a semi-detached house in an estate. Where are you from originally? If you were reared in the countryside, you might find it easier to adjust to the location. It can be a culture shock for "townies", especially when they have to start driving everywhere.

I’m the quintessential country girl. I’d be going from a 20 min work commute to a 40 min work commute. Road to/from work not good. Can imagine weekends/holidays filled with lovely walks. However, I love my coffee shops-that’d suffer!

I will be doing similar, building a very nice and big house in a fairly rural area. It’s where I grew up so used to not being able to walk to shops etc (even when I’ve lived near shops I still drove) and to me having an ideal house is far preferable to an ideal location, I just couldn’t live long term in a small house in an estate. That being said it will be build off the main road so the road it’s on can easily be walked on with a buggy etc and it’s less than 10 mins drive to the local town, only 20 min drive to a city without traffic or less than an hour even commuting at busy times.

If there’s no footpath main road or not it’s not somewhere you will want to walk with a buggy or walk kids along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m the quintessential country girl. I’d be going from a 20 min work commute to a 40 min work commute. Road to/from work not good. Can imagine weekends/holidays filled with lovely walks. However, I love my coffee shops-that’d suffer!

The state of the road is important.

I took a job recently where I've to go to a different location every Friday and going by Google maps it was only an extra 10 minutes drive so I didn't think it'd be a big deal.

The state of the road however is a HUGE factor, it's a horrible horrible drive in winter, road full of potholes and pitch black. Turns into an hour drive in bad weather.

And that's without snow and ice. I imagine in times of snow and ice it's going to be undrivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Cyrus wrote: »
    If there’s no footpath main road or not it’s not somewhere you will want to walk with a buggy or walk kids along
    People where we live including us manage it with no problem. I preferred to go for a walk in local woods with a buggy but some prefer the road. (The location where we live would be very similar to the one described above.) We drive to the shops and work (10 minutes), the only adjustment we had to make is waiting longer for a taxi when going out. The location where we live suits us perfectly, local woods enable fairly active lifestyle, local school is good and kids have big garden to play in. The same location would be a nightmare for someone who doesn't drive, goes out a lot or eats a lot of take aways. Also how much maintenance do you want to do? Large picturesque garden is not great if you hate gardening. Big detached house can be expensive to heat or maintain if you live in there alone.

Most of the houses can be made lovely but you have a lot less influence on the surrounding area. It could be terrible neighbours in the estate or lack of local amenities. Also I think good insulation and build quality is way important to how the house is decorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

location. and remote/very quiet. too many people in housing estates or even areas with just a few houses where one neighbour is antisocial. the amount of misery someone like this can bring is only truly understood by someone experiencing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

What do you want from the location?

Monetary return:
    If you're planning to sell the house on in the short term and you want the maximum value that can be obtained for the property, then you probably want a property in a highly sought after location, even if the property is not everything you want. A wreck in D6 will be worth more than a fully finished house in the sticks.

Life Quality:
    If your planning to stay long term, its of real value to your life to have your sister and family close by, you genuinely love the location, it suits your life and can afford it then its perfect. Who cares if it doesn't appreciate by double digits?

If you can get both then jackpot, if not then decide what works for your particular situation.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

Monetary return:
    If you're planning to sell the house on in the short term and you want the maximum value that can be obtained for the property, then you probably want a property in a highly sought after location, even if the property is not everything you want. A wreck in D6 will be worth more than a fully finished house in the sticks.

Life Quality:
    If your planning to stay long term, its of real value to your life to have your sister and family close by, you genuinely love the location, it suits your life and can afford it then its perfect. Who cares if it doesn't appreciate by double digits?

If you can get both then jackpot, if not then decide what works for your particular situation.
    Monetary return is not a huge factor here as the house is most definitely underpriced-to build the same house near my current location (including site) would be an extra 100k (conservative estimate).

Monetary return is not a huge factor here as the house is most definitely underpriced-to build the same house near my current location (including site) would be an extra 100k (conservative estimate).

Sounds like you have found a bargain, worth more than its asking, in a location you like.

Nobody here can tell you to buy or not, but if it suits your situation, it sounds like a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Another thing to bear in mind is when you're older. I've often thought about buying in a rural location but now I'm getting that bit older I can see how being within walking distance of a village at least with a bus stop will be an advantage when I get to the age where I can no longer drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Monetary return:

That's none sense if you're a new buyer. You buy expensive and sell expensive :pac:. Actually, in term of monetary returns, you're currently better off buying in Navan than in D6 as prices are stagnant in D6 and still have margin to increase in Navan.

Ning wrote: »
    That's none sense if you're a new buyer. You buy expensive and sell expensive :pac:. Actually, in term of monetary returns, you're currently better off buying in Navan than in D6 as prices are stagnant in D6 and still have margin to increase in Navan.

I said "A wreck in D6".

Eitherway, a house in a bankable area will always be more, well, Bankable.
    By your logic any cheaper area is a better bet, but i dont see people rushing to live in <insert any not so great area with lower than usual prices here>

Your logic holds up only after careful consideration of the particular area.

But as mentioned, the OP needs to decide what they want, and its not clear from their posts. as i mentioned, its not all about monetary gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

I said "A wreck in D6".

Eitherway, a house in a bankable area will always be more, well, Bankable.
    By your logic any cheaper area is a better bet, but i dont see people rushing to live in <insert any not so great area with lower than usual prices here>

Your logic holds up only after careful consideration of the particular area.

I would not overthink this. You're only losing out if you buy in an area that becomes worse, mainly due to social issues, eg: buy full price in Tyrrelstown in 2004 before it got a bad reputation, or in one of the boom estate that turned out be potentially affected by pyrite. That's why there is a premium in established mature areas vs new estates. You're taking more risk in new estate, but with potentially a better return later. The price of the wreck in D6 will already have factored in the potential added value from renovation in the current market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I’m house hunting and am VERY picky (not that I can afford to be!) Anyway, by chance I came across a house 35 mins away from where I am currently living. I really hadn’t considered living in that area (very picturesque & a beautiful house). My lovely sister lives 5 mins away and I would know the area from visiting her. It is a lot more remote than I had planned. House is perfect for picky me and the price is very reasonable. I suppose I’m asking: should I settle for an average house at a so/so price in a good location or a perfect house at a very good price in a more remote (but beautiful scenery) location???

Why are the owners selling?
    If house is such good value it will be snapped up pretty quickly by local person. 35 mins drive is not too bad a drive but when kids come along, you will be hauling them in and out of town to all their activities and it gets worse as they get older. However, other people successfully manage it including your sister so good luck if you decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Advertisement