Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Kilkenny to Waterford hospital?

Options
  • 06-12-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks, can only find v old threads on this, which don’t take into account the motorway. Hoping someone can help with up to date info!

Am planning on moving back to Kilkenny in autumn 2018, with husband and 2 kids in tow. Other half going to be Dublin based initially but I work in healthcare and have the potential for work in Waterford hospital. Will in effect be single parent to 2 under 4, mon-fri, until we get something more local sorted.

Can anyone tell me the usual commuting time from Loughbouy in Kilkenny for a 9am start in Waterford (regional) hospital and leaving to come back at 5pm?

Childcare/Creche in Kilkenny is strictly 8-6 so have to be sure I can manage commute comfortably within those times....this could be a deal-breaker for the whole move 😧

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Miakk wrote: »
    Hi folks, can only find v old threads on this, which don’t take into account the motorway. Hoping someone can help with up to date info!

Am planning on moving back to Kilkenny in autumn 2018, with husband and 2 kids in tow. Other half going to be Dublin based initially but I work in healthcare and have the potential for work in Waterford hospital. Will in effect be single parent to 2 under 4, mon-fri, until we get something more local sorted.

Can anyone tell me the usual commuting time from Loughbouy in Kilkenny for a 9am start in Waterford (regional) hospital and leaving to come back at 5pm?

Childcare/Creche in Kilkenny is strictly 8-6 so have to be sure I can manage commute comfortably within those times....this could be a deal-breaker for the whole move ��

Prob around max 30 minutes to Waterford (Quays) on M9 however, if you go through the city to the hospital it could add 20-30 minutes at peak times (Quay is a nightmare in evenings anyway, not sure about morning). Using the N25 bypass (toll road) followed by ring road straight to the hospital then probably 45-50 minutes at most. Outside peak times it's probally the same via city or bypass.

Might be good to post this in Waterford City as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Miakk wrote: »

Childcare/Creche in Kilkenny is strictly 8-6 so have to be sure I can manage commute comfortably within those times....this could be a deal-breaker for the whole move ��

Hi OP, I asked someone who does this commute daily and the answer was 45 to 60 minutes, which isn't very different to what the poster above says.

IMO unless you have a fall-back position re creche collection or an option of finishing earlier it's going to be far too stressful. It may work most days but any traffic issue is going to wreck your head. Even getting there for a 9 am after an 8 am drop off is going to be stressful when you take into account getting parked, into the building, possibly getting changed and into your ward/office. Since your OH wont be around to share the childcare you'd need friends or family to be able to be available for wehn you're delayed.

The motorway sounds great in as opposed to the old road but as you know, it doesn't start in KK itself and doesn't go all the way to the hospital so while the bit in the middle is grand it's not a panacea.

Advertisement