Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Very Late Boarding

Options
  • 04-12-2017 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭

I was on a Ryanair flight yesterday from Dublin. We were closed up, steps moved away and the safety briefing had started - this was a good 15 minutes after the flight closed, I was one of the last to board and saw it close.

So the safety briefing is stopped to announce that we were boarding two extra passengers. I must have taken 400 flights in the last ten years and I've never seen this before, ever.

We thought it was someone famous or something but no. Just two passengers like us all.

We missed our take off slot and landed 20 mins late.

Now I'm going to contact Ryanair but I've never ever seen that before. Anyone seen this happen ?? I've seen People, hell I've known people who were 5 mins late after closing and were denied boarding but delaying a planeful of people for 2 ??? Never.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Possibly their bags were already onboard and the search to remove them would have taken longer than to allow them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

What’s the point of contacting Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Gal2glam wrote: »
    What’s the point of contacting Ryanair?

To make a complaint.

And if they were early enough to the airport to have checked bags th3n they have no excuse for being so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

To make a complaint.

Possible illness, emergency etc?

You'll spend more than a precious 20 mins posting here or complaining to Ryanair, for all the good its gonna do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

To make a complaint.

And if they were early enough to the airport to have checked bags th3n they have no excuse for being so late.

In fairness, you have no idea why they were allowed to board, it doesn't happen often so maybe there was a reason (other than baggage)

Rest assured your complaint to Ryanair will be pointless but I'm guessing you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

To make a complaint.

What are you actually complaining about? That you landed 20 minutes late?

So what? Those passengers might have been rushing home for a family emergency. Some day you might appreciate someone cutting you some slack in making a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There's many reasons they may have been delayed.
    I've been held up in security for 20 minutes before on a few occasions. Luckily I had time but i take enough flights that i usually only arrive 45 mins before the gate closes (or opens in Ryanairs case)

Once you've scanned in there's too much hassle to stop you boarding. They may also have been a relation or friend to staff. I was on a plane sitting across from the captains wife once. They moved people from the adjacent 2 seats and gave her whatever she wanted for the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I used to fly a lot for business. One time I was taken ill in the airport (nothing serious; probably a bad meal while on layover) and the last flight was a small hop of under an hour. I was literally seated in the plane when I needed to use the toilet quite urgently and asked the attendant to let me use it before takeoff. Unfortunately the toilets were out of order on that flight (any number of reasons this could happen including missed maintenance) and they had to let me go back into the airport. I'm afraid I cost the flight about 20 minutes and wasn't comfortable in the air, but I was all right once I got to the destination. I've since been told the flight should have been rescheduled anyway according to standard policy because of the toilet issue, but eh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are wasting your time complaining. Don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect they were Ryanair pilots or engineers who were needed at the destination airport for crew relief or urgent maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Possibly their bags were already onboard and the search to remove them would have taken longer than to allow them on.
    If there were 'no shows' with checked in luggage, the airline wouldn't have removed the steps or commenced the safety briefing until their baggage was removed.

If there were 'no shows' with checked in luggage, the airline wouldn't have removed the steps or commenced the safety briefing until their baggage was removed.

+1 they wouldn't even have closed the doors, let alone pulled away the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I've seen it happen but not with Ryanair. I've also been on planes where takeoff was delayed because they knew passengers were navigating through security (as you scan boarding pass before entering security I assume they have some visibility on this, either that or they were just being accommodating due to stupidly long security queues at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It could just be that some employee at boarding made a mistake and thought all passengers had boarded.

jive wrote: »
    I've seen it happen but not with Ryanair. I've also been on planes where takeoff was delayed because they knew passengers were navigating through security (as you scan boarding pass before entering security I assume they have some visibility on this, either that or they were just being accommodating due to stupidly long security queues at the time).

If there are major delays at security, there will probably be several passengers delayed and the people at the gate will be aware of this but just because you entered the security area and your boarding pass was scanned does not mean they will wait for you, especially if you are the only person missing and everyone else boarded on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was on a flight from a manic Rome airport a few years back, it was pure bedlam. They copped that a bag was on board but not its owner. A search was started of both the terminal for the passenger, and the hold for the bag. Whichever was found first would dictate what happened. Luckily for the passenger, they made it to the plane before their bag was found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

To be fair I wouldn't bother complaining if my flight was 20 mins late especially if it was a 2+ hour flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coylemj wrote: »
    ... but just because you entered the security area and your boarding pass was scanned does not mean they will wait for you, especially if you are the only person missing and everyone else boarded on time.
    Indeed, it happened to myself and a travelling pilot (in full uniform) during the summer and the flight went without us. He was going banannas about it but at least I knew that if they weren't waiting for him, they certainly wouldn't be waiting for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Stephen15 wrote: »
    To be fair I wouldn't bother complaining if my flight was 20 mins late especially if it was a 2+ hour flight.

It was 40 minutes, but Ryanair publish flight time as an hour to CTA.

Lands 20 mins AFTER that.

Advertisement