Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question re OAP travel

• 26-11-2017 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Father wants to travel on the 19.00 train tonight Connolly to Belfast.

He is an OAP with a valid travel pass.

Can he just rock up to Connolly this evening and board the train or does he need to pre book a ticket?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As long as he gets a ticket at the ticket booth first he should have no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gatling wrote: »
    As long as he gets a ticket at the ticket booth first he should have no problem

Cheers Gatling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

With an FT pass you only need to get a ticket if you are outside the Dublin Short Hop Zone, it's a grey ticket

Always get a return.

You can book seat choosing "seat only" option on the website too for a €5 fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    With an FT pass you only need to get a ticket if you are outside the Dublin Short Hop Zone, it's a grey ticket

Always get a return.

Derry is definitely outside of the short hop zone and a lot of the time they don't give return ticket speaking from experience ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think they only give day returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Got sorted!! Went to Connolly and had to fill out a small firm at the desk and had a printed ticket in 2 mins. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I did this journey recently, no ticket, just touch on at the barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

aujopimur wrote: »
    I did this journey recently, no ticket, just touch on at the barrier.

You need to fill out the cross border form and get your ticket first if the booking office is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Gatling wrote: »
    Derry is definitely outside of the short hop zone and a lot of the time they don't give return ticket speaking from experience ,

Ask for one, they always gave me an openreturn if I was going even as far as Belfast Central
    What they won't give you (for reasons unknown to me) are weekly or monthly tickets. I had to go up north regularly for medication and I asked for a monthly they said they can't, I was trying to save myself filling out the FT100 form every time it asks for excessive detail.

You need a ticket anywhere outside the SHZ
    Even if you are going to Wicklow or Dundalk you still need a ticket. The smart card will open the barriers at regional stations but they don't constitute a valid ticket on their own - technically they can still fine you, but it would never hold up in court because you've no intent to defraud. It's important to do it though so usage of the scheme gets monitored and the subsidy keeps some relationship with demand (and NI/ROI pay each other) to prevent ordinary passengers subsidizing FT as happened during the recession, which is not fair....hehe FARE get....ehem anyway...

Usually there is a guy at the glass door for the Belfast train checking tickets and the train manager from IE or Translink will check it as well so you really need the ticket. Always get a return because the NI stations often don't have the proper form to fill out if you produce an ROI FT card and ask for a single.

Advertisement