Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

13 Months to resurface 0.5KM of road!

Options
  • 15-06-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Yesterday morning on the way into work I noticed the dreaded big flashing sign on the way into work. It was on a bend which was very helpful as it meant anyone coming blind into the bend (I'd say about 70% of traffic) couldn't actually read it fully without stopping.

So I googled it instead and low and behold there will be roadworks to resurface 500m of Blackhorse Avenue commencing June 15, 2016 and running to July 2017. I thought this was a mistake so went into DCCs website and looked at the drawing and yes it will take 13 months (approx.!) to resurface 500m of road (lay new car crushing ramps, give everyone nice walls etc).

This is probably one of the busiest stretches of road in the north west of the city (its either it, the park or the N3 if you want to get city to Blanch and beyond) so why the hell is a contractor being given 13 months to meander through 500m of roadworks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Actually I think you're being a bit harsh. Read the whole schedule of works and they're doing quite a bit..

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-roads-and-traffic-projects/blackhorse-avenue-%E2%80%93-section-2-road

A lot of Wall Building etc.
    1. The widening, realignment, and reconstruction of the existing road from a point approx. 50m southeast of the Cabra Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park to a point approx. 30m southeast of it junction with Springfield Road.
    2. The construction of new footpaths on both sides of the road from approx. 50m southeast of the Cabra Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park to approx. 30m southeast of its junction with Springfield Road.
    3. The construction of a 2.5m (maximum) wide section of footpath from just southeast of the Cabra Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park to link up with the existing footpath outside the Park Crescent House Apartments.
    4. The removal of an existing old 4” & 6” Asbestos Cement (AC) watermain located in both the footpath & carriageway as shown on the construction drawings.
    5. The provision & installation of a new MDPE watermain and the provision & installation of a new surface water pipeline.
    6. In order to facilitate the construction of both the new road and footpath and the construction of a new boundary wall and railing to the adjoining property, it will be necessary to fell the existing trees along this stretch of road.
    7. The construction of a new boundary wall and railing to the property between the Cabra Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park and the Park Crescent House Apartments with an access gate for the Parks Division of Dublin City Council.
    8. It is intended to plant the existing plot of land to the rear of this new boundary wall and railing with native trees to compensate for the loss of trees/hedgerow along the road front.
    9. The construction of a new boundary wall and railing to the existing land site just east of the Park Crescent House Apartments and directly opposite Skreen Road.
    10. The works will necessitate a land-take of approx. 3.5m strip from this land site, the possible relocation of the existing entrance to this site in order to facilitate the realignment & construction of the new road, footpaths and a new boundary wall at this location.
    11. The provision and construction of traffic calming ramps at various locations.
    12. The construction of a limestone façade to the proposed new boundary walls in keeping with the existing Phoenix Park boundary wall.
    13. The employment of an Archaeologist to monitor the excavation and construction works along the whole length of the site and particularly the areas adjacent to the Poor Man’s Well & the Phoenix Park Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

....but 13 months? For what is still only a 0.5km stretch.

There seems to be no urgency in the timelines for this - I get the feeling if it was a back road in Clonsilla it would take no longer and yet it is one of the main arteries from the city to the north west

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

perhaps the work will take that much longer precisely because it's such a busy road. if they were able to close the road entirely, you can be guaranteed the work would take a fraction of the time.

Not sure why they don't - it runs between the Park and the Navan Road so why not just do exactly that, get it done in the summer when quieter and re-open before the winter traffic hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

It's a Very poor road for that purpose to be honest, I've been in and out to McKee area for years, and into the Zoo and into the Park etc etc.

Speedbumps are too high and far apart. the whole surface is poor, footpaths are dangerous (hence adding a new one on the south side of the road).

It is a residential area and probably shouldn't have an R designation.

Besides, Wasn't another section done only a few years ago?

• Advertisement

Yep - the section North of the same gate to Baggot Road - it took forever too - and it appears to be down for another update of the same stretch in Stage 3!

You are correct in that the entire road should be done (and a roundabout added at the Castleknock Road end)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

A further breakdown of the above details should be provided to the public; the details appear to be intentionally unclear. The boundary wall (which should be workable in parallel with any roadworks) piece is mentioned in points 6-13! 
    There doesn't appear to be any logic to the amount of time this is taking given the meterage of road being constructed. I commuted by the works in Newlands Cross a couple of years ago and the difference in speed and amount of work being done appeared (to me - an engineer) to be substantial. North DCC vendor procurement is in dire need of some sort of overhaul. 

The state of the roads in this general area are in dire need of (simple one-day) resurfacing. You never would cycle across surfaces as bad as the Nephin Road, the Navan Road, roads in Cabra etc. when on the South Side or the Countryside. 

Personally I'd like a further breakdown of the above that includes man days work it is supposed to take different elements; the details appear to me are unclear. The boundary wall piece is mentioned in points 6-13 (excluding 9) [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]without mentioning if any of those elements can be worked in parallel[/font]!
    The state of the roads in this general area are in dire need of (simple one-day) resurfacing. From my travels I'd find it difficult to find surfaces as bad as as the Nephin Road, the Navan Road, roads in Cabra... for cycling when comparing to anywhere I've been in the South Side or the Countryside.
    They would be quick wins and a low cost when compared to this work that was taken on. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes.. Blackhorse work seems to have been only one man for 13 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's a very short section between Nephin Road and the Blackhorse Ave gate for the Park that they "resurfaced" and it's possibly worse than before they started. I can only presume they're coming back to it later, because it's a good 5cm below the rest of the road surface.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's a very short section between Nephin Road and the Blackhorse Ave gate for the Park that they "resurfaced" and it's possibly worse than before they started. I can only presume they're coming back to it later, because it's a good 5cm below the rest of the road surface.

They did that before, I reckon they're coming back to that alright.

Am just trying to fathom if this was done efficiently as it should have been.
    It possibly was but it's hard to equate.

I believe there were delays due to a badger hole found in the area - can DCC post those types of updates on the website - or they may not have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was meant to take 13 months and finish last July.

It will certainly take at least 18 months and I reckon it could be March before it is finished.

Advertisement