Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a house that has a tenant

Options
  • 01-02-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I made an offer for the house I like in agency and I do think they would like to go ahead with it however I haven't seen the house yet (only photos advertised online). There is tennant and she got her notice to move out while ago. I have also found out (through person that knows her) that she has no plans to move out and in fact is waiting for social house.

Not sure about tennant rights, can she stay in the property for as long as she wants to? Last time she was supposed to move out they extrended it for her so I am waiting for a while now to even view the house.

Any advice on that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sellers market still to a degree, most estate agents are absolute asshats. You'll be lucky to get a call returned.

Tenant could be in there for ages and vacant possession is likely to be a condition of your mortgage. Probably best to keep looking, try dealing with other agents if you can.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Good market or bad market alot of Estate agents have no professionalism what so ever, but if a property is listed with an agent unfortunately you will have to deal with them if you are interested

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In practice it can take a landlord over a year to exhaust all a tenant's attempts to stay in a property- even if the tenant stops paying their rent. If you need a mortgage to buy a property- one of the terms of the mortgage is that you need vacant possession of the property. Its not going to happen in this case. Move on- its a waste of your time even looking at the property- the tenant is going to make selling the property a time consuming and infuriating process.

Advertisement