Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

familysearch.org - moving from index to actual document

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, can I ask for some quick one liner pointers on how to move from index entries from LDS/familysearch.org to actual copies (or microfilms) of the documents ? I'm still just a little vague . . .

To make things relatively easy, I have a relative called "Dennis Canning Flanagan", and the first 4 entries from LDS for this name all relate to him - https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22dennis%20canning%22~%20%2Bsurname%3Aflanagan~

His birth (and baptism I think) in 1864, marriage in 1891 & death in 1906 are all listed here. His marriage has his name as "Denis", but I know he was married in Kells in that year, so it's a pretty good chance it's him.

So, LDS only have the index entries and not the actual document available. I had a look at the LDS FamilySearch locator and according to the map there's one in Limerick & Cork which doesn't help me too much as I'm in Dublin.

I can go to locations in Dublin easily enough - but I'm still not quite sure of the process, so if someone could give me a short pointer on where to go from here for example -
    name: Denis C Flanagan
    registration district: Kells
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1891
    estimated birth year:
    age (at death):
    mother's maiden name:
    film number: 101256
    volume number: 2
    page number: 695
    digital folder number: 4179388
    image number: 00379

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Zagmund! You haven't read our sticky!

You take the following details from what you posted and you go to the GRO website, download the relevant application forms, fill them out and post or fax them to Roscommon with your credit card details or a cheque.

name: Denis C Flanagan
    registration district: Kells
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1891
    volume number: 2
    page number: 695

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ah no, I've read it alright, but I got confused. There are just so many different ways of getting things that until I've actually gone through the process once I'm a little wary of them all :o . . .

I've now (thanks) gone to the GRO website - http://www.groireland.ie/ - and seen that they have a schedule of fees - http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm - and an "apply for a cert page" (€10) - http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm, and they also indicate you can get a photocopy of the original entry in the register (€6)

I presume if I order a copy of the entry I will face problems where I can't read the writing, so it's probably better to order a cert - is that correct ?

Does this mean that you can't go to Lombard Street any more ? I see there's an office in Abbey Street - can I rock up to them one day with all these numbers, fill in a batch of forms, pay them the €10 and get the same certificates, or am I better off to quit with the questions and stick with the GRO website ?

Finally, thanks for indicating it's the volume & page # that I need in this case.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

I usually never bother with ordering the cert, it's cheaper to order the register entries @ €4 each. If you go into the office in the Irish Life Centre, you can only purchase 5 on any one day, but you can submit and pay for any number - they will post the rest to you. The register entries are (normally) pretty legible and the staff are good at helping cipher things out if you get stuck.

I haven't been to Lombard Street for years but I think (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that you can still go in there to order full certs?

I'm actually in the process of asking the mods to let me revise the sticky since records and repositories have moved on since I first wrote it.

Lombard St is still a births deaths and marriages office but they no longer have any historical services. You can register your recently born child or recently deceased parent there or a marriage and get full legal copies of certs there but nothing else.

Abbey St is the reading room for research.

The GRO website is frankly the suck. Their form is set up for living people and has things like PPS on it. You only need to pay €4 to the GRO in Roscommon by post/fax for a copy of the register entry. I have ordered full copies in the past and once it came fully typed out like modern certs but all other times I got a handwritten one.

My main problem with Abbey St is that I have to take at least a day off work to get in there. They open 9.30 to 4.30. They don't close for lunch but frequently close the room to new visitors due to what they say is over capacity.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi Zagmund. I've used the Abbey Street office on a number of occasions, and I've found it really good. As a previous poster stated, you can only get 5 certs on the day. When I've ordered more, they have been posted to me within a couple of days. When you have the references, photocopies of certs (which are fine for family history) cost E4, if you need to do a search there to find the references, it costs E2 for each 5-year search. I always bring the references from the web with me. Good hunting!:) Catsmeow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I've found the best way is to go in and grab a handfull of the order forms. Fill them in at home using details from the online index, and arrive outside the research room at 9:15, and you will be one of the first in, and probably first to order. Usually you can be done by 9:45.

Shane

Shane is hardcore. :D
    I have a stockpile and photocopy them at work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've a scan somewhere of three order forms on one A4 page - If I can find it I'll post a pdf version

S.

I don't have 3 on one page, but here's one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

And you call Shane hardcore, pinky?? :p

The opening hours in Abbey Street are extremely frustrating. I end up recruiting friends and family to go in for me all the time! Even if they opened for a few hours on Saturday mornings, it would be so useful!

• Advertisement

My mother used to work in Irish Life, and I had a regular little courier service! :D
    Then she retired. I think just to frustrate my genealogical pursuits...

Genealogy Forum Mod

here's my three in one version...

S.

GROOrderFormsx3.pdf

Advertisement