Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Nitelink cut backs?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has heard the rumour that Dublin Bus will be discontinuing the Nitelink service next year? I heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend etc so it's probably not true - at least I hope it isnt!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If anything it should flourish with the latest alcohol limits proposed. Cannot see anything happening this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

From reading previous postings (here I think), the cost of paying the drivers to work those hours is very high. As I recall, it's overtime so is paid at a multiple of standard pay.

Given the availability of Taxi's these days, the only competitor left is cost. Nitelink's were only ever economical for an individual. It was near enough the same or cheaper for a group to get a Taxi.

Obviously, those living in the outlying areas are going to get financially stung if this goes ahead. However, the nitelink is not public service route so Dublin Bus would be free to do what they like here.

Perhaps a private operator could move in here with a better wage cost base. Hopefully the Dept. Transport would allow sale of license rather than insist on a 4 year application process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

From reading previous postings (here I think), the cost of paying the drivers to work those hours is very high. As I recall, it's overtime so is paid at a multiple of standard pay.

Quite a few of the 4 day week staff do them as a days work instead of OT.

No dept talk of Nitelink cutbacks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Robd,one of the major operational alterations which came in with the last "Survival/Viability Plan" was the introduction of a new grade of Driver working a permanent 4 Night roster.

This now ensures that most Nitelink duties are operated as normal working time which is at a reduced rate for that grade of driver.

The most impoatant point regarding the Nitelink is that it has never progressed from it`s original ethos,ie: an empty-the-city express.

What a great pity the company did not build upon its undoubted success and develop the much needed network of 24 hour trunk routes operating at reasonable fares.

Rocket Science..????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nooo!

Not the nitelink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Robd,one of the major operational alterations which came in with the last "Survival/Viability Plan" was the introduction of a new grade of Driver working a permanent 4 Night roster.

This now ensures that most Nitelink duties are operated as normal working time which is at a reduced rate for that grade of driver.

The most impoatant point regarding the Nitelink is that it has never progressed from it`s original ethos,ie: an empty-the-city express.

What a great pity the company did not build upon its undoubted success and develop the much needed network of 24 hour trunk routes operating at reasonable fares.

Rocket Science..????

Thanks, for the inside update AlekSmart. I haven't seen that posted elsewhere.

You are of course right about the empty-the-city ethos. Pity alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There's not the big demand for it that there once was, however by limiting the service further it will discourage even more people from bothering to Q for it. I think it would make it far more viable if there were 2 more pickup points on each route, I know there's hassle with handling cash that hour of the night but perhaps a 10 or 5 journey ticket could be introduced.

Advertisement