Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BER cert

Options
  • 01-02-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Anyone know the consequences for a landloard of not having a BER cert for a property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

stellios wrote: »
    Anyone know the consequences for a landloard of not having a BER cert for a property?

All landlords are meant to have a BER cert for each property they let or if they are selling, if not then they can be fined but they do have time to get one before prosecution

However this isn't really being enforced, this could change however with a new government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

There asked to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭stellios

Dymo wrote: »
    There asked to get one.

i see. does not give tenant any bargaining power?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not in the slightest. If you walk away they'll find someone to take the apartment who doesnt care about a BER rating. Result: Landlord gets away with being lazy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

i see. does not give tenant any bargaining power?

What are you trying to bargain for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'm renting and my landlord has not provided me with a BER cert.

She is starting to show her true colours as a lazy, apathetic landlord and if she keeps it up, I will be using the BER cert as a bargaining tool to get things done/rent down. The regulations specify fines of up to €5000 for non-compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Your landlord only needs to provide a BER cert if your letting commenced after the regulations came in, January 2009, I think.

If you have been in the property since before these regulations came in, the she does not legally have to get a BER done until she needs to let or sell the property.

I find that pointing her in the direction of the Minimum Housing Standards Regulations may be a better bargaining tool? It all depends on what works you are asking her to do I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Ciara22 wrote: »
    Your landlord only needs to provide a BER cert if your letting commenced after the regulations came in, January 2009, I think.

If you have been in the property since before these regulations came in, the she does not legally have to get a BER done until she needs to let or sell the property.

I find that pointing her in the direction of the Minimum Housing Standards Regulations may be a better bargaining tool? It all depends on what works you are asking her to do I suppose.
    BER certs are now required for all new and existing residential units for sale or rent. Yes, you're right that the other one is probably a better bargaining tool but it's handy to know about all landlord obligations when dealing with landlords that aren't bothered that you're living in a leaky flat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement