Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girder bridge at the Strawberry beds

Options
  • 02-11-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while.

There is an old girder bridge at the Strawberry beds (not far from the M50 bridges).

Anyone know what it was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I remember reading somewhere that it was to do with Farmleigh estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Great, cheers. Have wondered about that bridge for years! I knew it wasn't a railway bridge, but couldn't figure out what it was / is. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

All wrong. Here's the truth.

The bridge was actually the first stage of a direct railway to Navan. The line branched off the GSWR line at Ballyfermot. It ran underground through a single bore tunnel (which still exists) before re-emerging north of Palmerstown and crossing the liffey on that famous bridge, before going under (single bore) Farmleigh estate. Underground stations were built in the 'fermot and Palmerstown. (with one provided under farmleigh for the Guiness family, who financed it.) They still exist as storage for state records and bunkers for the Irish Government in the event of Nuclear war. The tunnel mouth on the northside of the liffey is located in a stable yard in Ashtown. The line was meant to connect with the MGWR line and run on to Navan via the original alignment.

I thought everyone knew this.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I wonder how long the tunnel is - or is it just an arch does anyone know?

Edit: It is a tunnel as well as an arch.
    strawberrybeds_bridge3_lge.jpg

strawberrybeds_bridge_metalwork_lge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

DWCommuter wrote: »
    All wrong. Here's the truth.

The bridge was actually the first stage of a direct railway to Navan. The line branched off the GSWR line at Ballyfermot. It ran underground through a single bore tunnel (which still exists) before re-emerging north of Palmerstown and crossing the liffey on that famous bridge, before going under (single bore) Farmleigh estate. Underground stations were built in the 'fermot and Palmerstown. (with one provided under farmleigh for the Guiness family, who financed it.) They still exist as storage for state records and bunkers for the Irish Government in the event of Nuclear war. The tunnel mouth on the northside of the liffey is located in a stable yard in Ashtown. The line was meant to connect with the MGWR line and run on to Navan via the original alignment.

I thought everyone knew this.;)

Some years ago, the Dublin Underground Development Union used to run a guided tour of the line, including a walk in said tunnels. The Farmleigh section was complete subsided and flooded in 1993 after Castleknock College attempted to built swimming pool under the route so sadly the tours were discontinued. The tunnel in Palmerstown was filled in 1996 to prevent knacker drinking after complaints from the board of Kings Hospital School. The section underneath Cherry Orchard will be fitted out by the HSE as a research lab as part of a land swap deal with CIE for the Interconnector; ironic that a tunnel will refit another tunnel!

I have a photo of a 2-2-2 loco on it that was taken in the mid 1850's. I found it the day I went on the tour; you should include it in your book as AFAIK it has never been published

Advertisement