Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband in apartments

Options
  • 17-08-2004 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm involved in a small start-up offering wireless broadband to apartments. Just wondering how much people would be prepared to pay for this, and if a charge (about €300 pa) was automatically added to your apartment complex service charge, would you protest or would you consider it a good deal?

Thanks

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

€300 a year/€25 a month? I suppose it's not that bad compared to what DSL would cost. What's the story with speed, signal, service levels, pings, caps, etc. You haven't given enough info for someone to decide whether or not it would be a good service for the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wirelessproject

It's a 2MB uncontended line with no upload or download limits. More info at www.wirelessprojects.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

The website doesnt contain much in the way of info does it.

three of the four top menus all link to the same page.
    there is zero detail about what the product is specs price anything else,
    and i dont want to have to go watching a video to find out things like that.

There is no information as to what availability the product has ( per apartment, per block ? ) , what is supplied with the product ( wireless cards ? ).

other than some marketing blurb there really isnt much content,

cant say id be convinced seeing that website.

c22

Mmm, dunno. I wouldn't sign up for it based on what little info is contained on that website. :(

Thanks for your input. It's difficult to put a pricing structure on the site as it depends on the number of apts in the block and other specifics to be discussed with each separate management committee. €300 pa per apartment is an average. I take your point about having other info, eg wireless cards, more specs, on the site. Although a majority of our customers just want to know whether or not they can get "fast Internet", it's more knowledgeable users like yourselves who could drive demand.

Catch_22 - can I ask what browser you're using? Is it Firefox? The drop-down menus don't seem to work in Firefox, will have to change them.

• Advertisement

I take your point about having other info, eg wireless cards, more specs, on the site. Although a majority of our customers just want to know whether or not they can get "fast Internet", it's more knowledgeable users like yourselves who could drive demand.

You're probably right - when Joe Soap thinks of broadband, he thinks of Eircom. Techie users would seem to be your best bet in the starting stages unless you're going to be spending a *lot* of money on advertising.

Anyways, whatever about a pricing structure, it's not going to cost you anything to add some technical specs to the site.

Best of luck with the venture anyway - I think you could do well. BTW, is this a Dublin-only thing, or are there plans for outside The Pale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Are you saying everyone would have to pay the extra on their service charge, regardless of wether or not they actually want the service? If so, I'd definitely object.

If I actually did want to use it, then 300 isn't too bad.. However, how many lines would be coming into the block, and how many wireless hotspots would you provide for that yearly fee? For example, would 40 apartments be sharing this single 2Mb line?

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,279 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just wondering how much people would be prepared to pay for this, and if a charge (about €300 pa) was automatically added to your apartment complex service charge, would you protest or would you consider it a good deal?
    Most would be outraged at €300 pa added automatically, seeing as not everyone wants or need BB.

I take it you are offering 2MB per apartment *each*. But what does the block get if there are say 100 apartments, can they potentially download at @ 200MB.

And surely with new apartments, it's as easy to install a 100MB+ LAN?

Victor wrote:
    Most would be outraged at €300 pa added automatically, seeing as not everyone wants or need BB.

My point exactly.
    Management fees are high enough without an extra 300 blips added onto them. I reckon leave it up to the individuals to sort themselves out. Anyone can set up their own wireless lan.

K.

I would imagine that the charge would apply only to people who are actually using the service, hence the variable charge as the original poster said...

Bit unfair otherwise, wouldn't it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Victor wrote:

I take it you are offering 2MB per apartment *each*. But what does the block get if there are say 100 apartments, can they potentially download at @ 200MB.

And surely with new apartments, it's as easy to install a 100MB+ LAN?

.....No, no it's not.
    Do you know how much a 2meg uncontended line (even dsl) costs per month, never mind per year?
    A hell of a lot more than 300pa.

Fiona, you really need to specify the technical details :)
    Take a sample case:
    10 3-bedroom apartments in a block. That's 30 people. 18 of those people (6 apartments) want to avail of the BB.

What happens from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The apartment building i'm moving into next week has two 2mb bonded dsl lines, and they charge €13 per month per apartment for this (uncapped) service. There's a network point in every bedroom and the sitting room. There's a comms room in the basement so they can patch our apartment into the network ready for us to move in.
    If I want wireless I can just attach a wireless access point. No way would I pay 300 per annum for a 2mb service that'd be sharing with LOADS of other people! Seems very high to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,279 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SyxPak wrote:
    .....No, no it's not.
    Do you know how much a 2meg uncontended line (even dsl) costs per month, never mind per year? A hell of a lot more than 300pa. Fiona, you really need to specify the technical details :)
    Fair enough, the initial posts are a little fuzzy and presumptious about people's desires though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

if a charge (about €300 pa) was automatically added to your apartment complex service charge, would you protest or would you consider it a good deal?

I'd scream like a bitch tbh, the last thing I need added to my existing annual charge of €1300 is another €300. While yes, your charge is good and reasonable (for what you get) the fact that it's a lump sum payment, and arrives with another major lump sum makes it unattractive

Frankly I'd be prepared to pay more on a monthly basis for the budgetary advantages.

The last point, for yourselves to consider, if a block buys in to your system, but over time users dwindle, for various reasons - better prices or service elsewhere - what happens to the remaining users, and the equipment that you have installed in the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume you're aiming at older apartment blocks, seeing more modern ones like eth0_'s come with ethernet builtin?

Syxpak's example is a good one, we'd need to know how you would proceed from there. :)

Ok, to answer your questions...

The pricing structure depends on the apartment complex. What we're thinking of at the moment is a charge of €100 to be added to the service charge for all apartments, then as users take up the service they would be charged €40-60 per quarter, €80-100 for 6 months or €150-180 pa. We'll do apt complexes of any size, anywhere in the country, both new and old, and if it's a large complex with a good take-up, the 2MB line can be upgraded to 4, 6, 10 or whatever is needed. This is a managed service so nobody will be able to hog the bandwidth. Bear in mind that the price also includes Internet access so is considerably cheaper than Eircom or Esat. And you're getting a home wireless network without having to set up anything yourself. We can also supply a wireless card and install it but it would be extra.

We're also thinking of offering VoIP so people could do away with their landlines altogether.

Any other comments/queries welcome...

Fiona

borzoi wrote:
    I'd scream like a bitch tbh

Me too.

Even having an extra 100 added on to my own management fee, which is also 1300 PA (which I pay for on my own), is something I'd object to. Management fees are on the up as it is, without having to pay for something you don't want. Why should everyone in the block have to pay if not everyone wants it..?

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What we're thinking of at the moment is a charge of €100 to be added to the service charge for all apartments,
    I don't live in an apartment block, but I can tell you that there is no way in hell that anyone will pay an extra €100 for a service that they're not going to use. You could do a deal with the management company to include it as part of their fees, but that's dishonest, and leaves you in trouble if the management co. gets fired - if the new co. didn't play ball, you'd have to cut off subscribers and not tell them why.
    then as users take up the service they would be charged €40-60 per quarter, €80-100 for 6 months or €150-180 pa.
    That's a very good price, extremely low. To me it would make more sense to forgoe the €100 above, and increase the per annum cost to €280-€300. You're making a little less money from the apartment block, but you're still supplying a service cheaper than ISPs, and you could arrange to decrease the price per apartment as more apartments subscribe, to encourage people to signup.
    This is a managed service so nobody will be able to hog the bandwidth.
    Yeah, that's very important, and also quite a simple thing to set up.
    And you're getting a home wireless network without having to set up anything yourself. We can also supply a wireless card and install it but it would be extra.
    If you're really concerned about the €100 above, I'd charge a minimal install fee, regardless. €50, coupled with the charges I said above, should cover your costs, and as you say, people are still getting a home network without having to go out and buy a router, pay for broadband install, etc.
    We're also thinking of offering VoIP so people could do away with their landlines altogether.
    Great area to move into. Watch it explode in the next few years.

My only comment on this is that if people think it's prohibitively expensive, or it's being forced on them, they'll be happy to ignore it and continue to use the internet access they have in work. IMO, most of the people who are signing up for residential DSL and cable are those who want it at home, regardless of what they have in work - the people like myself who use it as a communications and education tool, who are not in a majority. If you can keep costs low, then you can encourage more apartments to sign up, straight away, which is what you want. Slow takeup, or low takeup as you know is a killer for any business.

Thanks Seamus. In response to your question about new apt blocks with CAT5 cable - apart from the advantages to users, wireless is also much less costly for builders. Of course we can retro-fit, but it's better for everyone if we can get in at the building stage. And we only use 11g and 11a.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would have thought Wireless would cause you more hassle than cat5, reception wise there'll always be coverage/signal issues etc. Personally i'm going to stick a wireless access point in the patch point in our closet, stick WEP on and bobs your uncle.

How exactly are you going to implement this so it works as an individual network in each apartment, and not just one huge network in the apartment block?

• Advertisement

Once a thorough and detailed site-survey is completed, and the network is installed with APs located correctly (also using external antennas), coverage issues are eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Catch_22 - can I ask what browser you're using? Is it Firefox? The drop-down menus don't seem to work in Firefox, will have to change them.

Im using mozilla 1.7 at the moment.

c22

Advertisement