Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 - 2010 A4 B8 2.0 TDI - advice please!

• 13-06-2019 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Interested in purchasing an early model B8 A4 2 litre TDI and had some questions that hopefully some of you folk will be able to help with.

I know that the 2.0 TDI engine in these were affected by the emissions scandal. If the software patch is applied, will it cause issues with the engine and how it runs in the long term, I've heard some horror stories about people who have had the fix applied - should I be worried about it with this engine? Is there a way to have this rolled back to before the update was done?

Is there any main things to look out for in these? I know that clutch/flywheel are common on all VAG diesels but is there anything else to look out for?

Donedeal is a minefield of variants etc but before I look any deeper can any help with the above questions, particularly regarding the emissions software update.

Thanks in advance,

O

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Try and go for sline 177bhp

They are overall a good car. I had a 2010 one 136bhp and found it a tad underpowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The driver's foot pedals are noticeably offset on them. It bothers some, it doesn't bother others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    The driver's foot pedals are noticeably offset on them. It bothers some, it doesn't bother others.

Yeah. There’s nowhere for your left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I noticed that when I drove it. Does anyone know if there is any bother with them with the new software loaded by VW for the emissions? I've heard on the Golfs that they threw EGR valves and injectors.

Also know that clutch and flywheel would probably need doing on these - any one know a rough cost from a good indy for this work?

Thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Clutch and Flywheel will cost circa €1k from Indy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My wife has a 2013 one of these for the last 3 years.

It's been a great buy, completely trouble free (touch wood!). Ours was a UK import, ex company car and the miles on it were on the high side (around 80k miles when we bought it), but it really didn't look like a car with big miles. They seem to wear the miles exceptionally well. There's over 100k miles on it now and not a squeak or rattle in it.

We've had it serviced with the local Audi dealers, who to be fair haven't been expensive and they give you "freebies" with the service such as one year road assist. We had the timing belt done in the last service and it was a fairly standard cost, around 400 if I recall.

The one issue it has had since we got it is a slight shudder when moving off from a start when cold. It's apparently very common and a sign that there's an issue with the clutch/flywheel. But - it's never got any worse and Audi said leave it alone so long as it doesn't bother us or doesn't get worse.

Agree with the comment re offset pedals - they do feel oddly placed, but you get used to it too.

Oh, we also had the emissions "fix" applied and it made no difference whatsoever to how the car drives/performs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

OREGATO wrote: »
    I noticed that when I drove it. Does anyone know if there is any bother with them with the new software loaded by VW for the emissions? I've heard on the Golfs that they threw EGR valves and injectors.

Also know that clutch and flywheel would probably need doing on these - any one know a rough cost from a good indy for this work?

Thanks for the replies guys

If it felt okay when you drove it - nice power delivery, refined etc - then it's either.....

1) not got the fix at all.

2) Or it has it but is actually okay.

From what I saw on reading up on the whole thing a year or so back - the 177s seemed to have less complaints post fix.

Edit - just to elaborate my point on if it drives okay even with the fix then it is okay......

Normally when people moaned about the fix afterwards - there was some issue with how the car drove - whether that's extra noise, change in power delivery (lifeless below 2500 rpm for example) and stuff like that.

JoeA3 wrote: »

It's been a great buy, completely trouble free (touch wood!). Ours was a UK import, ex company car and the miles on it were on the high side (around 80k miles when we bought it), but it really didn't look like a car with big miles. They seem to wear the miles exceptionally well. There's over 100k miles on it now and not a squeak or rattle in it.

We've had it serviced with the local Audi dealers, who to be fair haven't been expensive and they give you "freebies" with the service such as one year road assist. We had the timing belt done in the last service and it was a fairly standard cost, around 400 if I recall.

The one issue it has had since we got it is a slight shudder when moving off from a start when cold. It's apparently very common and a sign that there's an issue with the clutch/flywheel. But - it's never got any worse and Audi said leave it alone so long as it doesn't bother us or doesn't get worse.

Agree with the comment re offset pedals - they do feel oddly placed, but you get used to it too.

Oh, we also had the emissions "fix" applied and it made no difference whatsoever to how the car drives/performs.

Thanks for all the replies guys. @JoeA3, this is great feedback and really helpful with the first hand experience you've shared.

One more question for any A4 owners - what is the boot space like and would you recommend it with two young kids. My wife is expecting number two and this would be used for traveling down the country to the in laws etc. I am happy with cabin room and by looking at the boot it is definitely going to hold more than our current MK7 Golf but does anyone have any practical experience with this car and 2 young kids and all the baggage that goes with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Boot space is excellent in ours, but ours is an Avant (estate) which I don’t think I mentioned. The saloon has a pretty decent boot too but like all saloons, the boot opening is a bit tight. It should be perfectly fine though for buggies etc.

Cabin space is ok, but only average really. It’s not huge by any means. Wouldn’t be any bigger in the back seat than your MK7 Golf. The centre tunnel is fairly intrusive. It has the isofix for the child seats, in the front passenger seat too which I believe is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

bazz26 wrote: »

Same in the A6 C7. Dunno how Audi get away with poor driver ergonomics like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

JoeA3 wrote: »

I also have this judder on my 2013 a4 s line.
    I previously had exact same judder on my 2005 Audi A3, my 2007 vw Jetta and also my 2008 seat Leon. Extremely common I would say!. Touch wood I’ve never had any clutch or flywheel failures. Boot space is good. I recently went on family holidays and was enough room in the boot for 7 luggage bags. Owned mine for 2 years and thing it needed was a wheel bearing. Tyre wear is a little excessive but build quality and fuel economy all very impressive. You won’t regret buying one IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Azatadine wrote: »
    Same in the A6 C7. Dunno how Audi get away with poor driver ergonomics like that.

Because it isn’t a problem on the LHD ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Because it isn’t a problem on the LHD ones.

Yeah, but show show complete disregard for RHD.

Cheers for all the replies lads. I did notice that the pedals were offset a bit but didn't think twice about it.

I ended up buying a 08 saloon model with only 90k kilometres on the clock. It's got a full service history from Audi and all the receipts and NCT reports which back up the mileage. It's in great condition and I'm really pleased with how it drives. Have only picked it up today and it needs a good clean but so far I'm very happy. It'll be perfect for number 2 comes. Thanks again for all the replies!

Advertisement