Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing utility bills back into land lords name

Options
  • 15-07-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    So we have our home rented out due to an overseas assignment and to cut a long story short, we're moving back shortly and will move back into our home once the tenants leave at the end of the month. This is not something we've gone through before so my main questions are around changing gas, electricity and water (?) bills back into our names. I'm sure you good folk will be able to help so my questions are as follows:

- Who is responsible for changing the bills back into our names?

- When the tenants move out, are they applying for a disconnection (that's what we are doing here in our current location overseas when we move out) and then when we move back in we apply for a reconnection? Or when they end their account they have to change immediately into our names?

Problem we have is, I cant for the life of me remember what we did when we moved into the house when we bought. Plus when we moved out to move abroad, we had an agent deal with the tenants when they moved in first but they have moved on and I've no way of contacting them so I can't even refer to what was done then. I'm sure its very straight forward but need a bit of a steer never the less.....thanks for the pointers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You just ask to transfer the account to your name. Make sure you take a reading with the tenant as they move out.
    MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Who is responsible for changing the bills back into our names?
    You have primary responsibility.
    - When the tenants move out, are they applying for a disconnection
    No. that means they will physically disconnect you and charge disconnection and connection fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

The tenant will close their account. There is 14 days for you to arrange to have it put into your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Thanks for the replies....so what i'm reading is that at the time the tenants move out, they get meter readings with the person who will do the handover with them and if they haven't already closed the account then we simply ring the utility company and change the bill into our names.....has a familiar ring to it alright......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for the replies....so what i'm reading is that at the time the tenants move out, they get meter readings with the person who will do the handover with them and if they haven't already closed the account then we simply ring the utility company and change the bill into our names.....has a familiar ring to it alright......

What I have always done is take a final reading. Submit that to the supplier and tell them I am leaving the property and putting the a/c back to the previous holder ie NAME .

So you call them and check etc..

The tenant needs to make the first move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Ok, so slight complication, the current tenants are not with the supplier that we want to go with. Any pointers on what to do in the event that they change it to our name? Is there a cool off period whereby we can change to our preferred supplier? Thanks....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok, so slight complication, the current tenants are not with the supplier that we want to go with. Any pointers on what to do in the event that they change it to our name? Is there a cool off period whereby we can change to our preferred supplier? Thanks....

The tenant closes their account with their supplier- giving their supplier a final reading. You can go with whatever supplier you want- you need the meter and the account nos. to give to your new supplier. You are under no obligation to go with the same supplier that the tenant used- and the tenant's contract is between they and the supplier- its not a contract that you are party to. The tenant has to close their account though- they are not changing the name on the account- they are closing the account. You are not seeking a disconnection- just that the tenant close off their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The tenant closes their account with their supplier- giving their supplier a final reading. You can go with whatever supplier you want- you need the meter and the account nos. to give to your new supplier. You are under no obligation to go with the same supplier that the tenant used- and the tenant's contract is between they and the supplier- its not a contract that you are party to. The tenant has to close their account though- they are not changing the name on the account- they are closing the account. You are not seeking a disconnection- just that the tenant close off their account.

I did that with my last tenancy ; landlord was with a different supplier and that was no problem .

Advertisement