Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Echo Button (alternative)

Options
  • 17-03-2019 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for a button (battery powered) to put into the kids room to turn on various lights at night if they wake. At two for £20 are the Amazon Buttons as good as it gets or is there a cheaper option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I'd doubt if you would get anything cheaper than that....Ubless you made your own...
    Edit: Also, AFAIR those echo buttons are bluetooth, so would have to be in range of your echo.

Or (in case anyone is into that kind of thing) I remember reading about hacking "Amazon dash" buttons - these are wifi buttons amazon send out that are branded and you can set them up to order a particular product product at the push of the button (e.g. when you run out of washing powder you just hit the button).
    They only cost 3 or 4 dollars.
    Think this was it.
    https://blog.cloudstitch.com/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8?gi=ca9bf501de52

You basically set the button up to do nothing, then write a python script running on your wifi network to detect the button press.
    From there you can do lots.... But sending webhooks to ifttt is prob best way to get your lights to come on.
    2 things though...
    1. IFTTT sometimes isnt the quickest to respond - Im not saying it takes minutes, but in a situation where you want your lights to come on, even a few seconds is annoying.
    2. Im not sure if they support those dash buttons on our amazon accounts - so initial set up may be tricky - but I wouldnt say impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Amazon have discontinued the dash buttons.
    Xiaomi have button switches but are no cheaper than the above, and you'd need a hub and a way to link them all.

Advertisement