Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hidden gems of Irish radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    The show concept / content is fine, as are the co-presenters but I'm afraid Mooney presenting anything just drives me up the wall....I find I can't take him seriously at all.

Outside of his wildlife show, i can’t take him either. I caught around 30 seconds of the Eurovision coverage last year and he actually wept audibly when the irish entry was played. In that format he is the king of schlock.

However his knowledge and sheer passion makes it easy for me to give him a pass for his wildlife show. It’s actually a bit of an anomaly because a nature show on radio should not really work at all. If we’re honest 99% of people only tune into wildlife for Attenborough (maybe the wonderful Chris Packham too) or incredible cinematography.

They did a show last year on bird migration that wasn’t possibly the best thing I’ve heard on mooney goes wild for years, but on the whole of radio too. It was gripping and fascinating stuff.

Expunge wrote: »
    He's one of Ireland's best known TV personalities with a large TV audience on 'Winning Streak' - in the hundreds of thousands. He has a radio audience somewhere between 40 and 45 thousand each morning- local radio levels.

That's okay for the other nobodies on Lyric playing Classical music in a fairly informed way but this chap is supposed to use his star power to bring in an audience. It hasn't worked.

Now in the morning, Lyric has the famed "banter", discussions about 'Dancing with the Stars" on Mondays (at the same time as Radio 1) and cooking with Nevin Maguire on Fridays.
    He seems to have heard of a few operas and arias by Puccini and Verdi and everything else after that is a struggle for him.

Off to Gold with him where his "banter" will, I'm sure, be loved. And he won't have to pretend to like the few pieces of Classical he's forced to play.

Ah, here...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah, here...
    Agree with every word of that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm 42 and i think Creedon is the best thing on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Kelly Anne Bryne on today fm on the weekends is pretty good. She's got good taste and has a genuine love for the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

Starting listening to Marty about 3 years ago and never move from it between 7 and 9 when driving . There’s nothing else on offer at Breakfast worth listening to .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

johnplayer wrote: »
    Starting listening to Marty about 3 years ago and never move from it between 7 and 9 when driving . There’s nothing else on offer at Breakfast worth listening to .

And that's fine. It's just on the wrong network, that's all. I'm sure you and all the other Marty fans would follow him wherever he'd go. Any ones I have ever spoken to have zero interest in anything else on the station. They think it's all a load of boring bollocks.
    It's hardly doing the cause of Public Service broadcasting any good having him on Lyric, I would have thought.
    Hidden, maybe... a gem? That's a matter of taste.

I wouldn't class myself as a Marty fan anyway..I'd have zero interest in him on the winning streak etc.. only listen to him because he's on lyric..
    Lyric FM is just a great radio station anyway..yer one on in the afternoons is brilliant too..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

OK, so no fans of John Bowman Sunday 8:30?

Now admittedly he does seem to have a lot of three part programmes about the likes of Seamus O'Mordha and his fifty year career in the Department Of Obscure Folklore, but the archive stuff is worth hearing, mainly for how, even in the 60's, it was all so rehearsed and staged.

I read somewhere that it is only since the sixties that any unscripted talk was allowed on Radio Eireann. Just think about that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Antenna wrote: »
    He has been doing a similar show 'This Island Nation' every fortnight going out on a number of community radio stations:

https://www.mixcloud.com/discover/this-island-nation/

Now I just have to figure out how to find that when I want it. Thank you for posting this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is a another hidden gem: the A-Z of Great Tracks presented by Steve Conway on 8Radio.com.

Each week it is broadcast for the first time on Wednesday nights between 8 and 9 pm, and is repeated on Saturday mornings between 10 and 11 am. Steve plays an amazingly eclectic selection of songs as he makes his way through the alphabet - spanning the '60s right up to today. He started doing this in 2013 I think! He is currently in the middle of songs with titles that start with the word "The"!

http://8radio.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RINO87 wrote: »
    Totally agree, was a big fan of the creedon show for years, but it is what it is and can be repetitive. Find myself listening to the mystery train more and more.

I used to switch back for the last hour of creedon but have found myself sticking with lyric and the blue of the night more and more these days.

A clusterfuk in radio programming, two of their best on at the same time. Well done Dee !!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

I wonder is it exactly the same one Tom used, though? Must have a listen this Friday. The one Tom used had piano in it and try as i might i was never able to locate that version of the tune and have no idea where he got it from.

It is a different arrangement now, possibly exactly the same as that used by the BBC. I prefer the previous one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

johnplayer wrote: »

Totally agree-stuck in Naas roadworks this morning and only for Marty I’d have gone mad!

It is a different arrangement now, possibly exactly the same as that used by the BBC. I prefer the previous one too.

Yeah same here, the strings kind of evoke the gentle rolling waves while the piano part suggest a buoy or some other object bobbing up and down on top of them. It’s just such an evocative tune, wish I could get my hands on that earlier version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

A clusterfuk in radio programming, two of their best on at the same time. Well done Dee !!

I'd say Dee or her managers would be hard pressed to name any programme or presenter post 7pm on any of the RTE Radio channels.

She's too busy trying to extract herself from a bad career choice in coming to RTE in the first place.
    News, Current Affairs, Meeriam hosting some spectacular nothingness in Collins Barracks or Dublin Castle seems to be all they care about now.
    Hidden gems or PSB is not really their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

sweetie wrote: »

Bit past my bedtime but always a great show anytime I've tuned in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Before it's axed by Dan Healy, check out Dave Fanning on 2FM 9 to 11 am Saturdays and Sundays. The only show on 2FM you are likely to hear a song pre-1990

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭RINO87

sweetie wrote: »

Yes!! I remember stumbling across that in the car years back, it was a thursday and he was banging out the choons. Was sure I had tuned into a local pirate but then in swings Cian ag caint as gaeilge!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The South Wind Blows is good, but I can't be listening to all that affected whispering that Philip goes on with, drives me mad!

Love Playback, as I miss most of the stuff during the week so it's a chance to catch up - although it's very dependent on the taste/humour of the presenter, wonder how the new incumbents will work out??

Doc on One when I catch them are unfailingly brilliant - I agree that there are a lot of repeats, but it's a programme

Agree with Lilian Smith, I love her taste in music, and also John Creedon.

Agree fully with all the above although I actually like the hushed tones "from Kerry on the edge of the Atlantic"

John Creedon is excellent I time my evenings to be walking the dog while he s on. It's always a perfect switch off.

Bernard is on top form on the blue of the night on lyric tonight! I think that show is just getting better and better.
    Got in from work the good lady had some great deep house on the stereo, surprised to see it was lyric! Closely followed by Chopin, some array of showtunes and now three from Black Sabbath, war pigs, the wizard and planet caravan. This is great stuff!

Edit! 4 from Sabbath, behind thewall of sleep now too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I tell you one hidden gem who should be here but isn't cos he isn't on air anywhere - Donal Dineen.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

shar01 wrote: »
    I know it's not a radio show in the usual sense but I'm a fan of Pam Duggan on livedrive on Dublin City FM. I enjoy the mix of music and there's some funny moments.

I'd love to hear her on one of the "bigger" stations.

This is a great show.
    No waffle, no craaazzzzzy banter, no ads as such-only for other shows on the station, and great music.
    Pam has played nearly every song that I have requested, last Friday before the long weekend she played nearly all of Stargazer by Rainbow.

Chugging down the M50, belting it out with Ronnie James Dio, before 9am.....oh yeah:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is a another hidden gem: the A-Z of Great Tracks presented by Steve Conway on 8Radio.com.

Each week it is broadcast for the first time on Wednesday nights between 8 and 9 pm, and is repeated on Saturday mornings between 10 and 11 am. Steve plays an amazingly eclectic selection of songs as he makes his way through the alphabet - spanning the '60s right up to today. He started doing this in 2013 I think! He is currently in the middle of songs with titles that start with the word "The"!

http://8radio.com/

As I said above! I heard The A-Z of Great Tracks last night. Steve still has a good bit to go yet before he finishes with songs with titles starting with the word "The"!

If you check out the schedule for 8Radio.com, there are plenty of hidden gems there.

I tell you one hidden gem who should be here but isn't cos he isn't on air anywhere - Donal Dineen.

+1. Donal was initially axed from rte on the same day as Val Joyce and John Kelly’s Mystery Train. Three of my favourites taken out with one bullet, remains a dark day in my memory.

Dub Ste wrote: »
    shar01 wrote: »
    I know it's not a radio show in the usual sense but I'm a fan of Pam Duggan on livedrive on Dublin City FM. I enjoy the mix of music and there's some funny moments.

I'd love to hear her on one of the "bigger" stations.

This is a great show.
    No waffle, no craaazzzzzy banter, no ads as such-only for other shows on the station, and great music.
    Pam has played nearly every song that I have requested, last Friday before the long weekend she played nearly all of Stargazer by Rainbow.

Chugging down the M50, belting it out with Ronnie James Dio, before 9am.....oh yeah:D:D:D

Sounds great! Do they have a listen back option anywhere?

Advertisement