Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview clothes/appearance

Options
  • 19-02-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've go interview coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm a bit stuck on what to wear. I've only ever had interviews/worked in third level institutes in other countries before, and I've tended to always wear the same outfit: a dark green long sleeved wool, tights, and black patent brogues. This job I'm up for now is a semi-state research institution in Ireland, and any googling for suggestions seems to focus on corporate jobs and suits. While I'm ok with a nice blouse and trousers/a skirt, I absolutely, passionately hate blazers - because I've really narrow shoulders, virtually no chest, and normal sized hips, I've never found one that looks right on me. I also just find the open-jacket look uncomfortable in general. Would it be ok to just wear the shirt and whatever bottoms with nothing over the shirt? And where in Ireland would be good to find this kind of gear at a reasonable price?

I'm also slightly concerned because I was quite ill between October and early January, and I've lost a good bit of weight. This is one reason why I need to buy a new outfit but don't want to spend too much money on it. My main worry, though, is that I look sick even though I'm quite a bit better. My face is quite gaunt, very pale (though I am naturally pale) and I have permanent dark rings under my eyes. I can't imagine that this is a good look going for an interview, but I have no idea what to do about it. I'm not great at make-up, and I think it can only do so much anyway. Any idea of colours to go for/avoid? I've auburn hair and blue eyes, and tend to go for blues and greens a lot. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Could you look into a cropped blazer? They're more boxy shaped and might flatter better. You can choose a colour to compliment your skirt /trousers rather then match, or play with texture?

I would look at an illuminating base/BB cream and a brightening under eye concealer.
    Maybelleine under eye eraser is good for dark circles!
    Charlotte Tilbury has a illuminating base, Hollywood flawless filter, you should try get a sample, it would be enough to test and then wear to your interview if you liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I would steer clear of a shirt with no blazer in all honesty because you run the risk of looking like you forgot to put one on. In those kinds of environments shirts really need a blazer.

I've interviewed for similar roles in the past and I think a professional dress like you describe would be fine. You could also go for trousers with a turtleneck type jumper, with a formal coat you can take off when you get there. It looks more polished without a blazer than a blouse/shirt.

Re: the makeup. You could have a look at some light concealer under your eyes for the bags and a tinted moisturiser to even everything out.

Re: colours. Something like a rusty brown is professional, would go lovely with your colouring and add some warm next to your face. I'd avoid blues/greys just because they're cold against your face.

And finally best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Thank you both for the replies! To be honest, I'd much rather go with a dress rather than separates because that's what I'm used to - I'm not a big fan of skirts or blouses in general. I'll need to get a new one because the one I usually wear is way too loose on me at the moment. Any recommendations on where I can get one? Even just general sites. I rarely shop and haven't done so in Ireland for about eight years at this stage.

Baby and crumble, rusty brown is a really good colour on me but I never think of it - thank you!

Makeup-wise, I have an under-eye concealer (don't know what brand). I'll ask in the chemist about the illuminating bb cream/tinted moisturiser too. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok well I don't wear dresses but I always hear friends talk about Next and M&S as good shouts for ladies workwear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

You know you can book a personal shopper in debenhams. Tell them what you like and your budget and the occasion. You are not obliged to buy anything and they have very reasonably priced clothes, from high street shops to more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would think that a black (or dark), knee-length, plain, well-fitting dress, with tights and pumps, would be suitable. I'm personally not sure about brogues - they're a bit casual (and, to me, scream PRIMARY SCHOOL, especially when they're black, but I'm probably in the minority there!).

How about something like these?

https://www.closetlondon.com/black-bodycon-ponte-pencil-dress-1.html

https://www.closetlondon.com/navy-cowl-neck-pencil-dress.html

https://www.closetlondon.com/black-wrap-kimono-dress.html

https://www.closetlondon.com/navy-mandarin-collar-pencil-dress.html

https://www.closetlondon.com/black-pleated-pencil-dress.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

A dress will be perfect - once it looks smart.

I'd advise a nice coat if you're not wearing a blazer. I've interviewed a few people recently who brought Regatta style Mammy raincoats into the interview and it looked terrible tbh.

It wouldn't really bother me if someone wasn't wearing a blazer once their overall appearance was smart and put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'd pick something like that. Navy will be probably a bit more friendly to your complexion than black at the moment. And wrap shape can be adjusted a bit for the size.

https://www.finerylondon.com/ie/products/bramble-midnight-wrap-dress?taxon_id=133

https://shop.mango.com/ie/women/coats-coats/structured-wool-coat_43067776.html?c=78&n=1&s=prendas_she.nuevaTemporada;true

I'm generally a big fan of navy for formal wear, so these are good suggestions! Faith, I really like the two navy dresses you posted but would I not need something over the cap sleeve? Just considering the time of year, I would have thought again a blazer or something would have been necessary. I think the formal coat is a good idea, otherwise, and I have one similar to the one meeeh posted.

I think I'll probably take a run up to Dundrum next week and see about the personal shopper. Thank you all so much for the help - I think think the outfit has been stressing me out more than the interview itself, so I appreciate it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    I'm generally a big fan of navy for formal wear, so these are good suggestions! Faith, I really like the two navy dresses you posted but would I not need something over the cap sleeve? Just considering the time of year, I would have thought again a blazer or something would have been necessary. I think the formal coat is a good idea, otherwise, and I have one similar to the one meeeh posted.

I’m not sure, actually! I work in a smart casual environment, so for my last interview, I wore a knee length dress and cardigan, but that sounds much too casual for yours. Are you thinking from a warmth or covering perspective? The room will probably be warm, and you’d take your coat off in any case, so if it’s warmth you should be okay. But maybe someone who works/interviews in that environment could advise as to whether the dress code would call for long sleeves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Best of luck with the interview.

In terms of makeup, you can always go to your "preferred makeup counter" in a department store (BT, Arnott's, Debenham's) and make an appointment for having your makeup done. Explain your concerns, and the look you're going for, and they'll do your makeup for you, sell you the products they've used, and show you how they're applying it. Then go home and practice the application until you're comfortable enough to do it on the morning.

I'm quite a cold person, but I think I might get away without anything over the dress if I can put a thermal vest underneath (my thermal collection is significantly bigger than my formal wear wardrobe!). I've gone ahead and order a dress that Faith suggested (https://www.closetlondon.com/navy-cowl-neck-pencil-dress.html) but I'll still head to Debenhams over the weekend in case it's too big.

Thoie, you've actually reminded me that my friend's sister works at one of the Arnott's make-up counters - I'm going to give her a shout and see if she can meet me over the weekend. Thank you!

Advertisement