Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New program RESCUE on Virgin One starting tomorrow

Options
  • 07-01-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up that there's a new 8 part series starting on Virgin One tomorrow night at 8.30pm following the work of MR and other rescue teams in Ireland and the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry, got a bit confused there, it's on TOMORROW night, i.e. Tuesday !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks for heads up, will watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was it any good?

unkel wrote:
    Was it any good?

I thought it was a bit 'meh'. Its only half an hour though so won't take you long to watch.

Kerry Mountain Rescue came across pretty well, but the show didn't really do anything for me.

I'll give it another go next week all the same.

It's on https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1600 for anyone who wants to watch it.

I thought it was OK myself, although the bit at the end on the Humber Estuary seemed like a bit of a filler more than anything.

I remember that rescue on the Reeks, it certainly was a dreadful day. I know Piaras so it was a bit odd seeing him on the telly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Alun wrote: »
    It's on https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1600 for anyone who wants to watch it.

I thought it was OK myself, although the bit at the end on the Humber Estuary seemed like a bit of a filler more than anything.

I remember that rescue on the Reeks, it certainly was a dreadful day. I know Piaras so it was a bit odd seeing him on the telly :)

Were they the two who were using Google Maps? I have a vague recollection of that...

Were they the two who were using Google Maps? I have a vague recollection of that...
    This is the callout information from KMRT ...

https://www.facebook.com/KerryMountainRescueTeam/posts/1460757877278352

and their own story ...

https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.menke/posts/10213245689318624

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't caught up with this yet. Did look at the KMRT FB page and in one report they mentioned personal locator beacons which I wasn't aware of.
    Carrauntoohil, 28th December 2018, Rescue of cragfast walker.
    A well-equipped solo walker became cragfast while descending the lower slopes of Carrauntoohil. Although there was no mobile phone signal present at the location, he was carrying a 406MHz personal locator beacon (PLB) which he activated. This transmitted a distress signal (along with co-ordinates) which was picked up by satellite and relayed initially to a co-ordination centre in Houston, Texas. They passed the details to MRSC Valentia, who in turn contacted Killarney Gardaí and KMRT were mobilised. The walker was quickly located and roped to safety in fading light.

Technology, eh?

Haven't caught up with this yet. Did look at the KMRT FB page and in one report they mentioned personal locator beacons which I wasn't aware of.
    They've been around for a while, even Garmin have one now, called InReach I believe.

They're popular with people who frequent really remote areas with no chance of mobile phone reception.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They've been around for a while, even Garmin have one now, called InReach I believe.

They're popular with people who frequent really remote areas with no chance of mobile phone reception.

Are they distinct from GPS handheld navigators? It seems you've to register them anyway.

• Advertisement

Are they distinct from GPS handheld navigators? It seems you've to register them anyway.
    Some are just simple beacons, some are beacons with a simple GPS receiver used only to transmit the location of the beacon, some, like Garmin's InReach series are full-on GPS navigation devices similar to their GPSMap series but with PLB functionality added.

With regard to communications, some are just emergency beacons and just need to be registered, others use satellite networks that also allow the sending of text messages, these require a subscription I believe.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

https://explore.garmin.com/en-IE/inreach/

By the way, I can't actually see the next episode on the EPG for next Tuesday. No idea what's going on there TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I carry plb with me.. Im new to hiking but have one for a few year attached in a waterproof canister that I bunge to my scuba tanks while scuba diving. It works world wide. If i leave the country I tell Falmouth CG where i am going in case of an activation. Look up findfast. mine is findfast 210. Registration is free and the battery lasts 5 years.

As regards the episode for 15th.. Its at the same time as the vote in uk so looks like they cancelled this episode in favour of the brexit vote.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

lochdara wrote:
    As regards the episode for 15th.. Its at the same time as the vote in uk so looks like they cancelled this episode in favour of the brexit vote.

Some things are unsavable.

Watched the first one last night. Credit to the Kerry MRT for their work in those conditions.

Can't see it on the EPG for this coming Tuesday either, something called Call the Cleaners on instead :confused:

Just tweeted Virgin Media One to ask what’s happening with the rest of the episodes, call the cleaners on again next week

Apparently they plan on putting it back on from 19th March onwards, although that's not 100% certain.

Edit: Confirmed by a contact from the production company that it'll restart on 19th March, with a few interruptions for Champions League football.

Apparently they plan on putting it back on from 19th March onwards, although that's not 100% certain.

Edit: Confirmed by a contact from the production company that it'll restart on 19th March, with a few interruptions for Champions League football.

Sound, cheers Alun

No sign of it anywhere on the schedule for 19th March or any time in the coming week for that matter. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement

ITV this evening. Restarting with episode 1

ITV this evening. Restarting with episode 1
    That's what it was billed as on the EPG, but when I watched it, it was in fact, episode 2. Episode 3 is on tonight.

That's what it was billed as on the EPG, but when I watched it, it was in fact, episode 2. Episode 3 is on tonight.

And episode one was last night.

Yes, no idea why they did that. Very confusing.

Advertisement