Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Netatmo only works with one zone. If you want a Nest to control more than one zone your house will need to be capable of having more than one zone, the Nest doesn't introduce that feature.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Netatmo only works with one zone. If you want a Nest to control more than one zone your house will need to be capable of having more than one zone, the Nest doesn't introduce that feature.

That is absolutely true for the moment. However note Netatmo is about to launch Smart Radiator Valves, which would allow it do something similar to multiple zones.

With the Smart Valves you will be able to control each room individually. Now that is slightly different to old fashioned two zones systems that some Irish homes have (usually two zones, one upstairs, one downstairs) but this system would actually be much more advanced, allowing you many "Zones".

Only thing is these valves haven't launched yet and no indication of cost. But something to keep an eye on if you are interested in such a system.

I have to say I'm impressed with the systems that Netatmo are building out. It seems very flexible and has lots of smart home support (Siri, Amazon Alexa, Apple Watch, etc.). Hopefully they will also eventually add hot water support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Smart valves sound great. Cheers for the info sounds perfect for my home anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Smart valves sound great. Cheers for the info sounds perfect for my home anyway.

Yup, but just note, if you already have a multizone system, you probably need to get a gas installer person to disable it if you move to a smart valve system like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Nest can do hot water and radiators separately, provided your system is capable of it

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    That is absolutely true for the moment. However note Netatmo is about to launch Smart Radiator Valves, which would allow it do something similar to multiple zones.

True, I stuck myself on the mailing list the other day to be notified when they're available to purchase. The starter pack I think only comes with 2 valves though so it might work out expensive to sort out a full house.
    ted1 wrote: »
    The Nest can do hot water and radiators separately, provided your system is capable of it

Yeah, I was saying that the Nest won't introduce multiple zones if they're not already in the house.

By the way, does anyone know if the Energia offer is still ongoing?

And leading on from that question, does the SEAI scheme apply to a person, or premises? We already availed of the Energia offer back in January but will eventually be moving so would like to get it again. I think it's per premises, but don't see an end date anymore on the website, but there was an end date at some stage earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Think it applies to the property.

I'm sure they'd be delighted to see repeat users of the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Multizone is likely to be rolled out here by Bord Gais with the Hive Thermostat system that they sell. It was developed by British Gas and also links into lights, security and plugs. Multizone is already available in the UK and should be coming here soon enough.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/hive-active-heating.html

https://www.hivehome.ie/how-to-buy

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Regarding hot water, what I do in my own house is have the hot water on a regular timeclock with the Netatmo looking after the heating.

Boiler comes on for half hour twice a day at 5:30am and 5:30pm to heat the water - this gives enough hot water to all showers and hot taps.

Actually, the timeclock and Netatmo are wired to zone valves, rather than directly to the boiler. These zone valves have an auxiliary switch which turn on the boiler only when the valve is open. If any valve is open, the boiler is on. If all valves are shut, the boiler is off.
    I ended up doing all the wiring for the heating system myself, the plumber and electrician were lacking expertise here, even though they provided proper motorized electric zone valves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Signed up to Energia Netamo service offer but never received a confirmation email. Has the same happened with you guys?

True, I stuck myself on the mailing list the other day to be notified when they're available to purchase. The starter pack I think only comes with 2 valves though so it might work out expensive to sort out a full house.

I don't expect it will be cheap. However if you can put them in yourself *, then I suspect it will be a lot cheaper then getting a gas installer in to wire in a much less sophisticated dual zone system.

* Replacing Thermostat Valves is really easy to do, anyone with even the most basic of DIY skills should be able to do it.

ThisRegard lets us know if you do decide to get these and how it goes. I will likely upgrade my thermostat to Netatmo. But living in an apartment, I don't really need a multizone system like this. However it would be very interesting for family. I hope Energia extend their deal to include these.

Yeah, I plan on doing it myself, as long as there's already thermostatic valves on the radiators. Might be a bit more complex if there's the old fashioned valves but there's 2 plumbers within the family anyway.

The replacement of the existing timer connected to the boiler is simple enough too [awaits someone to tell me that's it illegal] once the system itself is modern enough.

I'll let you know how it goes, when it actually happens.

The replacement of the existing timer connected to the boiler is simple enough too [awaits someone to tell me that's it illegal] once the system itself is modern enough.

Yeah, I replaced my two wire (thus no power) thermostat with a more basic wifi thermostat a few years ago. Netatmo looks like it would be a drop in replacement. Though I wouldn't mind trying setting it up in wireless mode, so I could move the thermostat to the living room, but that probably requires a gas boiler engineer.

It's actually very simple. You'll get a relay and the thermostat itself. So in most houses you'd have the traditional dial thermostat in the living room or somewhere, and then near the boiler itself you have the timer.

You set your existing thermostat to max, and replace the timer with the relay. You then have your relay communicate with the Netatmo thermostat and your router, so you can move the thermostat wherever you want. You current thermostat will be there, but you basically set it to always on, i.e. max, and the new relay and thermostat then step in and do the work.

A picture is always easier to describe something....

This is what we replaced with the Netatmo relay, so we then put the thermostat wherever we need it, usually one of the kids rooms.

flashtimmer.png

In the diagram below, the Relay is what used to be the timer above.

first.jpg?v=456

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

The Netatmo seems to take a different approach to the other ones like Nest, Tado etc. in that it replaces the timer instead of the actual existing Thermostats.

As far as I know for Nest you just swop out the existing thermostat and set your existing timer as on all the time but because it actually will only switch on once the Nest tells it to then you dont have to mess around with the existing timer hardware and is easier to setup?

You can replace the existing thermostat with the Netatmo too, but that method means it's not mobile. I think replacing the existing timer with the relay is pretty easy for a DIY job, couple of minutes maybe?

This page shows the 3 different methods of installation
    https://www.netatmo.com/product/energy/thermostat/installation/

You set your existing thermostat to max, and replace the timer with the relay. You then have your relay communicate with the Netatmo thermostat and your router, so you can move the thermostat wherever you want. You current thermostat will be there, but you basically set it to always on, i.e. max, and the new relay and thermostat then step in and do the work.

The Netatmo Relay has to be powered by the boilers relay wiring doesn't it?

Unfortunately my apartment isn't set up like that. No relay/timer, just a battery operated combined digital timer/thermostat in the hall that is weird by two control cables (non powered on/off) to the boiler *

The Netatmo can directly replace this thermostat, but then it isn't portable. In order to make it portable, in my case, the Netatmo relay I believe needs to be wired into the boiler. I assume that will require a gas engineer or electrician to do.

* I've already replaced it with a wifi enabled battery thermostat, but it lacks the more advanced features of Netatmo which I'd like to get.

Yeah, misunderstood you when you said you replaced your two wire, thus no power, timer.

Ah you can just replace the Thermostat with the Netatmo!

I take it just because this version for €99 is not apple homekit enabled does not mean that is cannot be voice controlled by an Amazon Echo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Quick question guys. Our house doesn't have a thermostat. the boiler is just on a timer. Will this work in that situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

reni10 wrote: »
    The Netatmo seems to take a different approach to the other ones like Nest, Tado etc. in that it replaces the timer instead of the actual existing Thermostats.

As far as I know for Nest you just swop out the existing thermostat and set your existing timer as on all the time but because it actually will only switch on once the Nest tells it to then you dont have to mess around with the existing timer hardware and is easier to setup?

It all depends on how lazy you are. Nest has its own wireless thermostat that talks to the heatlink/relay box.

By turning your existing thermostat to max you ate effectively removing it and just using the existing wiring , that's lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

OU812 wrote: »
    Quick question guys. Our house doesn't have a thermostat. the boiler is just on a timer. Will this work in that situation ?

Yes - will make a big improvement too

ted1 wrote: »
    It all depends on how lazy you are. Nest has its own wireless thermostat that talks to the heatlink/relay box.

By turning your existing thermostat to max you ate effectively removing it and just using the existing wiring , that's lazy

Not sure I understand what you are saying here?

The plan would be to replace my existing thermostat which is exactly how Nest also works I believe and you just set the timer to always on but as it is now actually controlled by the netatmo it means will only come on when the netatmo turns it on, what is lazy about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

This is a great bargain alert. Thanks a million OP. My system ordered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

There's a few diff ways to set this up lads. I didn't need a mobile thermostat as I have programmable TRVs on all rads (much cheaper than the Netatmo smart ones but they do the job for me). I have two other zones that i just programme with a timer (water and upstairs) but I just leave the downstairs zone set to constant /always on and replaced the dumb thermostat with the Netatmo. The netatmo thermostat then effectively has the control of that zone as the old timer/switch is always on.

I just grabbed a couple of these and hopefully they work with my Echo Dot!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

freyners wrote:
    Anyone know whats the story with bidding from other provinces for Bundee as a matter of interest. Was their a rule that provinces couldnt outbid each other for Irish talent but non-Irish was everyone for himself? Is that still in place? Would it apply to Bundee this time around?

Trying to figure out if this would work with my Gerkos Cosyman before pulling the trigger on this.

reni10 wrote: »
    I just grabbed a couple of these and hopefully they work with my Echo Dot!

Why more than one?

• Advertisement

Why more than one?

I have 3 zones on my current heating system, 1 zone is downstairs radiators, 1 is upstairs radiators and the third zone is hot water.
    So I need 2 thermostats to control both radiator zones...

Advertisement