Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Wifi Thermostat required with the Thermostat installed remotely

Options
  • 20-03-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just have a question about a thermostat.

I have an oil boiler with a timer located in the utility room which is not a thermostat. I would like to install a thermostat which is wifi controlled but the thermostat would have to be located in another part of the house.

What options do I have to have a remote thermostat and the controls for on/off being located in the utility room?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I'll attempt to throw my oar in here to help a bit, as i have a semi similar set up .

First to be clear, My set up is far from perfect, mostly due to the previous owner's wiring failings. but i'll cover that in a moment.

At a basic level, I have 1 motorised valve which heats the hot water tank it's controlled via a Sonoff Pow v2, and installed beside the tank i have a sonoff th16, with a Si7021 installed against the side of the tank, and covered with insulation + jacket.

I run Home assistant as my centralized control system, and have an automation that activates the Pow V2 when the Temp sensor reports 40 degrees, and powers off the valve when it hits 60 degrees ( this is the external temp, not the real internal water temp, it's over 65 at this point )

The caveat here is my oil boiler and main pump has constant power, so it runs and heats water once the temp drops in side the boiler. it's not a great design, and needs to be fixed.

The issue you must over come will be, how to active the boiler, and possibly a motorized valve based on the temp.

I should add, it's possible to also use inbuilt rules with sonoff devices to achieve the rules ( I assume) I have flashed all of mine with a separate firmware.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

NSAman wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just have a question about a thermostat.

I have an oil boiler with a timer located in the utility room which is not a thermostat. I would like to install a thermostat which is wifi controlled but the thermostat would have to be located in another part of the house.

What options do I have to have a remote thermostat and the controls for on/off being located in the utility room?

Cheers in advance

Most of them are like this.

I have the Netatmo thermostat, it's 2 part, a WiFi thermostat I leave in the hall and a relay that is fitted in the utility to turn on and off the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thanks for the above. I have seen wired thermostats but never one with a remote sensor ... must check out the information above. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

This is how Nest works. The "heat link" that comes with Nest will be in your utility room and connected to the boiler. The Nest thermostat itself will connect wirelessly to the heat link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

antix80 wrote: »
    This is how Nest works. The "heat link" that comes with Nest will be in your utility room and connected to the boiler. The Nest thermostat itself will connect wirelessly to the heat link.

Thanks for that, I have nest already here in the States and didn't realise that they have remote sensors now. This will solve the problem perfectly.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

NSAman wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I have nest already here in the States and didn't realise that they have remote sensors now. This will solve the problem perfectly.

The EU models can't be wired directly to the boiler. They come with the heat link.

Advertisement