Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of renovating kitchen

• 06-03-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We are looking to do up our kitchen.
    It is a very small kitchen and we are very confined on space, but we've designed a kitchen which will work for the small space (or at least I think I have using an online tool).
    Can anybody advise on (roughly) how much I should expect to pay for clearing out existing kitchen, removing and re-plastering ceiling (roughly 4mx3m), plywood and floor lino, and then the fitting of a small (and your bog standard off the shelf) kitchen, and lastly a creation of a vent through the wall to allow an extractor hood to be fitted over the oven?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

10k maybe
    Depends on what kitchen you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭bilbot79

8k really? For a small bog standard kitchen? Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I know someone getting a new kitchen which is quite small. It's L shape and 2.2m length and 1.6m width. It'll have four presses, three x 715mm overhead, an overhead fan hood and one press on the bottom, one set of drawers on the bottom, integrated oven, hob and undercounter fridge, price is about €3k fitted, excluding appliances. Not sure what your plastering, etc. will cost. Appliances coming in around €1k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I got my small kitchen done about 7 years ago as it is an awkward shape having 4 doors into garage,into utility room and back garden,into hallway and exterior extension so having very limited space.Kitchen was a dark place so went with white high gloss cabinets and overhead telescopic doors so no slicing off of hair if left open.2 x 2 black shiny floor tiles to help reflection when clean helps.I removed most of the old units intact and now out in shed,first time i got and used a hob but got a wider hood one fitted as other kinds of stuff can use used air fryer, pkp.
    Seating area consists of 2 stools in front of chimney breast which had an oil boiler long gone,narrow storage to the left and right and a deeper unit in the center of alcove.Planner said he would block off the 6 inches of height left under the chimney but i said no and used it for sat boxes for use with tv.Have you catered for enough power points and if including a dishwasher.Having my extractor done was a bit of a bitch as it had to go into garage and then up through roof.
    I think i easily spent 10k as quality stuff in use like miele oven and hob bought at a clearance sale.Sorry for long winded post but keep checking quality of products and the sales of kitchens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Kitchen renovation doesn't cost much if all of the installed stuff like cabinets, stove, and other electronic things are working well. In this situation, you only need to change the places of electronics, repaint the walls and kitchen furniture. During my stay to London, I got some kitchen paint service from UniSpray and they charged near about £60 for semi-gloss per square plus VAT. You can also see their pricing here to get an idea about kitchen paint according to your area. On the other hand, I don't think with you need to invest much in wall paint if you are skilled in painting. Otherwise, just get a spray gun and paint both walls and cabinet with your own. I also found this article and according to this average kitchen renovation price could be from £888 to £3000 for the UK residents.

• Advertisement

Depending on what you want done,normally kitchens are greasy places when using deep fat fryers or smoking will have contaminate the surfaces so a good cleaning or primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

A lot depends on the extent of your re-design.
    It sounds to me like different labour from many trades
    New plumbing
    New electrics
    New plastering
    New hole in wall for venting

Possibly
    Tiling (you really just sticking with lino?)
    Painting (or DIY job)

Then you need the

- skip/skip bag or basically disposal kitchen
    - clear out labour
    - kitchen shell
    - fitting labour
    - appliances (nearer 2k than 1k in my view)

Other things
    Any stone or marble for counters
    General higher quality finish
    Electrics - go for more spotlights, backlights etc
    Doors into kitchen, you happy with them? What about their frames?

Anyway ive written enough & it's near 9pm so I'll basically say get quotes & expect higher side of budgets mentioned ... Good luck

Normally with projects like this its you need skip bags or a skip = more money

I cut the costs as with a big drive i could sort rubbish into piles out there,metal near the gate makes it easier for the visitors to take away.Wood could be used for wood burners.Depending whats left might be put into rubbish sacks and to local dump if you have a bigger car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'You just sticking with lino?'

I just had a kitchen redone, among other things so I could have got the tiler on site to tile it if I had wanted. I didn't want. I prefer vinyl in a kitchen, its warmer and softer to stand on, its quiet, and anything gets dropped doesn't automatically break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Kitchen renovation doesn't cost much if all of the installed stuff like cabinets, stove, and other electronic things are working well. In this situation, you only need to change the places of electronics, repaint the walls and kitchen furniture. During my stay to London, I got some kitchen paint service from UniSpray and they charged near about £60 for semi-gloss per square plus VAT. You can also see their pricing here to get an idea about kitchen paint according to your area. On the other hand, I don't think with you need to invest much in wall paint if you are skilled in painting. Otherwise, just get a spray gun and paint both walls and cabinet with your own. I also found this article and according to this average kitchen renovation price could be from £888 to £3000 for the UK residents.

You’ll find that UK prices for trades and renovations are much lower than here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement