Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good mountains to climb in Kerry

Options
  • 15-02-2019 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi looking to find recommendation for mountains to climb in Kerry. Ones with good views from the top. I’m going there in March. I’m not an experienced hiker but did Croagh Patrick last year. For this reason I’d like to climb one that wouldn’t require a map or compass.
    Thanks

Comments

nails1 wrote: »
    Hi looking to find recommendation for mountains to climb in Kerry. Ones with good views from the top. I’m going there in March. I’m not an experienced hiker but did Croagh Patrick last year. For this reason I’d like to climb one that wouldn’t require a map or compass.
    Thanks

All mountains in Kerry should be approached with a map, compass and the practised ability to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

Like the other poster said, you really need to be able to navigate on the mountains as conditions can change in a short space of time. I was on Meelrea in Mayo last weekend and visibility went from a several miles to a couple of metres in minutes which can be pretty scary if you are not used to it.

There are some great walks in Kerry that don't involve height, anywhere in Killarney N.P is nice. The Old Kenmare road goes from Killarney to Kenmare through some fantastic scenery, takes 4-5 hrs.

There is a great walk from Lake Annascual across the Dingle peninsula that's worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

On the old kenmare road torc is an easy climb with fantastic views. 2 hrs from car park should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks

Glanteenassig Woods for you my boy, near Castlegregory.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks

If you're not going to use a map and compass, the Reeks in March might be risky, as would a lot of the higher ranges with bad weather always a possibility. The best views imo are usually from mountains at the end of peninsulas, Hungry Hill in Beara, Knocknadobar in Iveragh, Brandon or Mount Eagle in Dingle...but all liable to get very foggy, Brandon in particular. Torc, Purple Mountain and Mangerton (turn at Devil's Pumchbowl if too misty) are all a bit safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

torc mountain has sleepers all the way up so you cannot get lost!

Because Brandon is a pilgrimage site there is an obvious trail to the top probably safer to go from the west side the side near Brandon creek.

Caherconree has post markers all the way up to the Iron age fort. great views

there is a marked trail to the top of the mountain near Glenbeigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

JayZeus wrote: »
    All mountains in Kerry should be approached with a map, compass and the practised ability to use them.

Genuine question because I see this posted on all threads like this. What's the best way to learn and practise these skills? I've hiked all the popular Irish mountains but never had to lead myself or have people depend on me but I would truly love to learn those skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

Genuine question because I see this posted on all threads like this. What's the best way to learn and practise these skills? I've hiked all the popular Irish mountains but never had to lead myself or have people depend on me but I would truly love to learn those skills.

The easiest way is to walk with experienced walkers, or by joining a hill walking club.
    If the above doesn't suit you can always do a short course.
    https://www.mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/ClubTrainingAndMountainSkills/MountainSkillsTraining/

denismc wrote: »
    The easiest way is to walk with experienced walkers, or by joining a hill walking club.
    If the above doesn't suit you can always do a short course.
    https://www.mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/ClubTrainingAndMountainSkills/MountainSkillsTraining/

Fully agree.

The Mountain Skills course is well worth doing. There are plenty of great providers around the country and it's a really good way to equip yourself with a solid foundation skillset to bring into the hills, whether on your own, with family and friends or as part of an organised group. It's also a great social opportunity to meet others who are interested in getting out hillwalking and can lead to some long lasting friendships, regular trips at home and abroad. I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Thanks guys, I like the sound of the Mountain Skills course. Think I will bit the bullet and just go do it. Based in Kilkenny so probably looking at a Wicklow instructor. Any recommendations? (Sorry for thread hijack, feel free to PM!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement