Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SARPE Surgery

Options
  • 20-03-2019 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping I can get a couple of general questions answered here if possible.

I have a narrow upper palate which has caused crowding of my teeth. At 29 I've finally decided it's time to do what I can to have this corrected as far as possible.

I've gone for an initial consultation with an orthodontist who took a series of measurements, and suggested that the most likely course of action for me would be SARPE surgery. I had done a little bit of my own research beforehand and expected to be told as much. As far as I see it's the right course of action for my case, and am happy to go ahead with it.

Has anyone had any experience of this surgery in Ireland, as I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about it online for this country? I'll have to check with the Orthodontist of course at my next visit in a few weeks time, but I'd like to get a rough idea of the cost too if anyone knows?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Has anyone had any experience of this surgery in Ireland, as I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about it online for this country? I'll have to check with the Orthodontist of course at my next visit in a few weeks time, but I'd like to get a rough idea of the cost too if anyone knows?

Thanks!

Let me first state I just mod the forum I'm not a dentist.

My wife had this done about 10 years ago in mid-west regional (limerick), same issue narrow palate and lots of overcrowding. She got 2 teeth removed and then went for the surgery.

She was in for a couple of days afterwards, and had the expander in for a while, I had to "wind" it twice a day which for her was an interesting sensation. Cant remember how long she had it in for but one of the experts can probably advise.

she lost a lot of weight over the time she had it in and she didnt have much to spare in the first place. It left her looking pretty gaunt, but that was just down to a choice of not drinking veg smoothie after veg smoothie.

She's never looked back to be honest.

In terms of cost the surgery was covered by her healthcare provider (VHI) but the ortho work was at her own expense.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

She's never looked back to be honest.

Just what I was hoping to hear, alongside the honesty about the initial side effects.

Thanks for the reply, glad to know it's being successfully done in Ireland as it seems rare enough here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just what I was hoping to hear, alongside the honesty about the initial side effects.

Thanks for the reply, glad to know it's being successfully done in Ireland as it seems rare enough here.

yeah, again it was a long time ago, but the ortho my wife was using said there was only 2 guys doing in in Ireland at the time (Oral Surgeon who posts here can probably advise if there's more now). The ortho recommended this guy so we went down to visit.
    There was a bit of a wait (2-3 months i think) from initial appointment to the procedure.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

There are more and more cases of MARPE (Miniscrew or microimplant assisted rapid palatal expansion) being done now, which doesn't involve the surgical palatal suture split, but just the placement of four anchors in the palate and an appliance that is attached to them which is used to push the anchors gradually apart until the palatal suture separates. It sounds awful, but I'm told that patients one day hear a click or pop sound and all of a sudden can breathe through their nose. I don't know of anyone in Ireland using this approach, but it is gaining popularity in the US. My brother had SARPE and didn't find it too bad.

Advertisement