Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PTSB making it harder to dodge quarterly fees

Options
  • 31-01-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Got my letter today saying i need to keep 2500 in current account. This makes them closer coconut-wise to AIB, although at least there are no card payments/atm transaction fees still.

My question is... do Ulster Bank or KBC do better current account deals?

I know its €18, but i feel like this is the first step. A bank slowly uses less and less lube for customers who just take it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Ulster: https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/current-accounts.html
    KBC: https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account

I'm not old enough for KBC's Current Account Plus, but they gave it to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I will be moving if I get the letter, ( or threat to move)
    Fecking gougers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 st205hunter

I got the letter today too so on now looking for options on who to move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Got the letter there too, time to start looking around at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

With the KBC extra account you only need to lodge €2,500 a month. Don't need to keep that balance. KBC also works with Apple Pay, Android Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 st205hunter

Wheety wrote: »
    With the KBC extra account you only need to lodge €2,500 a month. Don't need to keep that balance. KBC also works with Apple Pay, Android Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.

Saw that but not sure how i feel about kbc these times. But aside from that i get just under that a month after property tax
    Ebs seem to offer transaction fee free banking too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is also the sum of all lodgements to the account for a month. e.g. 5 x €500 lodgements will satisfy the requirements for free banking. So, if you don't have enough coming into the account you can just set up a savings account and transfer money between the 2 accounts until you have over €2500 lodged into the current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

So annoyed with TSB, I just lodged a complaint for all the good it'll do. €2500 to maintain for free banking is excessive & €18 if under is hard to stomach. Plus they've reduced the already meagre interest rate to .01%. I have a regular savers account, I will now close both.
    So who offers free banking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's the most attractive account at the moment. They'll be losing 3 accounts from my house, mine, my wifes and the joint account, as much a pain in the arse it will be to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is there not scope for basic free banking on universal service obligation basis?
    Whilst €2500 a month lodged to miss fees isn't a huge amount, what about pensioners, welfare recipients and people on less than 30k a year net?

It is really telling that the less actual cash one has access to, the more they pay to access it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

banie01 wrote: »
    Is there not scope for basic free banking on universal service obligation basis?
    Whilst €2500 a month lodged to miss fees isn't a huge amount, what about pensioners, welfare recipients and people on less than 30k a year net?

It is really telling that the less actual cash one has access to, the more they pay to access it!

EBS and N26 have both got completely free banking. With KBC, even if you are on a very low wage you can still get free banking. €2500 has to be lodged into the account every month to maintain free banking but it doesn't have to be in one go. All lodgements into the account are added up and count towards the 2500 required for free banking. So you can just transfer in and out of the account over and over as much as you like until the total lodgements is over 2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

EBS and N26 have both got completely free banking. With KBC, even if you are on a very low wage you can still get free banking. €2500 has to be lodged into the account every month to maintain free banking but it doesn't have to be in one go. All lodgements into the account are added up and count towards the 2500 required for free banking. So you can just transfer in and out of the account over and over as much as you like until the total lodgements is over 2500.

I have N26 myself and use it quite a bit.
    My main thrust however is that given the reliance on and the move towards SEPA and Epayments means that bank accounts are essential even for the poorest now days.
    Aren't bank charges in this manner, basically a tax on poverty?

banie01 wrote: »
    I have N26 myself and use it quite a bit.
    My main thrust however is that given the reliance on and the move towards SEPA and Epayments means that bank accounts are essential even for the poorest now days.
    Aren't bank charges in this manner, basically a tax on poverty?

Only if they choose not to switch to a free banking alternative. There are 3 options for free banking in my post so it's not like there are no options. Kids, students, graduates and the elderly have many more options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Only if they choose not to switch to a free banking alternative. There are 3 options for free banking in my post so it's not like there are no options. Kids, students, graduates and the elderly have many more options.
    How's your experience been with KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭5star02707

wait so does this mean we have to transfer atleast 2500 per month OR have atleast 2500 balance in your account per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A balance of €2,500 is how I read it.

Keano wrote: »
    How's your experience been with KBC?

Overall I prefer them to PTSB. Their app is missing somethings such as direct debits not showing up but overall their app is miles better than PTSB. Being able to use the fingerprint reader to log in is very handy.

5star02707 wrote: »
    wait so does this mean we have to transfer atleast 2500 per month OR have atleast 2500 balance in your account per month?

PTSB - You have to maintain a balance of at least 2500 in the account.
    KBC - You have to transfer at least 2500 into the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭5star02707

PTSB - You have to maintain a balance of at least 2500 in the account.
    KBC - You have to transfer at least 2500 into the account.

Thanks for clearing up

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Looks like they are set to lose alot of customers. I've already started looking into KBC EXTRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

3 current accounts with them and a savings account
    Will be moving them all
    A quick google seems to show EBS as the best option
    Not many EBS branches around though but we may also be looking at a mortgage with themselves or AIB next autumn too ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I was in with TSB today, the Current explore account is 4 euro a month, but 10c bank on every card transaction made up to 5 euro per month, so you could actually make money on the explore.

I'm also with Sky, so getting 5% back from them too monthly.

I was in with TSB today, the Current explore account is 4 euro a month, but 10c bank on every card transaction made up to 5 euro per month, so you could actually make money on the explore.

You'd have to use your card 50 times a month though. That nearly twice every day. Would you use your card that often? I know, between my credit card and debit card, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Revolut is also basically a current account these days, costs nothing and doesn't screw you on conversion rates (always Interbank fees).

Where I've been most impressed is, that lets say I transfer money from Permanent TSB before mid day (via SEPA), the money will be credited to my Revolut account at approx 4pm the same day.

The only question, that's not quite clear, is how that's going to look after Brexit with them being in the UK.

They charge for ATM withdrawels, but only a percentage based on what you withdraw up to the 5 EUR/year, that is the levy.

N26 charges the 5 EUR/year levy in one go. PTSB charge you 10 EUR/year for that same thing and call that debit card levy.

But the KBC account seems to be the best of the options above, if Revolut is not an option.

/M

PTSB have an explore account where they charge €4 per month in fees, but you get back money every time you use your card to pay for anything...up to a max of a fiver per month. I've only ever missed the max three times in the last year and got €58.70 out of €60 (with €48 on charges), so a free tenner.

In case anyone is looking to chage: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/everyday-banking/current-accounts/current-account/explore-welcome-page/

*I just noticed you can register for a circle K fuel card with money of juice for the car as well. I'll be getting one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I switched from PTSB to KBC last year as this was flagged then.

The KBC app is better but there are a couple of annoyances. The biggest one for me is that they still send statements by post to comply with something or other. It's not internet banking if they're posting paper statements every quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You'd have to use your card 50 times a month though. That nearly twice every day. Would you use your card that often? I know, between my credit card and debit card, I don't.

I wouldnt be far off 40 times a month right now, and I'll easily make up the extra few transactions if it means I'm saving money

edit, I actually set up a joint account today, so with 2 cards using it, I'll easily go over 50 a month

Not just in-store, but any online purchases as well. I'm convinced when i signed up as well that it was more than 10c per go, I thought it was 30c each time. I'll check tomorrow when the new month begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

PTSB have an explore account where they charge €4 per month in fees, but you get back money every time you use your card to pay for anything...up to a max of a fiver per month. I've only ever missed the max three times in the last year and got €58.70 out of €60 (with €48 on charges), so a free tenner.

In case anyone is looking to chage: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/everyday-banking/current-accounts/current-account/explore-welcome-page/

*I just noticed you can register for a circle K fuel card with money of juice for the car as well. I'll be getting one of them.
    I’ll switch to taht in April so then prob move banks next autumn
    Will I keep my same account numbers etc if I move to the explore one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

How much of a pain is it to switch banks? Have to get onto to HR and change where wages go, switch direct debits and all that jazz.

I've had free banking since 2006 with ptsb and have a savings account and current so never switched banks before.

Advertisement