Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder will there still be advertising under the new system. If there is RTE could justify 2FM and other populist stuff by saying they are self-financing (or nearly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,512 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Youth station or not, isn't there enough pointless bloody talk on Irish radio already?

Nothing wrong with having stations that just play music - no talk, news, weather, inane chat, or tokenistic Irish, just play the music. Anyone who wants the other things has plenty of other options to get them.

It seems attitudes among the powers that be haven't changed from 40+ years ago when it was somehow seen as immoral that pirates were playing "mindless pop music" all day and corrupting the nation... I thought broadcasting had moved on a bit from the days of Lord Reith but maybe I was wrong.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't mean to go through a list but in the height of the worst historical recession of the late 1980s to the early 1990s... and on up to around 2008

RTÉ ONE (Studio programming)

• Morning News Bulletins
    • News 1pm, 6pm, 9pm
    • Afternoon News Bulletins (inc. News for the Deaf)
    • An Afternoon Show (Live at Three now Today now from Cork)
    • TLLS/Kenny Live
    • Current Affairs shows e.g. Prime Time/Today Tonight (I think they have drop one, Marketplace)
    • A number of mid-week chatshows (Bibi, Lime Light and so on)
    • Live Saturday Morning Children's Programming up to 1998
    • Mass (You can't beat a good mass)/Service
    • and not mention before Glenroe and Fair City (3 eps per week but with a break)
    • Lotto Shows e.g. Winning Streak later Telly Bingo (which was a quiz show at one stage???)
    • Garda Patrol/Crimecall
    • Mailbag/Week in Review
    • Saturday night family programmes

RTÉ2

• 30 mins of Live The Den at least (growing from 1998 with intro of mornings and TTV etc)
    • Jo Maxi (later echo island and others into around 2008)
    • Curasí (Daily Irish current affairs programme)
    • Nighthawks/Later on 2/Jerry Ryan Tonight
    • News 2/Network News/News On 2
    • Evening News Bulletin
    • An Nuacht
    • The Beat Box / 2TV
    • Sports Stadium
    • Live Sports/A range of weekly sporting highlight shows

Now

RTÉ ONE

• RTÉ NEWS 1pm, 6pm, 9pm
    • Nuacht RTÉ le TG4
    • Today
    • Current Affairs shows (minus Marketplace)
    • Crimecall
    • Mass/Service
    • TLLS and/or Angela Asks/Tiernan
    • Crimecall
    • Lotto Programming
    • Fair City (4 eps)

RTÉ2

• News2Day
    • Live Sports
    • Sports highlight programming

• also TG4 light entertainment programming

I just wonder how they did it in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The crazy wages and competition from the other channels is probably the main reason. That and you've got access to free entertainment on youtube, on a scale you've never had before.

Gay Byrne, for example, despite earning over a million viewers per night each night the Late Late Show was on, and earning another 1 million + for the early runs of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, never got the kind of money his successor's got. Notice how, when he retired, the license fee increased quite a bit.

(Scroll down to see the license fee table showing the increase, year by year).

From 1986, to 1996, the license fee was the same cost, and only underwent a relatively minor increase in 1996. (It increased by £8. Roughly ten euro.) Then from 2001, to 2008, it increased annually. 2002 to 2003 saw a HUGE increase (imo) of the fee going from €107 to €150. €43 euros of an increase.

When the economy went belly up in 2008,the license fee was never increased after that. Tho in 2024, it will undergo a 'broadcasting charge' or some crud.

@RabbleRouser2k Ray Burke refused to increase the license fee, he also capped their advertising revenue. He'd hoped that that revenue would go to the new local radio stations, the new national radio and TV station. Mostly it went north to UTV as TV3 failed to get of the ground until 1998.

Should RTÉ stop advertising on TV all most all revenue will head towards Sky, Channel 4, Viacom, UKTV, with Virgin Media TV seeing no increase in revenue.

M. D. Higgins began increasing the license fee to off set the cost of setting up TG4 by RTÉ in 1996. After that it increase almost every year, until the downturn.

At least Burke and Higgins had plans and ideas, weather they were to hurt RTÉ or to create TG4 and Indo TV and Radio.

Their successors sat on their hands and really cause far more damage than Burke could have ever imagined, though helped by a lazy RTÉ.

Well we all know what Burke was up to.

From the wiki article mentioned above:

Century Radio, Ireland's first licensed national solely private-sector broadcaster, began broadcasting in 1990. Minister Ray Burke proposed allocating 25% of the television licence revenues to private-sector broadcasters. The government rejected this, but agreed instead to cap RTÉ's advertising income. A tribunal of enquiry later established that Oliver Barry, an investor in Century Radio, had given Burke a political donation of £30,000. The advertising cap was lifted in 1993.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And all this only came to light after Bertie carried out an exhaustive search of every tree in North Dublin only to find nothing on his friend Ray, Bertie who seems to be making a bit of a comeback accross the airwaves these days only ever saw what he wanted to see

As one person noted about Bertie, he hid behind women. Remember when he funnelled cash into Celia's bank account and beautician business, and Cecelia Ahern's bank account, and Georgia's too, I believe?

https://www.thejournal.ie/mahon-tribunal-ahern-3972899-Apr2018/

Bertie was (more than likely) taking money too. I'd say there wasn't a clean politician during that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say there wasn't a clean politician during that era.

I'd say that's an exaggeration.

• Advertisement

Wasn't a clean FFer - now that'd be plausible...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The ads that 2fm play for their breakfast show are absolutely embarrassing. If you had to put up with that nonsense in a public place you'd be moving away from the people behaving like that fairly quickly.

Also their "sound of the nation" nonsense audio beds they play are like something a person in their 50s thinks young people will find cool, while actually being woefully out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I supose there are parts of Ireland where you can't pick up many radio stations, your only choice is RTE or local radio, not everyone lives in the Nova Belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Has anyone bitten the bullet an watched Nicky Byrne's show, or that Angela Scanlan chatshow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This was posted in the LL thread c/o (KevRossi)

RTE running scared me thinks.

• Advertisement

The Byrne one is genuinely terrible. A karaoke show. That guy must have incriminating pictures of someone within RTE. There is no demand for that type of show.

Scanlon one was just a bit "meh" I felt. I think a for a show which has had such a long lead in, it seemed to be struggling for things to talk about with the guests. I only watched up to about halfway through the Sharon Corr interview and then switched off.

Every area of Ireland is covered by both Today FM and a Regional Pop station (iRadio, Beat and Spin), while Nova's sister station Classic Hits is available in many parts of the country.

I would disagree with getting rid of 2FM but it was never supposed to get funding from the license fee, going back to its early days. I don't see why 2FM couldn't have cut their income along their commercial lines, particular considering that 2FM News and Sport is provided by RTÉ.

I still don't see how Game On fits in 2FM as a yuff music station, move it to Radio One Extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Brendan o Carroll, Padraig Harington and Christy Dignam on the LL tonight... How many times a year are they on? 🤔

Brendan is on following Mrs Brown's Boys LIVE 🙄 and to talk about his new sit-com set in an Irish peacekeeping camp featuring this family!

Saw people talking about how the Late Late Show was pushed back to accommodate Mrs Brown, Live.

In it's Heyday, that would be unthinkable. Nothing short of The 10 Plagues would have pushed the LLS back. Tells you a lot about the current state of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah yes.

lets pause the kids/family movie with half an hour to go to go live to this weeks live lotto draw, so as the kids all get to understand gambling.

Pr1cks.

Absolute fcuking pr1cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A few decades back RTE screened the '60s movie Cul de Sac one morning for kids. They thought black and white means ok for children.

I thought the 'supervet' guy was on on Friday night to share the joyful news about his dog passing over after 14years???? Has the 'highly talented' Kathryn Thomas been on yet this year????...... I really need to know where 'me,ellie& the belly' went in a campervan & how work on her kitchen is progressing

She dropped another sprog, so she'll be off the TV for a while now.

She's been absolutely abhorrent during these Covid times. Using every opportunity to promote herself, her sprog, and her other sprog (before it was even born).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And she had Noel Kelly in the Labour ward taking photos to share with the nation!

With filters, photoshop, and a whole slew of people behind the scenes making sure that her whole family looked 'totes amazing'.

Sure they probably had a more 'photogenic' baby on backup, just in case her one looked ugly.

The auctioneer from Portmarnick???????? Why????? Has he got a really good camera?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you want to see how high wages are used in rte, I would advise you to listen back to the News at One today, just for the first few minutes.

We had Brian Dobson tell us the top story about covid numbers and how the vaccination programme was keeping deaths etc down.

He handed over to Brian Jennings to read out the News headlines. Brian then more or less tells us word for word what Brian just did, maybe adding an extra sentence or so.

He then hands over to Fergal Bowers, who then tells us exactly what Brian, and Brian before him, just told us. Of course adding a couple more lines to justify his wages.

Just checked the mailbox.......theres my annual invoice/ tax demand for €160!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you suggesting I'm not getting brilliant value for money???????

NK sells top personalities to RTÉ even when people don't want them... much like the other Noel selling houses in Portmarnock!

• Advertisement

So, good ol Dee Forbes got an invite to the P.A.C. to have a chat about some very dodgy accounting practises in Montrose.

Sorry guys, can't make it, I'm very busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant........ you really couldn't make this stuff up..........if you saw this carry on in a movie you'd switch off

I read that as North Korea for a sec. Montrose and Pyongyang are kinda similar though when you think about it

Scrap the cap!

George Lee must have the house flooded with tears missing all the COP26 doomfest

I actually voted for that Muppet to get into the Dail....... 20minutes later he ran back to Montrose/ mothership with tail wedged between legs..... that was a waste of a vote!!!!

Anyone fancy a couple of disgusting reads?

WARNING: Keep a large non-corrosive container close by.

I see North Korea mentioned above...a bit closer to Sicily I think

"Not that he's doing too badly at the moment. I'd have thought that he'd be on a 15pc to 20pc commission per client. That would be the industry norm." said another Dublin talent management agent.

15-20% commission! Nice money if you can get it eh. So we (the taxpayer) facilitated by RTE, are making this guy and his family multimillionaires. That's pretty serious stuff when you give it a bit of thought. People giving out (rightly so) about the fees paid to the eh..'talent' and here's this guy beavering away in the background making an absolute fortune.

When Forbes advisers/legals eventually tell her she can't hide from the PAC any more, I hope they tear her to bits.

Oh yeah, the same Forbes that decided to stay on as DG for another couple of years post her 5 year contract. How does the possibility to do that even exist. It's infuriating.

Forbes was always going to get the extra 2 years. No Minister was ever going to say no to the first woman DG. Lets face it Chairperson Moya Doherty only signed up for 3 years... saying at the time she would only do it for 3 years, her 3 years came to an end and she took on a second 5 year term as Chairperson. (BTW Forbes and Doherty have done just as well their male predecessors Noel Curran (Now DG of the EBU) and the late Tom Savage (Terry Prone's husband).

Also AFAIK the Oireachtas committees have no power to compel someone to attend a meeting.

I am not sure if RTÉ originally agreed and then pulled out, which I think is bad form. Though its bad form all round.

"Bad form" is a bit of an understatement???????

" Bad form" is like offering someone a coffee & then saying " oh, I forgot to get milk in the shop".

Getting a HUGE WEDGE€€€ of taxpayers money & then just deciding I'm 'too busy' to bother going in & defending some very 'iffy' accounting practises ....id say that's well past the point of 'bad form'

Wow your very serious about a white coffee :)

It's the same for all Semi-state bodies the Oireactas Committee cannot compel people to attend hearings.

But don't worry the Committees always have milk for coffee... indeed possible have some biscuits also... you'd think that would be enough to get people to attend!

If Forbes keeps on avoiding or declines to appear before the PAC, she'll be keeping some lovely company:-

Sean Fitzpatrick (good ol Seany)

Peter Robinson NI - DUP (re Project Eagle)

Kathrine Zappone (princess pushy)

John Delaney (well, he did turn up but basically told them to fo)

to name but a few....

Not a great look at all Dee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

tg4 once had south park on at 6pm in the evening, i dunno what they were saying, it was in irish, but FFS, south park on at any time within an asses roar of the watershed time is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

like dubbed?

ó mo dhia mharaigh siad kenny!😜

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

yeah, in irish, dunno what was going on or being said. oddest thing i ever saw, it was a good few years ago now. i emailed them(rte) asking "WTF are ye nuts? this is a hard 18 show on at tea time ?" didn't get a reply, but i didn't see it on again when i checked back a while later

TG4 are not RTÉ. In their earlier years they were a subsidiary until around 2000 ? or maybe a little later, but even then they were separate with separate funding. The only connection TG4 has with RTÉ is News, RTÉ also provide them with 1hr of programming a day (including news). But otherwise RTÉ and TG4 are 2 separate semi-state bodies... but then info@rte.ie don't reply in any case.

It was the sanitized version and in all honesty Tellytubbies were far scarier

And it was edited to hell... and they got that plonker Des Bishop to voice Chef.

A waste of money. No wonder they're showing The Wonder Years, Murder She Wrote, Little House on the Prairie, and Dr Quinn: Medicine Woman nowadays.

They're dinosaurs. Not adapting to the modern age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can just imagine TG4 staff poring over their dictionaries looking for swear words, not realising that those got purged by the Gaelic League back in the 1920s. Profanity in our holy, immaculate teanga? Oh God no, shure that mongrel tongue Béarla has that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Actually TG4 are showing some good stuff at the moment.

Next time you are flicking channels give them a try you might be surprised.

For instance the film tonight is Doubt starring Meryl Streep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I am **** sick to my back teeth of RTE using the staff as fillers, today Pablo Ryans daughter Lotto was on Jennifers Zapp **** show descussing her and her sisters drug spiking incedent from years ago

Claire Byrne has Bob and Renne of Fair City "fame" on talking about EV cars, these two where also on this year getting the jab

I have a hard time watching Philip Seymour Hoffman movies. He was a great actor, but his passing (and the circumstances around it) makes it harder to watch his movies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement