Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple way of ending your UPC contract if you want to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

How long to you get to cancel out of interest? Like If I dont cancel within say, a month, is it assumed I have accepted these new terms? Or can I cancel at any point over the life of the contract as the initial terms have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

CiaranC wrote: »
    How long to you get to cancel out of interest? Like If I dont cancel within say, a month, is it assumed I have accepted these new terms? Or can I cancel at any point over the life of the contract as the initial terms have changed?

Taken from this page on the UPC website:
    "UPC’s Broadband and Phone services remain excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of 3 December 2010 without penalty if you do not agree with these price changes. Continued use of the services after this date is deemed to be acceptance of the changes."

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Just rang up there and they said it wasn't possible. She said she has to consult her team leader and has arranged for a call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

They have to continue offering you the same package at the same price or it's a breach of contract.

Smart tried to do a smiler thing , offering a "faster speed for free*" but you lost your "Free Line Rental for Life" since it would be on a new contract.

Also they CAN NOT modify the contact after you have entered it EVEN if it states in the contact that they can......

There are some legal rights you can;t sign away.
    Taken from this page on the UPC website:
    "UPC’s Broadband and Phone services remain excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of 3 December 2010 without penalty if you do not agree with these price changes. Continued use of the services after this date is deemed to be acceptance of the changes."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Cheers for that, just sent them an email

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I recently arranged a price reduction with UPC through their customer loyalty team. I said that I could no longer afford the price I was paying so they gave me some good reductions to stay with them.

I had to sign a new 12 month contract - surely they have no right to change the terms of that contract in the same way as I have no right to cancel without penalty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I did this years ago. NTL as it was then put up their price on the package by €2, phoned up customer service, quoted the relevant terms stating that I could quit 12 month contract without penalty. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Can you end the contract but keep the service?? From their website it says you cancel or downgrade the service.. I want to keep the service but just cancel the 12mth contract if possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

unklerosco wrote: »
    Can you end the contract but keep the service?? From their website it says you cancel or downgrade the service.. I want to keep the service but just cancel the 12mth contract if possible..

I think canceling your contact is canceling your service, right? prove me wrong kids...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

'tis alright.

The only way to not be bound by the 12month contract and be free to cancel anytime (with 30 days notice) is after having the service for 12 months, or a change in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭stoves1

i am on a upc package for past 6months wish to go back to sky as tv services far superior and user friendly, fatcheese.ie have a good sky casback offer ending tonight would like to get sky under wifes name with fatcheese and then say cancel upc (without penalties) early jan do you think this is viable with this upc price increase? advice pls:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

grizzly wrote: »
    I think canceling your contact is canceling your service, right? prove me wrong kids...

I could have sworn there was a similar thing with 02 or meteor where you could cancel the contract but keep the service. As in if you have 10 months left on ur contract you could get out of that but still keep the service and you're free to cancel at any stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Yeah. O2 was same and you could cancel contract, but remain a customer
    Only thing that changes is you can walk away any time you like (IF you choose to)

Must check out the equivalent sky deal for the sports/tv pack

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Hi just a couple of questions on this. Not all products I have with UPC seem to have been increased (30mb BB?). Would I be able to cancel my whole contract with them? Or only those elements where there is a price change? (phone and tv)

Oops that's only one question :-)

Thanks

Does this affect the student packages? I can't even find the deals on their website anymore so I can't check if they've changed their pricing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Poor show from UPC. Time to make some cuts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

havana wrote: »
    Hi just a couple of questions on this. Not all products I have with UPC seem to have been increased (30mb BB?). Would I be able to cancel my whole contract with them? Or only those elements where there is a price change? (phone and tv)

Oops that's only one question :-)

Thanks
    from http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/

however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of 3 December 2010 without penalty if you do not agree with these price changes.

I think this means you can downgrade without paying the downgrade cost. So just keep the broadband and downgrade tv to nothing :)

Advertisement