Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The word "pussy" as in, "don't be a pussy" comes from the word "pusillanimous", which means "showing a lack of courage or determination".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The sum of all the numbers on a roulette wheel is 666

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Fibonacci sequence is a relatively good mile to km converter.

The sequence is made by adding the last two numbers together to make the next one

So 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233 and so on is how the sequence works.

2 miles is 3.2km
    3 miles is 4.8km
    5 miles is 8km
    8 miles is 12.8km

And so on, it gets less accurate as you go on, but stays pretty okay, so 233 miles is 375km, just 2km off the sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You can't actually see John Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's just the tip of the iceberg. It is also illegal in Britain to:

Be drunk or, as a landlord allow drunkeness, in a pub.

Carry a plank on a pavement.

Enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour.

Beat a rug or carpet on the street.

Handle salmon in suspicious circumstances.

Ride on a bus if you have the plague.

Import potatoes which are known or suspected to be Polish.

I don't think there were such things as buses when the plague was around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Fibonacci sequence is a relatively good ...

...as nature's own code, it's present in everything from flowers, shells to spiral galaxies. It can even appear on stock market pattern fluctuations. I use some of the sequence as my lucky lotto numbers.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_25_at_15_35_17.pngScreen_Shot_2017_01_25_at_15_35_34.png

Most people when asked to place two candles on a mantelpiece, will place them in a position that reflects this 'golden mean'. Those that just put the pair on one single edge are broken, and best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up Scotty". He said "Scotty, beam me up".

"If you build it, they will come" was never said in Field Of Dreams (it was "he will come").

The Apollo 13 crew never said "Houston, we have a problem". It was "we've had a problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

...as nature's own code, it's present in everything from flowers, shells to spiral galaxies. It can even appear on stock market pattern fluctuations. I use some of the sequence as my lucky lotto numbers.

Most people when asked to place two candles on a mantelpiece, will place them in a position that reflects this 'golden mean'. Those that just put the pair on one single edge are broken, and best avoided.

CX8eZI5WMAAFpgv.jpg

Greek temples and pinecones are shaped using it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jiltloop wrote: »
    I don't think there were such things as buses when the plague was around.

We kid thee not. Under the UK Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, "no person who is known to be suffering from a notifiable disease (including plague) may enter a public conveyance without notifying the driver of the condition". The same statute forbids a bus driver from carrying such a person at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

New York City is closer to the equator than Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Most maps we use are way off scale the further north/south of the equator you go, because we can't properly depict a sphere on a flat piece of paper. Greenland and Africa are a good example

Greenland-vs-Africa-on-a-FLAT-map.png

The Greenland superimposed on Africa is its actual size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Most maps we use are way off scale the further north/south of the equator you go, because we can't properly depict a sphere on a flat piece of paper. Greenland and Africa are a good example

Another one is that maps suggests that Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size of all Scandinavian countries put together.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Greenland-vs-Africa-on-a-FLAT-map.png

It's actual size? :D

Winterlong wrote: »
    Another one is that maps suggests that Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size of all Scandinavian countries put together.

Yes, the Mercator Projection, pretty much the standard World map since around 1570. It's importance stems from maritime navigation, because it goes out of it's way to keep lines of latitude and longitude straight and perpendicular. A side-effect of this is more and more distortion going from the Equator to the poles. A Gall–Peters projection preserves proper scale, but is weird-looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's actual size? :D

I'm slightly confused now

Are you grammaring me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Oreos existed before sliced bread.

The Cherokee word for lawyer is "ditiyohihi", which translates literally in their polysynthetic language as "he argues repeatedly and on purpose with a purpose".

Many of you will remember the polite titters in 1963 when John Fitzgerald Kennedy accidentally described himself as a jam doughnut. At least, he would have done if he was in Munich, where the word Berliner is actually used for doughnuts. In Berlin the word used is Pfannkuchen and JFK was quite correct. When the crowd laughed, it was after Kennedy said "I appreciate my interpreter translating my German.".

Finally this afternoon, this is the River Goul between Tipperary and Kilkenny:

johnstown-river-goul-2_resize_resize.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Goul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

sharpey85 wrote: »
    Johnny Cash was the first American to know that Stalin had died. Due to his role in the military being to intercept Russian Morse code.

Aye and transmission notifying Moscow of the first ever flight of a Russian jet bomber was also intercepted by Cash. Quite something.

Country music today is sorely lacking a Cash character. He was a one off it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cina wrote: »
    New York City is closer to the equator than Rome.

Jaysus - my picture of the world is way wrong!

Not only is new York closer (which I didn't believe!) but is actually less than half the distance Rome is.
    New York is 4500 km Rome is more than 10,000km :eek::eek:

I must be picturing the world at about a 45 degree tilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Your Face wrote: »
    You can't actually see John Cena.

Chuck norris can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jaysus - my picture of the world is way wrong!

Not only is new York closer (which I didn't believe!) but is actually less than half the distance Rome is.
    New York is 4500 km Rome is more than 10,000km :eek::eek:

I must be picturing the world at about a 45 degree tilt!

I think you need to redo your maths. New York is at 40 degrees latitude, Rome is at 41 degrees. the difference is only about 100KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Cina wrote: »
    Oreos existed before sliced bread.

Betty White of The Golden Girls fame was born prior to bread being sold in slices commercially.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Betty White of The Golden Girls fame was born prior to bread being sold in slices commercially.

Wonder Bread, the American Pat the Baker, began only seven years before Mr. Otto Frederick Rohwedder stunned the world by mechanically slicing a whole loaf at a time to perfect uniform thickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was at the beginning of "The Fresh Prince"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do the NCT keep your hubcaps?? They took mine off for the test, and I only noticed when I got home that my 4 hubcaps are not there anymore. Arent they supposed to put them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Everyone has a unique tongue print, just like fingerprints.

Female kangeroos have three vaginas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pancake batter smells like jizz :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Do the NCT keep your hubcaps?? They took mine off for the test, and I only noticed when I got home that my 4 hubcaps are not there anymore. Arent they supposed to put them back?

You're supposed to remove the hubcaps if the wheel nuts are not visible. They csn fail you for not doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ireland has the lowest number of reported UFO sightings in the world!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement