Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2020, 15:50   #16
Supercell
Happy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdoit2morrow View Post
How is it running kodi?

I have a RPi3 which is OK, but would love something a bit snappier without too much investment.
Surprisingly well I have to say, snappy with little lag and no lipsynch issues so far. Pressing the NetflixKodi button on the remote powers up the tv and launches kodi, brillo!
I was running CoreElec on a Play two off its NAND and it has been struggling lately as in hangs for ages when navigating between movies and tv as my collection has gotten large. All are on a NAS NFS share on raid 5 which isn't skipping a beat.
Kodi on this little gizmo is perfect, have scanned everything on the NAS into its library and no issues.
Binge watching this weekend to finally finish off Agents of Shield to see how the lipsynch holds up as that on some devices drove me insane. All my stuff is 1080p FWIW.

I really like Youtube too on it, one button launch and power up. I have an ahem Indian Premium sub to that so no ads on it, the interface is beautiful, i really missed having that in Kodi on the Play before due to the api issue.
The youtube is very nicely laid out, there an interesting Youtube videos section which has documentatores there, Iron Man (Robert Downey jr) has one there on on AI, earmarked to that to watch this weekend too.

All in a total steal for what you are paying.

Last edited by Supercell; 16-10-2020 at 15:56.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 15:51   #17
ReginaldSmythV

Anyone just using it as normal? What’s the interface like compared to what’s on a Shield?
17-10-2020, 13:17   #18
DoubleJoe7

Thinking of this as a possible upgrade on my MiBox in our spare room, Stadia support in Q1 2021 is a big plus for me.

Just wondering, does it support a Now TV app? I know i can cast to it but would rather have an app on the device rather than cast to it.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 13:23   #19
DopeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJoe7 View Post
Thinking of this as a possible upgrade on my MiBox in our spare room, Stadia support in Q1 2021 is a big plus for me.

Just wondering, does it support a Now TV app? I know i can cast to it but would rather have an app on the device rather than cast to it.
It'll be the exact same as Android TV OS on your Mibox no? If it's not on the mi box then it won't be on the chromecast.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 13:28   #20
Supercell
Happy :)

The only downside to this box is that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Noticed action scenes on a tv show i had downloaded were a bit blurry and thought something was off - played fine on my Play 2 box, checked the Kodi forum and confirmed that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Tbh maybe not a show stopper for some i suppose but its a shame as the hardware supports it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 13:33   #21
Nowso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
The only downside to this box is that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Noticed action scenes on a tv show i had downloaded were a bit blurry and thought something was off - played fine on my Play 2 box, checked the Kodi forum and confirmed that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Tbh maybe not a show stopper for some i suppose but its a shame as the hardware supports it.
auto display rate does help

the Picture quality is v good
17-10-2020, 13:36   #22
Nowso

Quote:

ive switched to this from my mi box - its a lil different

Picture quality better
some players work better some worse on stb vlc is great
play store is behind the launcher app and not on google tv menu

can be a small bit slower to load up but plays good

im happy enough with it
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2020, 13:55   #23
Nowso

ethernet adapter available also

https://store.google.com/ie/product/...for_chromecast
17-10-2020, 15:51   #24
Username here

Can these be plugged into a HDMI port on the back of an AV receiver, to get the benefit of your speaker setup, rather than the audio being output by the TVs inferior speakers? Thanks.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 18:09   #25
/\/ollog

Send a message via AIM to /\/ollog Send a message via Skype™ to /\/ollog
Quote:

I read it didn't work a few days ago and they have since took it off the store on the box. Likely they're working to fix it, it'd be a strange product not to support.
18-10-2020, 15:15   #26
pizzahead77

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\/ollog View Post
I read it didn't work a few days ago and they have since took it off the store on the box. Likely they're working to fix it, it'd be a strange product not to support.
Interestingly, tthe Play Store shows that the NOW TV app is compatible with my Sony Android TV but not my nVidia Shield
19-10-2020, 10:02   #27
ULMarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowso View Post
The new Chromecast uses a type C connection. So you'd need this one.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/..._adapter_gen_2

Could probably also use a a micro B to C adapter though if anyone has an ethernet adapter already.

Last edited by ULMarc; 19-10-2020 at 10:05.
Thanks from:
19-10-2020, 10:54   #28
Nowso

https://store.google.com/ie/product/..._adapter_gen_2

ahh thats the one i thought i was linking up
Thanks from:
19-10-2020, 11:59   #29
emanresu123

Anyone else missing the "For you", "Movies", "Shows" tabs?

All I'm seeing is "Search" , "Home" , "Apps", & "Library"
19-10-2020, 20:56   #30
EagererBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu123 View Post
Anyone else missing the "For you", "Movies", "Shows" tabs?

All I'm seeing is "Search" , "Home" , "Apps", & "Library"
That's my one too, appears to be the European implementation.

I like it so far, but Channel 4 really need to sort out an app to match their Fire OS one.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion