Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2020, 08:05   #1
Tec Diver

Send a message via Skype™ to Tec Diver
Google Play Music retiring, advice

Hi all,
I got a notification on my phone that Google Play Music will be going away later this year, to be replaced by YouTube Music. I managed to synchronise my songs with YouTube Music, but when I was using it it kept filling the gaps between the songs I already own with ads!
The Play store has now been closed for buying music, so recently I had to purchase and download an album to my laptop from iTunes and copy it to the phone.

Any recommendations for an Android app that will replace Play Music and that has no ads? (I may be asking too much these days - wanting to listen to the music I paid for ad free!)

TIA
Eoin
Advertisement
15-10-2020, 08:23   #2
flazio

Well, there's Spotify. €9.99 a month and you own ALL the music as long as you keep the subscription. You can download as well.
15-10-2020, 08:33   #3
SteM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
Well, there's Spotify. €9.99 a month and you own ALL the music as long as you keep the subscription. You can download as well.
YouTube music costs the same though and you can upload your own music so if you have albums that aren't on the service you can rip them, upload them and they get integrated into your YT music catalogue.

The OP is looking for a free service without ads
15-10-2020, 09:23   #4
donspeekinglesh

I don't think there's any free cloud-based solution for listening to your uploaded music ad-free. GPM was unique in that regard.
Thanks from:
15-10-2020, 09:28   #5
banie01

Quote:
Originally Posted by donspeekinglesh View Post
I don't think there's any free cloud-based solution for listening to your uploaded music ad-free. GPM was unique in that regard.
Only solutions that spring to mind are either root based or local storage.
GPM will be a loss in that regard.
Advertisement
15-10-2020, 09:32   #6
davo2001

Join one of the family Spotify groups here on boards, a years subscription costs €30 so works out at €2.50 per month.

I've been doing it for years and works out great.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057764331
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2020, 10:18   #7
Brian CivilEng

I don't know if it is something you'd be interested in, but my solution was to set up a Plex server, and host the music myself. They have a great app, PlexAmp, for listening to music.

I have Spotify too, but they don't have all the music I want and I do have a big collection of mp3s built from CD rips and Google Play.
15-10-2020, 11:11   #8
donspeekinglesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian CivilEng View Post
I don't know if it is something you'd be interested in, but my solution was to set up a Plex server, and host the music myself. They have a great app, PlexAmp, for listening to music.
Do you need Plex Pass for that?
15-10-2020, 11:25   #9
Echoes675

Get Youtube premium, no ads and all the music library. If you use a VPN to connect to India, then purchase your subscription it is done in Indian Rupees. Cost me less than £5 per month!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-10-2020, 11:33   #10
Kobe

Depend on your listening habits. I was in the same boat. But to be honest I listen to the same songs most of the time so I decided to buy those songs either in CD form or in MP3 form or just borrow from the library when possible. Then I put them in my phone.
I used to like the idea of unlimited music on demand, but now I'm sick of not owning the music and just pay monthly to rent the music.

Last edited by Kobe; 15-10-2020 at 11:38.
15-10-2020, 12:13   #11
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes675 View Post
Get Youtube premium, no ads and all the music library. If you use a VPN to connect to India, then purchase your subscription it is done in Indian Rupees. Cost me less than £5 per month!
£5/month? Wadu Hek.

I have a family YouTube premium account via India, and that's only costing me about €2.50/month for 6 people.
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2020, 13:42   #12
whomitconcerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes675 View Post
Costs me 1.50 a month. But of course I am in Argentina...ahem.....
(3) thanks from:
15-10-2020, 13:56   #13
Brian CivilEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by donspeekinglesh View Post
Do you need Plex Pass for that?
Ah sorry, you do need it for the Plex Amp app. The normal Plex app is free and works OK though.
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 08:03   #14
Tec Diver

Send a message via Skype™ to Tec Diver
I do have a fair amount of songs in the collection ATM, but I rarely listen to newer stuff, so I'm not really interested in subscribing to something where I only listen to my own collection.
16-10-2020, 08:08   #15
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tec Diver View Post
I do have a fair amount of songs in the collection ATM, but I rarely listen to newer stuff, so I'm not really interested in subscribing to something where I only listen to my own collection.
Rip it all to an SD card on device. Rather than phone memory. Job done.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion