Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-10-2020, 13:21   #16
billbond4

The Free headphone offer is available
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058121996
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-10-2020, 17:49   #17
flazio

The headphone claim site mentions Vodafone and eir. Fingers crossed for Vodafone. Would make Christmas shopping a lot easier if I just had to fork out around €300 instead of the €900 I'm trying to save to.
19-10-2020, 18:38   #18
flazio

The headphone offer site now lists Carphone Warehouse as another valid purchase vendor although I don't see the phone on either site. Mind you the offer is open until the end of the year and not likely to be as busy as the Pixel 5 offer.
21-10-2020, 21:24   #19
rizzee

This is getting excellent reviews. It's definitely on my radar along with the OP8T. Sony phones usually plummet in price. I'm holding off til Black Friday to compare some deals. Have no use for the headphones, so would probably just sell them on anyway.
21-10-2020, 21:25   #20
Plumbjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzee View Post
This is getting excellent reviews. It's definitely on my radar along with the OP8T. Sony phones usually plummet in price. I'm holding off til Black Friday to compare some deals. Have no use for the headphones, so would probably just sell them on anyway.
The 21:9 aspect ratio is fantastic. Once I got used to it on my Xperia 1 I found all other phones to feel fat and bloated. Super comfy and easy to use.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 17:14   #21
rizzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbjob View Post
The 21:9 aspect ratio is fantastic. Once I got used to it on my Xperia 1 I found all other phones to feel fat and bloated. Super comfy and easy to use.
I bought a Mk1 today for €150 (small mark on the screen) to get a taste of the size I really like it.
My god, the fingerprint scanner is woeful though.
Works 1 in maybe 5 or 6 goes. Have registered the same thumb 3 times now so fingers crossed. Also with the FP scanner and power button being separate, it's a tad annoying going between one and the other.

Anyway - sorry to derail. I'm still looking forward to checking out the Mk2
23-10-2020, 07:54   #22
flazio

The finger print complaint was quite common from what I've seen unfortunately. (never had this phone myself) I can never understand how companies forget how to do something they had working before. I had a Xperia Z5 with a fingerprint scan unlock on the power key and it worked perfect most of the time. My current phone, the XZ2, has a rear mounted scanner and it still works a treat as long as I have a relatively clean finger and/or phone. I use it to log into Revolut or N26 apps.
Not seen anyone give out about the scanner on the 5ii so looks promising there. Been checking the Vodafone and Carphone websites perhaps a bit too regularly for a while, heart lept a little when I saw a new Sony on Vodafone, sank when I realised it was just the budget entry L4.
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 12:09   #23
rizzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
The finger print complaint was quite common from what I've seen unfortunately. (never had this phone myself) I can never understand how companies forget how to do something they had working before. I had a Xperia Z5 with a fingerprint scan unlock on the power key and it worked perfect most of the time. My current phone, the XZ2, has a rear mounted scanner and it still works a treat as long as I have a relatively clean finger and/or phone. I use it to log into Revolut or N26 apps.
Not seen anyone give out about the scanner on the 5ii so looks promising there. Been checking the Vodafone and Carphone websites perhaps a bit too regularly for a while, heart lept a little when I saw a new Sony on Vodafone, sank when I realised it was just the budget entry L4.
I've sold the phone already. Nearly lasted 24hrs!!!
27-10-2020, 13:11   #24
WoollyRedHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbond4 View Post
Anyone have any experience of ordering from here.. do they deliver to Ireland?

Eir also selling phone but not sure if phone will be unlocked?
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 16:00   #25
KillerShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoollyRedHat View Post
Anyone have any experience of ordering from here.. do they deliver to Ireland?

Eir also selling phone but not sure if phone will be unlocked?
Most likely will be locked from Eir I would say, that place seem to only deliver the Great Britian, so either parcel motel or try https://www.clove.co.uk/collections/...32872771846187
Thanks from:
27-10-2020, 19:31   #26
flazio

I'm still holding out hope that there's a reason that Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse are on the list of possible purchase points for claiming the headphones on the Irish Sony site. Clove say that they are receiving stock on November 1st so perhaps I'll wait until then.
You might think I'm crazy but taking out a 2 year contract in order to get a 2/3rds discount on the handset would be a great help for Christmas. Currently I'm on a Vodafone 30day rolling at the moment so it'd just be a simple upgrade. I think I'm pretty much committed at this stage. It seems as if the Pixel 5 would be a slight shuffle forward rather then a big step up from my current XZ2.
Thanks from:
06-11-2020, 20:19   #27
flazio

So, A week into November and Eir are now sold out of the handset, still no sign of it on Vodafone or Carphone Warehouse, however it is available at Currys for the very inflated price of €960, I wonder if I bought it there if I could claim the phone was bought at "Carphone Warehouse IE" on the Headphones claim site as CPW and Currys are both under the Dixons umbrella.
I'm still wary about importing the phone myself. Would I get the headphones?
07-11-2020, 16:28   #28
billbond4

Has to be from cpw.ie
Its in the T&Cs https://www.sony.ie/electronics/supp...icles/00250441
10-11-2020, 00:19   #29
WoollyRedHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbond4 View Post
Has to be from cpw.ie
Its in the T&Cs https://www.sony.ie/electronics/supp...icles/00250441
How is it that Sony can run a promotion with retailers that still don't stock the phone that promotion is valid with i.e. Vodafone IE and CPW IE?

Also don't understand note in T & Cs: Enter the campaign website (Ireland Only) and click on the “Claim here” button to register. Claims must be made online from October 12th and no later than January 31st, 2021 otherwise they will not be accepted.Note: Claims can be submitted between 03.09.2020 - 07.11.2020

Last edited by WoollyRedHat; 10-11-2020 at 00:28.
10-11-2020, 18:22   #30
billbond4

Vodafone haven't started selling it yet, should be in the next few weeks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion