Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Another missive from his serious beardyness, John Waters:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/0104/1224328422900.html

It harks back to an article he wrote a while back:
    I finished with the following paragraph, intended as a parody of the phenomenon I had described: “Personally, I would prefer if, instead of pursuing individuals tweeters, the police arrested Jack Dorsey, the creator of Twitter, and closed his network down. Actually, i wish they wud burn the Twitter founder in oil leave his carcass out for the buzzards. Seriously.”
    Resorting to the kind of language he complained about has backfired as it's resulted in a complaint:
    Even I, who had railed against the assassination of irony perpetrated by internet discourse generally, was astonished to hear that a representative of the Twitter organisation had telephoned (yes, telephoned, and on a landline too!) my page editor at the Irish Times to complain about that final sentence. She said Twitter had seen my article and was very unhappy. The final paragraph “crossed a line”, they felt. Asked if she wasn’t able to observe some note of irony in the “buzzard” sentence, she replied: “No, I don’t see that.”
    I can see a number of problems:
    1. John Waters isn't known for his sense of humour, not to the general public at large, so he's more likely to be taken seriously.
    2. Irony and sarcasm don't always come across clearly in written form, even on paper.
    3. It's also a very old trick to make an obnoxious comment and then claim to be joking.

I suspect 1 and 2 are the factors at play here.

I'm not sure if the person who contacted the paper was from Twitter or was a concerned user.

John Waters has had a problem with a tweet:
    And here’s another irony. Some weeks later, I had reason to attempt contacting Twitter to request they remove a defamatory posting timed to attack me at a late stage in November’s so-called children’s referendum. I discovered Twitter does not make available either a telephone number or address for complainants to use.
    The complaints procedure is here:
    https://support.twitter.com/groups/33-report-abuse-or-policy-violations/topics/122-reporting-violations/articles/20169998-how-to-report-abusive-behavior#

He then claims that the culture of online discussion has become dangerous and makes a suggestion:
    In some instances, as we’ve recently had reason to observe, the effects of such commentary can be terminal. Free speech and democracy are far better served by a regulated system of commentary, which insists on basic civilities, foremost among which is that participants identify themselves before contributing.
    He doesn't see that pseudonyms can help discussion by giving someone a chance to talk about something that might carry a stigma - for instance, mental health problems, in a way that won't have negative repercussions for them.

He then goes on to discuss legal issues to do with media and ISPs. I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with the background there, so I'll leave that to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

A comment from the IT article above:
    If John Waters published that on Boards.ie he'd be instantly banned for trolling. Now THAT'S ironic.

:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,847 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mr. Waters doesn't like people saying mean things about him? One way to curb that is to stop being an ass!

He wants to shutdown a service that has over 140 million users because of probably less than 100 users? It's not as if the tweets he didn't like are sent to his inbox, he has to search them out. Which is even more difficult to do because (AFAIK) he isn't a registered user.

What about twitters like these? People mobilised to clean up London after the riots in 2011. And that's just the most obvious example I can think of, there are plenty more examples if you go looking.

And the suggestion that people who don't use pseudonyms will be more civil/courteous is a nonsense. Unless twitter verifies every user, how would anyone know that a user is who they claim to be?

Mr. Waters just seemed like the following in my head after reading his article.

AbeSimpsonTooMuchInfo.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    A comment from the IT article above:
    If John Waters published that on Boards.ie he'd be instantly banned for trolling. Now THAT'S ironic.
    Waters isn't likely to be banned from A+A if he stuck to the forum charter.

In fact, I think it would be useful for himself if he did drop by and tried to discuss some of the issues that annoy him with with some of the people he's continually being rude about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

robindch wrote: »

In fact, I think it would be useful for himself if he did drop by and tried to discuss some of the issues that annoy him with with some of the people he's continually being rude about.

I agree, it would be very useful. Of course, he could already be on A&A anonymously. Wouldn't that be a delicious irony? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pauldla wrote: »
    I agree, it would be very useful. Of course, he could already be on A&A anonymously. Wouldn't that be a delicious irony? :D

Let's play hunt the Waters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

He said that the internet was a fad(There's no new information on it apparently) about a year back. So I doubt we'll be seeing him around these parts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

lazygal wrote: »
    Let's play hunt the Waters!

anti-skeptic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

It’s given John Waters a fright,
    To discover the plebians can write,
    Whatever they please,
    It’s disgusting that these,
    Little people exist in his sight.

Broadsheet's limerick for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus. You could have warned us about the picture.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Smalfut.jpg

Uncanny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

ninja900 wrote: »
    Jesus. You could have warned us about the picture.

I could have... but where's the fun in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That is something that I really, really wish I hadn't seen. ever. I feel like I need to wash my eyes out with lemonparty it's so horrific and disgusting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Links234 wrote: »
    That is something that I really, really wish I hadn't seen. ever. I feel like I need to wash my eyes out with lemonparty it's so horrific and disgusting :eek:

Well, I take it you didn't see the naked photo of Nell McCafferty which those bastards in the Irish Times printed, without warning, on page 9 of an issue some years ago. Turned over from page 7 while eating my lunch and nearly spat it all over the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What was Sinead O'Connor thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I would like to know why is that every time I see a warning or set of negative comments about a picture in that link I still proceed to click the link anyway and spend the rest of the day or series of days wishing I didn't? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    I would like to know why is that every time I see a warning or set of negative comments about a picture in that link I still proceed to click the link anyway and spend the rest of the day or series of days wishing I didn't? :o

Me too. :(

If I wasn't a lesbian before seeing that I would be after....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

@DavQuinn

Venomous and toxic social media out of control http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/0104/1224328422900.html#.UOb6PQGqMSg.twitter … Great piece by John Waters today.

Someone loves John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sarky wrote: »

"Jesus...?"

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If I wasn't a lesbian before seeing that I would be after....

Damn near turned me into one too.

Oh wait.

Scrap the cap!

Nodin wrote: »
    "Jesus...?"

'Chewbacca? Is that you???'

You went wrong with the last word there.

She's a free spirit kinda gal, don't judge...

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    She's a free spirit kinda gal, don't judge...

Did Sinead have her 'lesbian' phase after John? T'would explain a lot..... ;)

koth wrote: »
    Mr. Waters doesn't like people saying mean things about him? One way to curb that is to stop being an ass!

He wants to shutdown a service that has over 140 million users because of probably less than 100 users? It's not as if the tweets he didn't like are sent to his inbox, he has to search them out. Which is even more difficult to do because (AFAIK) he isn't a registered user.

What about twitters like these? People mobilised to clean up London after the riots in 2011. And that's just the most obvious example I can think of, there are plenty more examples if you go looking.
    Ah yes, but you are looking at what's on Twitter - John Waters seems to think that the less he knows of something, the better off he is to sermonise on it.
    And the suggestion that people who don't use pseudonyms will be more civil/courteous is a nonsense. Unless twitter verifies every user, how would anyone know that a user is who they claim to be?
    Publishing under his own name certainly didn't stop Waters making the comment about shutting Twitter down and burning the owners' body in oil!
    Mr. Waters just seemed like the following in my head after reading his article.
    Back in the 1990s he had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about mobile phones (he was agin' them of course). I happened to read a piece a while back where he mentioned the Dundrum shopping centre and, in passing, his mobile phone. So he'll probably get on Twitter in about 15-20 years (assuming it's still operating).

He does have an internet presence - at http://www.johnwaters.ie/ - the site doesn't seem to be updated very often - the copyright date is 2008 and the articles page doesn't have any articles - just a link to the Irish Times, but it's an old domain, not their current one.

A blogger (Mr. Waters' favourite kind of person) has estimated the worth of the most recent article:
    http://www.boomingback.org/2013/01/the-true-value-of-john-waters.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

tawnyowl wrote: »
    A blogger (Mr. Waters' favourite kind of person) has estimated the worth of the most recent article:
    http://www.boomingback.org/2013/01/the-true-value-of-john-waters.html

Hmmm. That does provide an explanation to why the Irish Times keeps printing his nonsense.

Less valuable than a picture of a horse's cock? Who'd have guessed?

Less valuable than a picture of a horse's cock? Who'd have guessed?
    I wonder what Breda 'Iona' O'Brien is worth. Anyone care to see how she compares to a horses cock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well her articles are a load of horseshít. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wonder what Breda 'Iona' O'Brien is worth. Anyone care to see how she compares to a horses cock?

Well the horse's member has a useful purpose. Now Breda......

I'll never be able to unsee that picture of John Waters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Electric shock therapy might do the trick.

And he has the gall to whine about people from the internet offending HIM.

I wonder will we ever feature in a John Waterboarding article? Or has boards.ie already fallen under the dour gaze of Ireland's leading voice in the moral crusade against people being rude on the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'll never be able to unsee that picture of John Waters.

Don't know if this will work for you, but I find that people who have myopia have a distinct advantage on recovering from traumatic pictures on the internet.
    Step one : Remove all optical aids.
    Step two : Wash face with cold water.
    Step three : View traumatic picture.
    Step four : Repeat step two and dry face.

With any luck the image that's now stuck in your head will be as blurred as your uncorrected vision so it will be far less traumatising. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    Don't know if this will work for you, but I find that people who have myopia have a distinct advantage on recovering from traumatic pictures on the internet.
    Step one : Remove all optical aids.
    Step two : Wash face with cold water.
    Step three : View traumatic picture.
    Step four : Repeat step two and dry face.

With any luck the image that's now stuck in your head will be as blurred as your uncorrected vision so it will be far less traumatising. :)

and why did no one tell me this before I got laser eye surgery????:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

I hate to disappoint the young men here, but when you hit John Waters' age you are very likely to end up looking much the same, sans vetements :D

(Minus the pose and the straggly hair, though.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

swampgas wrote: »
    I hate to disappoint the young men here, but when you hit John Waters' age you are very likely to end up looking much the same, sans vetements :D

(Minus the pose and the straggly hair, though.)

Untrue. This is untrue.

You young men, unless similarly disadvantaged by having a face like a badly beaten and half-drowned goat, will only put on the belly. And not that, if you do manual labour into your 50's. It's cool....you can avoid that look if you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Speaking of looking like John Waters, anyone see him in the Lidl leaflet this week promoting their new range of fresh fish?

freshness.jpg

^^^ At least that guy has his clothes on, even if he does smell of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Galvasean wrote: »
    Speaking of looking like John Waters, anyone see him in the Lidl leaflet this week promoting their new range of fresh fish?

freshness.jpg

As if john-boy would ever do an honest day's work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

He hasn't gone away you know...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/0201/1224329515546.html

Imagine if John would just f*** off

Imagine no religion......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Imagine no religion......

Imagine all the people....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

...ignoring Waters' ****e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just one thing I'm going to pick him up on here:
    This was the 40th March for Life, the first having taken place in 1974, the year after the historic Roe v Wade decision of the US Supreme Court.

Since then some 56 million abortions have taken place in the US

Waters suggests to us that abortions have only taken place since Roe v Wade. That is categorically false.

The reality is that abortions took place, they were just extremely dangerous and often resulted in the deaths of many women undergoing them.

Relevent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R316aLsk3M&feature=player_detailpage#t=685s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I actually attempted to read that artical, but fury drove me from it, So all i can say is that what i read was such a load of ****e </critique>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does he make any better points than liberals are 'reacting against tradition'? Because if it doesn't I'm not wasting my time with the rest of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement